2018-12-08 21:02:49

Blind Mice has shit tons.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2018-12-08 21:24:51

this is horrible because the 21st century CVAA bill, which requires audio description to be available, is poorly enforced. Most networks tend to use the SAP (secondary audio program) for forin language dubs, rather than for audio description, which could be a Severe violation of the CVAA. I actually threatenned to sue all of our local ophiliates (king5, KPTV, KGW and KPDX) for violations like this (OPB isn't covered by the CVAA because PBS and dvs share the same station and so have easy acces to audio description). even then, people in smaller Areas are being screwed out of Audio Description for no reason. Only KPTV ever used SAP for audio description and even then only for a few shows.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-12-08 21:35:55 (edited by the_ruler_of_dark_forces 2018-12-08 21:37:35)

@20
I totally agree with you!
I'm a person from Estonia who's account got suspended and when I wrote to them asking for the reason, the answer was simply that they do not ship to this country.
Of course the workaround was to reset the password every time you wanted to log in, but I am quite sure that was not what they intended to.
So that forms my opinion towards their attitude towards their international customers.
Of course there can be some legal problems concerning this topic I cannot grasp, but it still leaves quite a sour taste into my mouth.

2018-12-08 21:49:20 (edited by jack 2018-12-08 21:49:35)

You guys need to remember that while it is a pain in the ass to be rejected internationally, keep in mind the blind mice is, by and large, a marketplace. Its primary goal is not to be a movie vault, the movie vault is supposed to be a thankyou for supporting the marketplace. So if you're just there to milk everything they have for free, odds are they are going to think ill of that. This is an independent marketplace where almost all the items there are being sold by blind individuals or groups, the least you can do is buy at least something if you're able. Or donate. Or anything to that effect.
With that in mind this obviously does not excuse the loosely enforced nature of cva, and it almost makes me want to see them try to take a site down over this so that we can have a reason to fight more directly.

2018-12-08 22:13:46

@29
Your post actually makes sence. So I just contacted them asking if they will accept donations from the other countries and after that officially restore my account there.
So yeah, probably should have contacted them beforehand and then started ranting here about it. But will see what they are going to answer.

2018-12-08 22:16:37

This is why I really think they should just put a crypto miner in the movie vault page. That eliminates Paypal complications internationally. Embedded crypto miners get met with a lot of shit negativity, but not the miners themselves so much as the fact that most sites that embed them just shove it into the main page without letting people know. But it is actually a very underrated way for sites to make slow revenue without resorting straight to ads.

2018-12-08 22:20:24

Hi.
@Jack, I am curious now, how much stuff does this shane server you are talking about have? Regarding the TV shows I mean.
Thing is that there is still a quite huge list of shows I wanna watch.

greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-12-08 22:27:05 (edited by Chris 2018-12-08 22:27:34)

I don't understand this. If the problem is simply bandwidth, switch to another provider. I'm not surprised that Sendspace charges more as you use more bandwidth. Sendspace is a piece of shit. Like I said, they could migrate over to Google Drive or something else. Either do that or convince all these studios and producers to do the right thing and offer audio described content. I don't care if they have to get it from the UK! I'd rather have description than none at all.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-08 22:31:23

The only thing I don't care for in a lot of the UK descriptions is how they duck the audio of the movie or show. The description just takes over and you end up missing the sound or dialogue.

2018-12-08 22:40:57

Netflix has started to do that, sadly. They are ducking in The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

2018-12-08 23:36:42

Balancing volumes is quite a tightrope to walk as far as applying description to a track. I know this due to the description track I'm applying to a movie, and for that I have seemed to have found a balance between not too loud and not too quiet either, without ducking the volume of the actual movie. And as much as I can, not spilling into movie dialogue. Although I've broken that rule only in bits of the movie that had too much audio to have spaces in between, and as it so happens those segments were clearly available elsewhere, in the soundtrack for example, so it wasn't a huge deal.

2018-12-09 01:28:21

Jack, I just sent you a PM.

And 15 is right, a lot of that content does come from other sources, so I don't understand what the huge issue is, besides the fact that Sendspace is overpriced for what it does. A few years back, it was the most accessible file sharing site out there by a long shot. These days, there are a ton of options, both free and paid, with varying degrees of accessibility. Surely they could find another way to host the content?

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-12-09 03:23:39

Alright, @turtlepower17 Check your pm's. Just sent you one.

