2018-11-13 02:38:28 (edited by seb 2019-02-07 19:13:37)

This topic is about my walkthrough for Resident Evil 7. There's already a topic about this game, however it's an old one and I didn't know much about the game at the time.

If you're wondering if this game is playable, let me tell you that it is. Now before you claim that it's one of those games where you need to spend hours searching for the right way to go, let me stop you right there. If you do have good coordination and / or a good memory, you are going to be able to fully complete the game without sighted help at all. You are going to need to be patient for sure, and I've mentioned in the past that some mainstream games are not suited for everyone. Keep in mind that I am fully blind and I've been able to complete the game last year with no sighted help at all. Due to a few requests I'm willing to record an audio walkthrough of the first chapter to show you that this game is definitely enjoyable even if you're blind. The reason why I'm only going to post the first chapter for now is because this game takes a while to complete and I'm not going to post a full audio walkthrough if only a few people are interested. Keep in mind that I am not able to record a walkthrough with commentary due to my setup, however you will hear my screen reader reading the walkthrough while I'm playing. I'll follow all the directions written in the same guide uploaded.

Notes:

The game is fully accessible using OCR with NVDA and you're going to want to use it for the inventory menu. You also want to change your sound settings and set it up for headphones. If you're planning to use speakers to play, do yourself a favor and don't bother playing the game. The game is so detailed that you need the different sounds to orient yourself.

This game definitely does not suit everyone, however it is by far the best mainstream game I've ever played, hands down.

Guide
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h93pb99tln548 … e.zip?dl=0

2018-11-13 07:18:05

Hey seb2314
!!!!!

That's awesome!!!! I'm interested in this guide!!!!!

Hearthstone Tag ID: RobotWizard#1265216

2018-11-13 10:58:37

Hello seb,
I've read many of your posts about this game. Each time I tell myself I have to try it. ONe thing prevent me from doing it : you say that you managed to beat the full game without any sighted help. But what about this guide you are using? Couldn't it be considered as some kind of sighted help ? Don't get me wrong : the idea is certainly not to reduce the impact of what you managed to do. The only reason why I'm asking is that, if you need such a detailed guide to even be able to play the game, then I'm probably far less interrested.
I was talking about Shank on this forum a few days ago. When I tried to find some guide or walkthrough of this game, it was only (as sighted people could have done), to understand a boss' pathern. If this is the kind of information you find in guides for resident evil, then I'm totally ok to try. But if you need a step by step guide to know where you're heading and what you're looking for, that's not the same to me I'm affraid.

Best regard,
Simon

2018-11-13 13:50:36

Hi.
Thanks a ton for bringing this game up again. I've been busy lately, but I'll check the price for XBox and see if I can get it cheep for Black Friday, or if the price has dropped. Well, I'll get it anyway. smile
I have a question regarding to the OCR part:
Are there any settings I need to set in the XBox app on the computer to use OCR? I'm using a virtual machine on my Mac, and it freaks out when streaming to my computer, so I haven't given it a serious try yet. But I will do that for sure if it helps using the inventory. I have tried using Seeing AI on my 49 inch tv, but it doesn't work for me. Maybe because the screen is too big. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-11-13 15:09:49

Nice guide seb, keep it up, looking forward to the next part.
@SLJ:
The price now is $29.99.
For the OCR settings and the xbox app, no you don't need to do anything, it just works.
However, make sure that your pc screen is on, because if you use the Screen curtain addon for nvda to turn it off, OCR will not work.

2018-11-13 15:35:18

At post 3, yes the guide might sound like I'm using sighted help. However, keep in mind that a lot of sighted people are also using walkthroughs from gamefaqs.com, for example. The only reason why I'm posting up a guide is because some people might feel more at ease being able to read instructions on what to do if they're stuck somewhere. Basically the guide is just here in case you get stuck , however the game  is pretty linear so you definitely don't have to follow the walkthrough step by step.

