2018-11-26 05:50:45

I want a podcatcher, dictionary/thesauraus calendar app that supports google calendar, a weather app, an alarm clock, and news reader.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-11-26 07:12:30

I mean, I guess.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2018-11-26 07:13:46

accept News doesn't work.

2018-11-26 10:26:57

Hi there.
as for the calendar, news reader and podcatcher.
try the programs from web IE. You can find them here.
www.webbie.org.uk/

2018-11-26 12:31:20

A dictionary application which is for free is Word web. As for other applications you mentioned, they are well covered by your phone if you have an Android or iOS device.

2018-11-27 03:19:21

I would tend to agree with the last post. If you're an NVDA user, though, you can get the Weather Plus add-on, it works well. As for news readers, I'm not really sure what to suggest other than QFeed, although that would of course require you to add all the RSS subscriptions you want to follow manually. Plus, I can't in good conscience recommend that developer's programs anymore. it would be one thing if they were free, but they're not, and his unsavory behavior over the years has pretty much soured me on anything he may or may not do in the future. QFeed does still work reasonably well, though, so if you don't care about that, go for it. I can't really help with a calendar or alarm program, because those functions are pretty well covered by either my phone or my Google Home.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-11-27 03:31:35

Grab Day by Day pro. It obviously doesn't have a google calendar ability, but it remains my favorite calendar interface-wise. Simple, no clutter whatsoever, and just all around fun to use. ANd it's free now, so what could be better.

2018-12-01 04:00:15

Well, the thing is I'm getting a GPD Win to replace my book port pluss as a media  player and recorder, then I thought, well, it's small and I'll be carrying it around every day, why not get some other stuff done with it. I Like the Web IE stuff. I also found the Speak On Media sweet that also has a good podcatcher in it. So, All I need is an accessible alarm clock, calendar app, and news reader. I can use NVDA weather for that, but I hate how you have to manually add locations and since I travel around between cities quite a bit it's kind of annoying. Also, do you guys know of a way to get a better facebook experience on windows? furthermore, I still need an alarm clock. The steve's clock only sounds once. I guess I can use the one in Elten but you can't make it repeat.

2018-12-01 09:51:07 (edited by Chris 2018-12-01 09:57:12)

For a decent clock that can also report time on the quarter, half, or full hour, check out Stascom Utilities found at https://www.stascom.co.za/stascom.html

As for the Zuckerberg network, I'd say don't use it, but that's probably not convenient or even an option for you. The less I say about Facebook, the better. Zuckerberg and his pals have no interest in letting people write better experiences for their service via APIs. You'll either have to use the crappy web interface or the Windows 10 Store app which isn't that great based on my testing a while ago.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-12-01 19:26:42

I guess there's no other way to use the Mark Zuckerburg network... Oh well. I only use it for messenger because I hate typing on a touch screen and I can contact people on my BrailleSense Polaris. Also, someone should make a web wrapper for facebook like on the BrailleSense u2. It litterally has facebook open in a web browser but simplifies it's UI. That should also be done for Google Docas because right now that is a pain in the ass to use.

2018-12-01 20:51:36

A good talking clock and reminder system is bsc talking clock.

2018-12-01 22:29:08

Yeah agreed. Q is never getting my money... Overpriced yet minimalist programs with longstanding bugs, that lose functionality over time with no attention given to fixing them.
What a waste.

2018-12-02 08:39:49

Yeah, I'm honestly regretting sinking my money into all of those apps, and I did buy all of them. Very disappointing if you ask me. The only one that still works very well is QRead. Chicken Nugget is gone, and QCast and QFeed have annoying issues that crop up all the time. QSeek was a cool concept, but in hindsight, I didn't need it, I thought I was just supporting a good developer at the time. I wonder if it still even works. If the rumors are true that Chicken Nugget might become open source, I sincerely hope that the others will as well, particularly QCast. It blows my mind that there aren't any good podcatchers for Windows anymore, at least ones that don't require a great deal of finagling to make them work sort of OK. How the heck is there not a command line program sort of like YoutubeDL for that purpose?