2018-12-09 03:56:15

personally, i've watched all the good old movies and all the new ones are usually crap. So if they went the other way and  removed movies in favor of tv shows that would have  been much more better. although that still would  require more storage and bandwidth.
but my point still stands. all the new movies are crap these days. tv shows however you can find pretty great ones around. so, RIP.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2018-12-09 06:20:54 (edited by ammericandad2005 2018-12-09 06:27:17)

also, the audio ballancing isses are not isolated to the UK, I've heard such issues in some American Audio description tracks. Howoever, those in the US aren't as severe. Using Aladdin and an arthur Episode as examples, the ladder only drouned out a few sound effects during the musical numbers, while in the ladder it bearly drowned out the openigg theme. However when DVS uses conadian contractors, as they did for their VHS of the hobbit (the rankin-bass version), the mixing is inoffensive at worst, and that's overselling it.
also, Theitor Vision (dvs's rival) went the extra mile by using actual celebraties as narrators, usually ones connected to the film (for example, the DVD of Star wars episode III is narrated by Count Dooku himself). of note is the Described version of It's a wonderful life that first aired in the early 90s on ABC featuring the voice of George Bush SR himself, coinciding with signing of the Americans with Disabilities act which is so heavily enforced to the point that Indevidual state governments got wind of it and started funding expensive AT purchises via their blindness rehab departments.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-12-09 09:24:35

Hi,
For many people that don't live in the US UK or CA or some other countries in Europ, the blind mice was is the only way to enjoy any and yes, I want to highlight that "any" quite a bit, any described content at all be it movies, tv shows etc. and its truely terrible to see this happening.
The Admins of BMMV could if they so wished gone to some other solution such as a google drive subscription and I am sure there'd be enough donation for such a thing, or some other option instead of upping and deciding to just throw away all the tv shows that were mind you given to them as they say by Volunteers. but eh, I guess we gotta just shrug and move on.
BMMV is known for such decitions I.E when it actually IP blocked all the countries but the USA from accessing the movie valt lol that didn't really work out that well plus the flack they recieved made them rethink their decision.
And yes, Movie valt is free, but it is 2 things.
1. a attractor of people to your site I.E when people come to the mall the mall entry is free, but that in tern gets them attracted to different things, makes the customers look at things and perhaps buy so its free, yes, but its not entirely useless to them.
2. People actually donate to keep it up,so its free for some but its donationware as well, so they aren't actually! paying out of their pockets for this thing. but say even if they are paying for it a bit here and there, its an investment, look at point 1.
so yes, a shame to see this happen, and I guess besides netflix (I have subscribed to because of how good they are at adding ADVS and how regularly they do it) many users outside the first world countries will be left up in the air as always.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2018-12-09 18:25:18 (edited by Chris 2018-12-09 18:35:53)

Let's see if I can grab all the Star Trek content before it goes away. This is still dumb! What are they going to do? Just delete all their links? Who hosts all this content? This is ridiculous! I guess I won't be getting anymore audio described episodes of Orphan Black season 5, Doctor Who, Wynonna Earp, etc unless there's another repository.

2018-12-09 19:20:09

There is, Chris. Either send me a pm or twitter whatever and I'll give you more info.

2018-12-09 19:25:07

Jack, I just sent you a PM.

2018-12-09 19:26:22

Same as well. I'm also posting because the forums doesn't have  unread notification features

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2018-12-09 20:47:01

jack,
i also sent you a pm regarding this topic.

2018-12-09 21:26:21

If what SirBadger said in post 15 is true, most of the Sendspace links should still be active even after they are taken down from the movie vault. Therefore, we should be able to copy the links to a text file and download them at our leisure. That's probably what I'll have to do since there's a lot of content I want to get off there and thanks to the blazingly fast 80 KBps download speed, it's going to take forever.

2018-12-09 22:38:54

well, this is another issue, we have to deal with in the blind com. how lame. isn't there anything we can do? time to download a lot of shows in the next few days. dam.

2018-12-09 22:58:45

I don't get why anyone would use SendSpace for anything. I've always hated it, and they slip ads files that could damage a Windows PC into the movie files downloads, which sucks. They should try Google Drive, for business, as someone said. I barely download movies from there anymore as I've got too many in my Chromebook and the SD card in it.
Beth

2018-12-09 23:35:50

they should just use google drive, or dropbox to host there movie vault. the download speed would be much faster, and I don't think they would have to pay for bandwith, just for the space itself.