2018-11-28 23:13:51

That's actually a fun challenge to me... because even with that defence, in the last few stages 1 major mistake would mean almost instant death.
......Yeah, I'm gonna try it. tongue 1000, you said? No assigned points to HP?
Sorry Smoke, lol didn't know you wanted to wait for it to be complete, wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise. Props to you on the HTML tagging though in the various sections, love it.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-11-28 23:45:35

No problem. It's my bad for not mentioning it. It will be completed in the next couple days either way so not a big deal. Just uploaded stages 19 and 20 today. I might get 21 recorded and edited tonight not sure yet.

I also never assigned points to hp, just bought fruits and used those when they became available.

2018-11-29 00:12:35

I need to check out your play through Smoke J.

2018-11-29 03:55:27

The few bits I've heard are very quickly and neatly done, for the most part. I haven't listened to stages 11 and 12 though, so it's entirely possible smoke plays the 'god damn it Carla" drinking game.
He did miss the spin sword in 19.1 however. I used Liam's stream to go back and get it because I was an idiot and had no idea how to get up to that platform.

Just nerving myself up to get two more yoyos at this point. I'm assuming I can't get a yoyo and then just exit the stage. Since it requires keeping Carla alive, and there's a lot of things that go boom in those levels, it doesn't look like fun. But hey, I did it once. I only have to do it twice more.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-11-29 09:57:12

Okay. I think what is needed for sure is to mention the camera navigation and give you the compact sonar.
Btw, reading topicks like this is one of the most interesting parts of game development. So please keep this up!

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2018-11-29 10:37:22

I actually disagree with the sonar being made as a default item, i feel like not having it at the beginning helps add a little extra challenge to the game. Plus, you already start with it in chaos edition.
Personally what i’d like to see a major speed increase for regular running. I think the speed drink speed seems fair, so that’d be around 200 ms. Of corse you’d have to up the speed drink speed as well.

2018-11-29 12:08:54

Hmm... While I understand that everyone uses speed drinks, doesn't it break the realism a bit if I set it to 200 or even 150 ms?
Btw, I checked the section on bsg and found that 25-5 was entirely missing. Stage 25 exceptionally has 5 acts, so just pointing that out if you didn't notice it. I really appreciate your compilation and audio playthrough files.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2018-11-29 14:39:41

Nah. Jacking up the running speed will just make the game harder in some ways (easier to fall in pits) and much easier in others (you will be able to outrun enemies easier). If you mean speeding -everything up? No, that just makes the game harder overall, and there are higher difficulties for that. I think normal needs to be a little easier pretty much across the board, but I'll take camera/sonar as a hell of a good start. I'm glad you're not 100% closed to ideas to help improve the game, because it's quite good as is.

I have a triple yoyo now, and oh my god is that thing strong. Full disclosure: I beat MudKiller with cats, but if I'd done the triple yoyo thing first, I could've done it that way. It breaks walls better than the regular yoyo does. Am at 23.2 as we speak, and am not going to be beating the game anytime soon.

2018-11-29 15:11:15

I'm another one who doesn't think speeding it up is a good idea. The speed drinks already up it quite a bit and having a character that runs insanely fast already makes no sense whatsoever and basically eliminates the whole purpose of those drinks, as well as making it less realistic and thereby less fun, imo.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-11-29 16:14:50

I think speeding things up might be smart. I also think the sonar thing is great, and I thaink you for listening to ideas. I may try the game again if these things happen. Like I said before, I am not attacking you at all. Developing a game is not an easy task, and I appreciate you listening to consumers.

2018-11-29 16:40:49 (edited by assault_freak 2018-11-29 16:41:32)

Zuckuss, I'm curious... if you think the game is too hard already, how is speeding things up smart? That means platforming and the rest will be less easy to do precisely, if the character movement is faster... frankly, I think it's fine as is. Unless a game specifically calls for it, characters should not be zipping across the screen at lightning speed. Not as a norm, anyway.

2018-11-29 17:03:37 (edited by Shadowcat 2018-11-29 17:04:57)

I'd disagree as well, I honestly think the game's difficulty and running speed are perfectly fine as they are. There's an actual level of difficulty this game has that most audio sidescrollers just... don't have, and that is amazing to me. Also, the chaos version already gives you a speed boost, it did actually make platforming slightly odd at first.