@post 4 I'm afraid I can't help you there since I have the game for pc. However you shouldn't need to do anything perticular to use OCR with the XboxOne. I do have a few games for that console and the OCR works relatively well. I hope you find out what's causing your issue.

2018-11-13 18:02:09

Hi.
Thanks for your replies. Wow the game is cheep for the XBox. So, there are a lot of extra purchasable content which seems really cool. Do you know if any of those are accessible? I might buy the whole package which cost around 40 dollars to see if I can get anything out of it.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2018-11-13 18:28:32

I haven't tried the other game modes, so I wouldn't be able to tell you. That's a pretty good price though

2018-11-13 18:50:12

@SLJ:
Honestly, I wouldn't buy it, I always go for the standard additions of games.
Mainly because I am not sure if I can use the extra content that I will buy with the amount I have to pay for the upgraded addition, and second: that extra content might be just a waist from my point of view.:
Example: clothes, extra skins, etc.
Now I am not talking about resident evil specifically, it's just how I go about it when I think about buying an ultimate or deluxe addition of a game.

2018-11-13 19:57:50

Hi:
This sounds interesting. I have two questions.
1. How do I get the PC version?
2. THe latest version of NVDArecommendsnot installing the OCR addonon Windows 10. Can I use Windows 10's OCR instead?

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2018-11-13 20:54:19 (edited by seb 2018-11-13 20:55:03)

@post 9 I have to agree. Plus from what I've read the gameplay changes a bit if you play the added content for resident evil 7.
@Post10 You can get it on steam and I also use windows 10's OCR with NVDA.

2018-11-13 20:58:24

MasterChief wrote:

@SLJ:
Honestly, I wouldn't buy it, I always go for the standard additions of games.
Mainly because I am not sure if I can use the extra content that I will buy with the amount I have to pay for the upgraded addition, and second: that extra content might be just a waist from my point of view.:
Example: clothes, extra skins, etc.
Now I am not talking about resident evil specifically, it's just how I go about it when I think about buying an ultimate or deluxe addition of a game.

I completely agree. Therefore I have checked what you get out of the extra content:
Two game modes, which seems like arcade modes. I'm not sure since I don't know much about the game yet.
One or two extra levels, where you get extra story content. That's how I understand the description, but I might be wrong.
An extra character called Chris, the main character you are playing in one of the earlier games. He is good at close combat, which might turn out to be more accessible.
There might be more, but that's what I got by reading the descriptions. Therefore, I think it sounds quite useful, and might be worth trying when I'm going to buy the game anyway.

Best regards SLJ.

2018-11-13 22:21:29

In general, do people find that OCR works better on PC than via streaming from xbox? Unfortunately, my only PC is a laptop so a lot of games won't run. Does anyone know the requirements for this game?

2018-11-13 22:39:16

@jfayre:
Here are the Resident Evil 7 System Requirements (Minimum)
• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460, 2.70GHz or AMD FX-6300 or better
• RAM: 8 GB
• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or AMD Radeon R7 260x
• PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
• VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
• DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2048 MB
Resident Evil 7 Recommended Requirements
• CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz or AMD or better
• RAM: 8 GB
• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 or AMD Radeon R9 280X or better
• PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
• VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
• DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2048 MB

2018-11-15 15:09:05

Hello all!

wow! RE7 is the best game IMO for the PS4VR platform, not even counting the accessibility factor. And it is also accessible with PS4 actually one of the most accessible games I've tried so far. So glad to know that this game can be played fully blind. I have some friends I will recommend it now that I know.

Haven't been here for awhile...Never before that much anyway... Cool to find people like me playing challenging games with patience smile.

I played RE7 through with PS4 and PSVR helmet...I'm not completely blind, the accuracy of my sight is like 0.03 , I see enemies when they come near by and recognize some objects and some don't. I used an IGN walkthrough page to help to complete the game.

