2018-12-02 18:17:04

1. Why do you like muds in general?
2. What are some things that you don't like?
3. What real world system would you like simulated in a mud?

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2018-12-02 19:02:25

In terms of contents and complexity, no audio or video game can be as expansive, imaged and complex as a mud can.
2. Some muds with auto-quests, auto-combat, auto-explore...auto anything that makes the game simpler and boring by any mean.
3. I'm all for anything as long as its contentful, though right now admittedly complex zombie post apocalyptic seems to really lack for some reason.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-12-02 21:03:10

muds, what do I like about them? Well simply, most of them are more feature ritch than most audio games, the same goes for some certain browser  games too but that's beside the point. For some reason, muds always seem to beat other multiplayer audio games in terms of complexity and sporting a fleshed out world. There are things you can easily do with text that just aren't doable in audio without a lot of coding effort and sound design.
Muds, what don't I like about them? It's really hard for me to stay interested in a mud that doesn't have a soundpack. I have no idea why this is, just that it keeps happening. I really want to like muds even without sounds, trust me I do. But I just can't bring myself to play those for long. This is the reason I keep coming back to games like alter, cr, or sc, and give other muds like the 7th plane little thought.
Muds, what do I want to see more of? So far, most muds known to the blind comunity are either futuristic scifi, or good old fantasy settings. Possibly with the exception of epitaph, which didn't exactly impress me (just a bunch of empty areas and rooms after the tutorial), the night which I didn't hear too many good things of, and flexible survival which is just plane fucked up. What we don't have is a more modern setting, where you play within the 20th or 21st century, possibly an urban setting revolving around chrime and gang wars.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-12-06 13:01:08

1, i like the amount of detale most muds have and the amount of extra things that can be added.
2, i hate when you do a tutorial and that's fine you get through that fine then the mud throws you in a random city and says, play no help nothing.
3. i would love a playable hacker/cyber crime mud

2018-12-06 13:56:46 (edited by Dark 2018-12-06 17:57:27)

1: Like Conner and Mata have said feature rich rpgs with lots of quests, areas, things to do,  regions to explore etc, whats not to like?
There is just so much possible  in text with detailed commands that you can't do otherwise.

2: The  dislike for me are muds with guess the verb type quests that make progression impossible unless your in the know, especially when they then have a "never ask other people for help" rule which effectively just means quests are impossible to complete for anyone who isn't in the top guild/clique/creator's friends. Going on from that, I also don't like Muds that don't give me any way to progress solo, either by making all my progress dependent upon other people, either by dropping me off with nothing to do as shane said, giving me no way to actually progress on my ow without fighting other playersn, or worse in one case, literally leaving me with nothing to do but beg. I also don't like muds with spammy combat for obvious reasons.

3: I'd love to see a scifi mud with an original world based on actual space colonisation, having to care for your colonists, gather  resources, fight off aliens etc. At the moment the scifi muds tend to all be of a fairly stock spaceship system, and though some like cosmic rage have done really interesting things in terms of activities, none since wayfar1444 have really given me that idea of being alone on a hostile planet having to fight against the environment to survive. Indeed, its interesting that there are some very detailed crafting and exploration muds like clok and avalon in a fantasy setting, and none in an sf one.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-12-06 14:39:43

Hello folks! Ok then, let's bite big_smile
1: I like the freedom of having players contribute with the game world, be it by building their own house, clan, castle, etc, crafting items with custom descriptions, roleplaying, etc. In general I pretty much agree  to what has been said.
2: I dislike fake promos. I know muds can be open to virtually anything, but if yours is not, don't tell me it is capable of holding all kinds of characters. I wont name the MUD in question, but I was once drawn to a game announcement telling that the only limit is my imagination. Ok then, went there and made a ranger of sorts. He agreed to protect the city, but wasn't going to live inside the walls. Said game didn't have means for a player to survive outside a city, no cooking, no woodcutting, no fishing, skinning, butchering...
3: I'll second Dark here. A good futuristic or a well built medieval world would be awesome.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2018-12-06 21:42:43

I wanted to create a mud more as a simulation where you have utilitys for your house and you have a factory system that produces all the goods. More of a realistic life for practice and training for when people live on there own if that made any sence.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2018-12-06 22:51:23

I'd love a MUD modeled after The Sims. I really want to play that game but EA will make it accessible when Hell freezes over. I'd either take a MUD or an audio game.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-06 23:32:21

@Haramir, there are some pretty good medeival muds out there. Clok has a fantastic wilderness survival system with detailed fire starting, cooking, as well as hunting, fishing, skinning, fletching, carving your own gear from wood etc, I was especially impressed myself at the need to  visit the bath house on occasion you do visit the city big_smile.

I've also heard good things about Lament and cursed lands in terms of wilderness survival and skills, though I've not really got too far with either of those.

For more see Mirage's list of cooking and crafting based muds, along with the topic itself

This is why I'd love to see a scifi game with these sorts of elements, since there's something about having to explore an alien planet and survive there that really appeals to me, especially if you have to take care of colonists in the process. It probably wouldn't be too hard to make a mudh like that using code from something like Empiremud I suspect, though it'd take some good and detailed writing and careful working out of systems.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)