2018-11-29 17:11:14

With the best will in the world here, I'm going to go ahead and say something you might not like. You got to stage 3.something, right? I'm not entirely sure you're in a position to talk about game speed. If you complete much more of the game and still feel the same, then okay, but you haven't really even scratched the surface yet. Here are a few things you can expect in later levels:
1. Complex platforming where stepping the wrong way will send you to a nasty end (down a gap to the floor below, remember that falling more than 20-ish squares is instant death)
2. Fire stones which spawn fireballs; these explode when they hit you, and in later levels they can come in groups
3. Enemies that barrel across the screen (you've seen boulders already, but imagine stuff that moves faster, hits harder and will seem even quicker if your max running speed is higher if you're moving toward one another)
4. Bombs/bomb platforms. yes, stuff can and will rain down from above sometimes. Extra speed can be a godsend, as most of these target your last position, but if you're moving too quickly it's entirely possible to dodge right into one. Take it from me. I've done it.
5. Soldiers. These are pests at a distance, and sort of dangerous up close because of a different attack. Feel like having one pop right up in front of you?
Yeah. There's more, too, but that should about cover it. At the game's current speed, these are all very copable if you figure it out. And I should let you know that the fair majority of the game does not, in fact, use tricky platforming. You're only going to see the nastier stuff in stages 1 (for a very, very brief while), 2 (again, very brief while, with the lamps), 7, 9 (I think?), 17, 21 and 24-25 (not at 25 yet so I can't say).

Speaking of...
I'm now about to start 24.4. 24.3 was a lot of fun, after I figured out when to use the hook in order to not go splat at the bottom. I worked my way up from the bottom; not sure if that's the way you're supposed to/the way it was programmed, but either way, it works. The level with the switches and cylindrical containers was also very clever. Well done.
So can anyone give me a rough idea of what overall stats/items should look like before I try 24.4 and beyond? I feel semi well-prepared, but I could be better. Also, best levels to grind on, particularly coins. I'll buy hundreds of fruit if that's what it takes. Looks like I may, in fact, be finishing this game sooner than I thought.

And while I do not retract my prior statements about this game not entirely being for me, I appreciate what it's trying to do. I think, for me personally, the game could have some of its levels taken out/combined/made a little easier, and it would hit the sweet spot. There are just a few too many skyracer levels for me, overall, and some of the exploration levels could've been combined. Might've ended up with a game that had a total of 60-70 levels instead of 101. I feel like 11-12 and 15-16 get really repetitive, for the most part, for instance. Anyway, aside from those gripes, it's a neat game. Can't say that I'll be going and unlocking absolutely everything, but you never know.
If and when I do beat the game, by the way, how does upping the difficulty work? Do I keep my stuff? Do I keep my stats? Will I be able to see how much monsters get boosted before I choose, and if so, would I just want to take the next highest difficulty? Or can you jump from normal to something two or three levels up to speed things along, for instance?

I know this is a lot of stuff to ask, but hopefully someone can weigh in. I have been pretty well ignoring BlindNinja's stat distribution, btw, because I think I'm higher level than he was at this point.

2018-11-29 17:36:04 (edited by Shadowcat 2018-11-29 17:40:59)

You might very well be, lol I did not grind all that much, just enough to where the true grind started. Don't have the patience for that in any game I play.
My recommendation to you for items would be something like this.
50 Stun recoveries, if you're not as paranoid as me, maybe fewer.
30 power and defense drinks, I actually didn't use that many of them, but... better to have them than not.
A fair amount of speed/super speed drinks.
Lots of bread for healing, actually scratch that, make it lemonbread, because that is most assuredly better than what the normal bread would heal right now.
Royal jelly, 1/4 health and stamina is a pretty good drink.
Either many super shuriken or chaos nuts from the secret spot, trust me... being able to throw tactical items at least 10 spaces will be critical for something you'll see later, because you really don't want to tangle with this thing on the ground.
Stat wise, if you've at least seen my stats at that point in the game, you could use that as a baseline if you wanted.
Otherwise, I'd shoot for 450-500 for both attack and defense, my tech was 130 because cat spear. I powered myself up to 330 stat points of stamina using nothing but fruit, can't remember the actual stamina value now but I probably could've gone down a little bit, but having it that high also means I never got tired, which is nice.
If you bought said defense drinks, about 460 stat points in HP should be perfectly serviceable.
Weapons of note: electric stick for groups of weaker enemies, high jump shoes will make life easier, the cat spear for if you just want to blow through everything, super or hyper snipers for those death desks, triple yoyo is a nice all rounder, megaton hammer will definitely come in handy and the super buster blade's defensive mode has saved my bacon more than a few times throughout my time playing this game.
If you want coins, 18-1 was and probably still would be my go to. Just abuse the electric stick, powerbomb launcher and minigun if you have it.
Edit: Actually, what am I saying? Triple yoyo, all the way.

2018-11-29 18:04:00

I can wreck 18.1 with the triple yo-yo, no problem.
I have a ton of lemon bread at this point, and you're right, they're way, way better than normal bread.
I'll work on stun recovery, because it'd be nice not to die horribly. I like that death just loses you time, instead of, y'know, actually penalizing you.
Don't have the cat spear yet, and don't have my tech up that high. I do have cat's explosive front paws for some reason though. I don't know how to craft a cat spear (as in, there's some piece of it I'm missing and I don't know what it is/where it drops, it's a weird name). Do I need it if I have the super buster blade, megaton hammer electric stick and yo-yo?
I don't have very many chaos nuts (spent most of my nuts on bread, lol), but I could farm/get hold of tons of shuriken if I have to.