I use ZoomText with computer and the cool thing about RE7 is that the inventory menu zooms when you just get close enough. Would be awesome to have s screen reader like that for PC or Mac smile. All the objects have written names in inventory menu so I can always check what I  just collected. The hardest parts were those where you had to rotate an object so that it's shadow makes a picture on the wall.. With a bit of luck and extra patience I got them right smile.

All the best to everybody!

-- Mikko

2018-11-15 21:44:43

Hi:

Glad to know that a mainstream game is  playable by the visually impaired. Maybe if would be possible for someone to write an NVDA addon specifically to read those pards of the game that currently require OCR.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2018-11-16 16:47:35

Hi,
I picked up this game for both PC and XBOX. Can someone give me an idea around controls? I can't find a controls list that isn't graphical.
My biggest question is, how does turning work? When I move the right stick, is there a good way to know how much I have turned? If I move the right stick up and down, what does that do to my character?
If someone could post a controls list for xbox and/or pc, that would be great!

2018-11-16 18:09:35 (edited by seb 2018-11-16 18:11:51)

All of your questions are answered in the guide i uploaded on the first post, let me copy/paste the document here:

XboxOne/PS4

A/X action
X/Square reload
Y/Triangle inventory
Left Analog stick backward+b/circle turn around
LB/L1 block
RB/R1 use herb
LT/L2 aim
RT/R2 shoot
Left Analog Stick move
Right Analog Stick turn
Note: You use the right analog stick to face a different direction. By moving it left or right you are turning at a 30 degree angle. Every time you hear Ethan's footsteps while turning it means you turned at a 90 degree angle.
Example: Let's say you are facing north and you want to face east. Move the right analog stick right 3 times. You will hear the sound of footsteps being the confirmation that you're facing east.
Click Left Analog Stick run
Click Right Analog Stick crouch
Back/Select view map
Start pause

The inventory menu is setup like this. Note that the menu doesn't wrap

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12

It is possible to get more slots if you find some backpacks. Also, note that some items takes two slots.

Moving the right analog stick up/down will force Ethan to look up or down, there are only a few times in the game where you want to do that.

2018-11-16 18:49:24

Thanks! The guide I have doesn't have those instructions. Maybe I got an older one. I'll download again. Thanks!

2018-11-17 08:03:13

Hi,
Ok! I'm making some progress.
I managed to get into the house and get the video tape from upstairs. When I find the VCR to play the tape, the tape doesn't have any talking. I can play the tape and take control of the character, but the other people on the tape don't talk. They do on your walkthrough. Any thoughts as to what might be going on?
If I stop the tape and try and turn around, I can't find the lever to open the ladder down.

2018-11-17 15:14:54 (edited by seb 2018-11-17 15:24:01)

Hmm. Are you playing this on PC? Try to see if you have the latest drivers installed for your sound card/video.

2018-11-17 15:41:35

I am on PC. It's strange. All other sounds in the game seem to work. It actually just occurred to me though, maybe I have my voice volume in the game turned down.

2018-11-17 15:44:09

I doubt it. If you start a new game, do you hear voices during the first cutscene?

2018-11-17 17:51:44

Yep, that was it. I had messed with the volume settings and didn't realize I had turned the voice volume all the way down. Do you use the virtual surround headphone mode?
Also, any tips on finding the entrance at the fire place? I can't find it. I have read the guide.

2018-11-17 18:12:45 (edited by seb 2018-11-17 18:15:48)

This is what I'm using:

Dynamic range: Large
Speaker type: Headphones
Virtual surround: on

After the tape, simply turn around by moving the left stick down and pressing b. Turn right at a 30 degree angle by moving the right stick right once, then crouch. The lever is on the north-east corner, so when you're on the top right corner keep pressing the action button by moving slightly left. I believe the reason why you can't pull it is because you're not crouching. If you're talking about the same entrance but during the video tape, Pete will open it himself. just make sure you're crouching and move towards the direction you hear the trap door open and you're good to go, you can't go through unless you're crouching.