2018-07-17 21:38:10

Hi, everyone.
Can someone recomend me some plaiable side  scrollers? It could be any console type, wether we're talking about play station, Nintendo, Sega or anything else.
Thank you in advance

2018-07-18 07:49:36

Hi.
Shank, the first in the series for consoles is the best sidescroller I ever have played.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-07-18 15:29:48

Thank you for your recomendation, I've heard of this several times, but never tried.
Any other recomendation is good if it's plaiable, even for Sega or NES

2018-12-05 20:08:43

hi
i can recomend some fightings: mortal kombat, and street fighter.
also, you can try playing duke nukem Manhattan project
about nes, i have good experience with playing teenage mutant ninja turtles 3, but in some places, you may need help from sighted people
slj, how you can play shank?
I tried but nothing good happened

let's rock!

2018-12-05 20:33:46

Can any of these be played on windows?

2018-12-05 21:12:42

yes

let's rock!

2018-12-05 22:00:18

Streets of rage remake. When you first boot up the game you are asked to choose a language, english is the second. Then you enter your name with the keyboard and hit enter and your set. The manual will list each mode in order and explain them for you. The profile you create is for keeeping track of your high scores and unlockables, and there are a lot of unlockables!e

2018-12-05 22:19:19

sacret citadel its an other greath sidescroller very playable.

Sorry for my english

2018-12-05 22:50:13

Hello_
Shank is mostly playable. But to answer your question I'll probably need to know what went wrong exactly.
If it's simply related to the menus, I don't remember them so well, but what I remember is that this is pretty logically designed, so you can easily start a game by pressing enter on the first item of each menu part. Next, when you try to load your game, I think that this is the second menu item.
For gameplay itself... Here is what I remember . Note that we're talking about commands on windows :
left ctrl : use your knifs, the basic weapon you'll allways keep.
=alt, use the selected ranged weapon, two guns by default, only one if you're climbing something.
=right ctrl : try to grab an aponent in melee combat.
=left shift : use the selected secondary mellee weapon, chainsaw by default. Most powerfull than your basic knifs, it deals a lot more damage of course.
=right shift : try to make a big jump that'll make you cross nearly all the current map, assumign there's no platforme or anything, and try to grab an aponent on landing. Use with caution but don't hesitate either since it's terribly effective to finish a basic ennemy in one move.
=space barre : simply jump like in a standard side scroller, meaning that used alone, it will make you jump on your current position, and combined with an arrow key, it will make you jump in the selected direction.
=arrow keys, they make you turn, move left or right, and ame up or down respectivly.
=capslock : make you change to a defensive stance. You can use this to try to pary a preidictable  ennemy blow, or to crawl through the map to move faster and safer. This makes you vulnerable to massive attacks or grabing so be carrefull. Note that sometimes you'll have to press capslock and down arrow to take a solid defensive stance, usefull agains some bosses for example.
-1 and 2 (from your alphanumeric keyboard) : use this to bross back and forth in your ranged weapon's list.
-3 and 4 : idem for your secondary melee weapons' list.
-escapte : pose the game of course , press again to unpose.
-enter key : throw a grenade in the faced direction. If your own grenades can never harm you, bare in mind that, in coop mode, they can certainly hurt your partner.

Ok all I can do now is giving you a short list of usefull kombows. Note that there are apparently complexe kombaws, but I've never noticed any concrete difference when usign them.
-right ctrl , left ctrl three or four times (usually automatically completed if you press the key enough times), then left shift or left alt. This is a close combat kombow, usefull when you know you're facing a close ennemy, and when you're sure that he's small enough to be unable to knock you back (time and use will learn you the difference). This kombow may leave the ennemy alive though.
-right shift, left ctrl a few times, and left shift. Will grab an ennemy from a distance and, if you succede, will perform a small cinematic, leaving the ennemy as dead as he can be. Again, only works on small ennemies.
-down arrow plus left ctrl, if performed a few times, can easily push an ennemy forward, trip him up, and killing him faster. It works better if the ennemy is alone, but it's pretty effective.
-finally, right ctrl followed be an arrow key can throw an ennemy away from you, assuming you're using the opposite arrow key based on the direction you're facing. For example, grabing an ennemy right to you will force you to press the left arrow key for the kombow to work. If this technic doesn't deal much damage, it can help you throw people from a building's roof, or right into a potentially deadly machine. Those two situations are lethal and provides a lot of fun additionnally.

I hope it will help you.
I want to mention that I think that my English is far better than a few months ago. I think this was close to be entierly understandable. It loks like one beer can drastically improve your language skills... or not, juge by yourself. Anywayb do not hesitate to tell me if you need further information!

