2018-11-20 22:51:21

Howdy.

I've been browsing the audio games this community has given life to over the years and I am pleased and impressed. There is definitely a wide variety of games to satisfy the different types of experiences gamers are looking for.
Before I lost my vision, I enjoyed collectable card / deck building games like Magic the Gathering and Yugioh, though right as my vision was fading fast I discovered Hearthstone, and that's what really inspired me.
Sadly, I cannot play Hearthstone. It was just outside the realm of feasible with magnification options and how graphically intense it is, not to mention the strict time limits on your turn.

I passionately want to bring an experience like Hearthstone to the blind community.
For better or for worse, I am no programmer despite my great respect and fascination of coding languages.
Neither am I wealthy enough to fund a project like this through the usual channels, as I imagine is the case for most of us with great vision loss.
What I do have is incredible enthusiasm and inspiration to make this a reality, what I believe is a very compelling beginning to a magical setting rich with characters and atmosphere, and a card combat system for it to take place in.

I don't believe this could be done without a team. I'm unsure whether the nature of our audio gaming community leads to a lot of people working on projects for the sheer desire to put them out into the world, or if it is more common that projects are sustained through funding on platforms like Kickstarter.
Regardless, please do let me know if this is something you are interested in playing, or even better if it is something you're interested in helping come to light. I have a lot of game specific ideas brewing, but I don't want to post them publicly just yet for I think it would be unfair to flaunt something that could easily change once there are more chefs in the kitchen, so to speak.

I'm proud to be part of this community of breaking down barriers and having fun.
Feel free to reach out to me directly if you'd like as well as here below.
Twitter: @Tyler_MoonSage
Email: [email protected]

2018-11-20 23:32:10

I feel the same. I really would love that. I still play mtg sometimes with brailled sleaves, and also enjoy hearthstone-videos on youtube.
I would deffenatly pay to play something like that.

We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering.
Carl Sagan

2018-11-21 03:57:30

Yeah generally if you want something done right, your either gonna need to expect a long dev time and to go through a few different people before your done, or your gonna need to pay people (probably audio game outsiders) and do a Kickstarter and to spread the news to the blind community as a whole. For this ambitious of a project you probably want that second one, and you'll need to make a concept demo or some videos for people so they know you mean business, which means money out of pocket at first.
You could make reward tiers for backers, and let them preorder if you want, then charge anyone who didn't back it the normal price on launch.
But, don't aim for the sky and expect something of comparable quality/depth to a mainstream title or you'll just end up crashing and burning.
Having a good laid out plan is a very nice start though, and as long as you can do PR as well then, not being a sound designer or coder your self shouldn't be too bad of a disadvantage.
Still, your going to have to rely on the word of others that they are skilled enough/available enough to help, and in this community, that's a pretty big risk.
Generally I'd avoid any coders/sound designers younger than their early 20s if at all possible, but that at the same time narrows your choices massively.
Ask them about schedule and such before hand as well, and be ready for all sorts of compromises and delays, even changes to your ideas because coding is kind of a bitch.
Oh and, don't set solid release dates, it's just a terrible idea, set general ones if you want to keep the hype going.
Also, pick your beta members carefully and keep your team small, replacing inactive members as needed. Give them a survey to weed out the bad ones that asks about previous beta experience, audio gaming experience, type of system if your doing it multi platform, stuff like that, and make them write a bit so you can get an idea about their communication skills.
Don't leave them hanging for weeks on end either or they'll stop caring, and give them a place to easily submit bugs and suggestions, and update everyone about commonly reported ones so you don't get swamped with duplicates.
That's basically all I got as an outsider looking in and occasional beta tester, You'd want to talk to Joseph Westhouse probably if you wanted more.

2018-11-23 07:26:24

I feel the same way--I'd love to work on this. However I have too many projects in the pipeline right now.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2018-11-25 23:46:17

Their is the yugioh mud made by tspivey which has a base of about 15 players on at a time playing yu-gi-oh.  It's a mud setup, and their is a sound pack for both vipmud and mushclient.
You can get the mush pack from here.
http://www.github.com/timtam/yugioh-sou … master.zip
If you wanna help work on the mud it's here.
http://www.github.com/tspivey/yugioh-game/
I've never played mtg, but would love to check it out, same with hearthstone.  Until that day comes I'm very happy with the yugioh mud as we keep the card databases updated.