Thanks, btw. I will grind some, and then post my rough stats in a bit.

2018-11-29 18:08:54

Jade, as a dedicated fan of the game, I absolutely agree that there are some levels that could've been combined to make things more streamlined. I would've liked to see more dogfight levels rather than the amount of levels that are just dodging turbulants and shooting magic bariers, and stage 15 and 16 could've probably been combined into one stage. But for what it does, and considering this game was developed mainly by one guy... I don't think I can say mch more than that in terms of gripes. I have tem too, of course.

2018-11-29 18:26:14

There's a place in 8-1 you can go to get 20 chaos nuts at a time. And technically no, you don't need the cat spear, but post completion weapons aside, it's the strongest melee weapon there is, period. Most of the thing's parts are found either through UFO catcher or the landing spot that rains items after the dial's been changed.

2018-11-29 18:43:08

I say get rid of platforming and speed up things a bit, but that's just an opinion. Things would be much easier without jumping around all over the place.

2018-11-29 18:49:45

My first playthrough I did it almost all with the triple yoyo once I could get it. What I wish on the Carla stages, because she is really stupid, is to be able to give her some direction. Stay to my left, or something like that. I always end up killing her several times attempting those stages. the other option would be once you beat the stages have the option of redoing them without her like you can in, I think 10.1?

thanks,
Michael

2018-11-29 20:46:33

So I took the plunge. Bought a pile of healing/stamina-recovery items and stuff, and am at 25.1
so far my question is: how the hell can I destroy the security jet without also destroying the lift sensor? The triple yo-yo sounds like a single hit, but it mustn't be, because I killed that jet four different times and it always took out the sensor. The launcher system+crystal thing was cake, by the way.
I have 440 atk and def and about 2680HP right now. I think my max stamina is around 900. wish me luck. lol

2018-11-29 21:02:11

You shold be good to go with those stats. Use a weapon that doesn't hit multiple times, that's my advice. The tripple yoyo hits three times wherever it finds something, so if you destroy an enemy that drops a descructable item, you'll likely end up destroying that as well with that particular weapon. That's especially important to note when you destroy boxes that contain pieces needed to progress. My advice is use a gun or get in close and use a blade of some sort.

2018-11-29 21:19:18

The triple yoyo actually doesn't hit 3 times, what's happening is the penetration effect some weapons have can hit multiple targets on the same space. They all destroy items if whatever you just killed dropped something.
Solution, hit the jet with the yoyo as much as you can without blowing it up, then just run in with the megaton for a final smash.

2018-11-30 00:08:15

Gotten to 25.3. Hoo boy, that one's a dilly. I admit I sorta sprinted through 25.2 and just ate a couple of speed drinks to get through faster. Got some kills too, but didn't want to hang around. What's up with the locked door there, anyway? Guide doesn't mention that at all, I don't think.
Also also? Lord Dragons should absolutely, totally, 100% be a boss on some previous level. Having to face one of them as a boss in, say, stage 23.4 would've been cool. I mean okay, fighter helicopter's' not bad, but it's actually pretty boring. A dragon in a 100-tile room would at least keep you on your toes. I love the variety of attacks on that thing. It's a shame you can only see them once you hit the point in the game where you can't go back. Very nice concept.
You know what else would be neat in some boss areas (not all, not by any means), especially where the boss could fly? A couple of gaps in the roof where you could fall through and die. As in, one-square-wide holes. so for instance, if a room was 200 tiles across, there might be a hole at squares 50, 100 and 150. This would make it a little harder to dash around. Alternatively, you could make the coordinates such that it's a long, long drop, and with the magic hook you might be able to recover if you're quick. Areas this might be useful would be 23.4, 12.4 and 19.4. Of course, I don't know if enemies can fall down pits.

2018-11-30 00:19:03 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2018-11-30 01:17:02)

hahaha, that door is a little bonus item that is just not unlockable right now, and speaking of which, I wonder if anyone has ever managed to kill one of the fireballs on that terrible room... you would get so so much experience at once, that I would think the game would just crash. Actually, there are many funny ways to die. I would love it if you could downgrade your xp by doing something you were probably not supposed to do or that runs counter intuitively to the game, that would be fun. I just like the idea of having freedom for many things in the game, it did have its battle times but to me it was a wee bit like .. you are free, do whatever you want now at times.
Right, and where do I get the chaos edition? I have not had any success finding it, though I doubt its in English.. but knowing the game helps navigating it I guess.
edit! ah, found it!
@68
lost steam there, didn't you
Put simply, a game that is easy is a dumb/boring game.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-11-30 01:25:51 (edited by flameAlchemist 2018-11-30 02:04:40)

does the dictionary work with the chaos version?
Just tried it. the dictionary doesn't work.

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.