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-12-02 09:46:03

I know right? it's kind of crazy to me as well...

2018-12-02 19:54:15

I have just updated my free accessible diary to include calendars for 2018, 2019 and 2020.  I was a fan of day by day professional and I am glad to hear it is now free.  I have tried to design my diary to be as quick and easy as possible, but the downside is that it is only for windows.  Would be interested what folks think of it, strangely with nearly 1000 downloads it is one program I have had virtually no comments about.

Try my free games and software at www.rockywaters.co.uk

2018-12-02 21:20:47

hey, rocky, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see a clendar app like day by day pro that has iCal support. That would be cool. I don't know if you guys agree, but Day By Day was far ahead of it's time. It really didn't  make sense to me to use it with this big huge laptop I have, but now that I'm getting a GPD Win, it makes more sense, the problem, it came out in 2002 so there's no google calendar support. I think Justin was a little ahead of the times. If a full windows pc that wasn't windows CE had existed in that time it would have made more sense, even if google calendar wasn't there, because who as a business person wants to stop to pull their big huge probably 10 pound laptop out of their backpack or breef case and update their appointments or contacts when they'd have to wait for it to boot and then do what they needed to do then shut it down and put it away. This is why I look forward to getting my GPD  Win, because personally I hate typing on a phone. I don't like dictate either because it messes up and I hate people hearing what I'm doing so might as well call the person I'm dictating texts to. And it just looks rude when you have your phone out, at work or school, when you're trying to take a note or something. I think the GPD win will open up a lot of opertunities for people even if they're not gamers, because it's windows that can fit in  your pocket, and not a stripped down version either.  Anyway, rant over.

2018-12-02 23:21:40

ICal support is out of the question, as I doubt Apple has an api. Google Calendar/outlook is more like it. I do agree about Dbd being way ahead of its time. It was simplistic yet powerful, I feel it's what a mobile app should've been, indeed one you might've probably seen on Windows ce/mobile.

2018-12-02 23:23:12

I actualy meant Cal Dav or Google calendar.

2018-12-02 23:23:35

It's too bad that the feature to call contacts in DBD is virtually useless now, as it's near impossible to fake a dialup connection by USB tethering to a smartphone. As far as being a one-stop-shop for everything related to calendar/contacts, it's as good as it gets.

2018-12-02 23:30:14

Yep, agreed, portability is hugely important with many aps.Sadly I have limited time and this only extends to one platform and windows is not very portable.

2018-12-03 03:20:27

That is unl.ess you buy a GPD win.

2018-12-03 05:22:46

If you use Wine, you could possibly extend to mac as well.

2018-12-03 17:26:26

I have Just seen that python has a library so ics file support is on the cards, at least theoretically,for both python and for accessability.  In practice though, you will need a program designed from scratch, not a bolt on.  For most, if not all, VI friendly programmers, time is short and money is non existent.  Simply think of the resources apple, google or Microsoft can throw at their office suites and compare it to an unpaid part time individual.  It is possible for me to produce small, practical and useable programs, with easy hot key features to make them practical for the VI user.  Mirroring the functionality of the iPhone is not going to happen..  I used to teach the Microsoft office suite and I dislike the calendar in outlook.  Accessible yes, cluttered, totally yes. Useable, no.  Sometimes we find the mainstream, all singing all dancing, actually works for us, sometimes we find it expensive and not accessible or not useable, and sometimes we find something simple accessible and free.  Different solutions work for different people.  At the time DBD was a good solution for me and I was happy to pay for it, now I use my own accessible diary as it does all I need, though it will not phone a contact, but if needed I could send my schedule via email, not that I want to these days.

2018-12-11 12:13:03

well, the podcatcher task has been tackled, I couldn't find a news program so I subscribed to the CBS and NPR news podcasts instead. Still no alarm clock. The  problem that I have with the default one is that when the alarm goes off NVDA can't find the stop button in the app and the only way to shut it up is to restart my pc, because it imbeds it's self into the audio process in Windows or something. It would also be nice to have a count down timer utility.

2018-12-11 16:29:23

Just use bsc talking clock as your alarm, I believe that still works under win10.