Best regard,

Simon

2018-12-06 08:22:40

Hi.
Yep, Shank is indeed very playable. @arturminyazev: I just play the game by listening, pressing the right buttons and by killing a ton of bad guys. smile This is the best answer I can give out from your question. big_smile
I played the game on my old ps3. If it comes to the newer consoles, I'm going to pick it up right away.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-12-06 11:19:11 (edited by JLove 2018-12-06 11:19:56)

So, I just went looking for Shank, and it appears that the only place to get it is Steam.  However, at the moment it appears that it is impossible to even log into steam.  OCR doesn't read steam worth a damn.  It never did, but now it's even worse for some reason.  At least before, when I was running Windows 8.1, I could log in and install the games I bought.  This time when I tried installing Steam after installing Windows 10, OCR was so awful that I couldn't even decipher enough to log in.  Fucking ridiculous.

2018-12-07 22:16:24

Speaking of Shank... does anyone remember how to pick up the damn shotgun in level 3? lol I'm stuck, as stupid as that sounds. If I remember right, picking stuff up is done with the melee button, but I can't find the gun on screen anywhere.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-12-07 22:31:32

As far as I remember, it's picked up in a dialog where you have to confirm you want to take it. I think it will show up automatically and you'll just have to press enter to confirm...
But it should happen in the begining of the level. If it didn't... then maybe you've skipped the option diaog, I don't know honestly.

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-08 03:39:43

Regarding steam login etc REMEMBER TO READ MY GUIDE everything is in there and it's still working as previously. You don't need OCR to use Steam.
Blindninja, the nevest build changed some things like picking up items and now it works like you need to press down and grab button. Basically I am playing the older version with classic system. You can install the classic version of Shank by going to the game's properties and going to the beta tab.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2018-12-08 04:04:40 (edited by Shadowcat 2018-12-08 04:28:35)

Oh, that explains a frickin' lot... lol also explains why I couldn't find any recovery items whatsoever in the first level.
Thanks!
Edit: Apparently, the classic thing is no longer available... which is quite disappointing. I also noticed from watching some stuff on Youtube the cutscenes were changed slightly.
Edit edit: Never mind I'm stupid... just because OCR doesn't see it at first glance does not mean it's not there... disregard previous edit. heh

2018-12-08 09:57:17

@15 what I did I just copied the Movies folder, installed the classic version and replaced the old folder with the nevest one to have remastered cutscenes. Basically you don't need OCR, use NVDA mouse cursor to navigate the steam and you'll be fine.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2018-12-08 13:25:08

If you don't mind old titles, Disney's version of Tarzan on pc is definitely playable, especially the ripped version. (I mastered it).
If you have emulators that can save anywhere, Rockman/megaman x titles are worth a try, though they tend to be super hard after the first stage.
A prince of persia title on psp is side scroller and is playable. (I can't remember which. Have to look in the psp collection in my external hard drive) Also, many Naruto ultimate/narutimate titles are sidescrollers.
I'll post more if I can think of something else. There're a few playable ds titles as well. Megaman zero series/zx/zx advent are playable even, though much harder than Megaman x series.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-12-09 04:25:34

So I see three different versions of Shank on Steam.  Shank (2010), Shank 2 (2012), and Shank & Bake (2019).  Which ones are playable?

2018-12-09 04:55:50

Did you read the games description? Did you check the developers? Shank 1 and 2 are from Klei, this third title you listed is totally different game. Shank 1 and 2 are playable even if Shank 2 is more difficult.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2018-12-09 10:09:54

Hi.
how do you actually go about installing the classic version of Shank? I can't find anything like that when I go to the beta options of the game.
Also, how do you pick up items? i thought it was the a button, but I read above that it was the button to jump, at leased on a controler.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-12-09 10:13:51

It is in the beta tab, you need to click on 'no beta' or something similar and the list will expand.
A is jump, X is light attack and also pick up items (works only with classic version)

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2018-12-09 22:40:41

Hey Lirin, just wondering. Would you happen to have any tips for the fight with the APV? I keep dying... lol people say just stand at the edge of the train and spam dual pistol shots, doesn't seem to work though.

2018-12-09 23:20:06

This is what I did actually and it worked. Somewhere behind you you can pick extra grenades and remember to use them too. Just remember to stand close enough to hit it with your bullets.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2018-12-10 10:47:18

checkout dust, pretty good side scroller beat em up. its for all the consoles including pc

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-12-10 11:06:16

Do you mean Dust: an Elysian tail? This one is not playable due to many platforming elements.

Twitter
Add me on Steam