2018-11-08 08:17:10

Hi. Does anyone know what happened to riality soft? I just lastly noticed that they requested their games out of the agarchive, also the agnet links are broken (which really don't surprise me because it was db), and the website link also seams to be down. And one game which was called deathmatch new beginning or so was never in the archive. Can someone please give me an archive of all reality soft games? Thanks and greatings, Simter

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2018-11-08 14:55:41

I will say that in general, we don't host exclusively online games, simply because we would inevitably end up with games that are rendered unplayable should the server go offline. That being said, we were indeed requested to take Reality Software down. I personally wasn't so sure about that move myself, not just because games lost to time, but because this was done in a move to reduce questions about bug reports and where's reality software and when will you do this and that? Sure enough, it only backfires and then more threads have to be tended to. Personally I would've done it like Damien did, letting the installations make it perfectly clear that you're on your own when you install these and disclaim any responsibility for support. That way if you wanted to not respond to messages, you safely could as you have a disclaimer in the installer.

2018-11-08 20:22:42

Wow that's really quite pathetic that they asked for their games to be taken off the archive.
Good thing they were unfinished/mostly crap at least...

2018-11-08 20:26:02

@3, -------------------

2018-11-08 20:27:02

hell yeahr, and i didn't said anything on online games lol, were they some?

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2018-11-08 20:54:54

I don't see anything wrong with the singleplayer Deathmatch game.

2018-11-09 00:35:27

Well i understand why he wanted his games taken down. Believe me, I do. He has the right idea as to the fact that people are probably gonna report bugs if they're still up. However, I know this community all too well and know that with the way he went, more questions and forum threads are going to come up. Hell, I was one of those people years ago (when's this and that coming out? Why isn't it available? What happened to...) all this repetitive posting that doesn't help anyone really. So I would've thought he would be better off just putting installers up with disclaimers during installation.

2018-11-09 10:10:05

I've seen one post in months, I think he'll be okay, that's a pretty bad excuse especially if their is a big old, abandoned! at the top of the game page.

2018-11-09 18:17:28

:7: You're getting closer, but I'm not going to go into details. I expected those games to get pulled from the archive. I get why. I absolutely understand. And I agree with why. No. I'm not going to launch into details because it's not my place to explain. In fact. I doubt anyone will ever know on here. As an EXTREMLY broad overview, the community being the community happened. People burn out on games, grow tired of things, and move on with their lives. WOuld you all be asking the same if Sam went and got married next week and moved to Canada, and left the forum due to that? I'm not saying that's what happened, I'm using that as an example. People change. The RS you guys knew is dead. The DM games are not coming back. Get over it. I'm tired of certain forum members, and I *wil* state this publically, messaging me asking me to get hold of a certain somebody and get them back on here. My answer. No. Because that's not right. I have a two word reply to those people who have been PMing me. It starts with F and and ends with ff. You can figure out the rest. The whining and crying and demanding and frankly pathetic behavior makes me just understand and agree more why some people leave the community for good. Point is. THe DM games are gone. They ain't coming back. Find other games to play.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-11-09 18:22:13

@8: Devs can abandon games for any reason. Again. I won't get into the hows and whys. But think on this. There were a lot of things going on. I mean a hell of a lot of things. When v3 went down, note the flame war that ensued. Note how fast people ewent from WE LOVE THIS GAME to FUCK REALITY SOFWARE THEY ARE TRASH DANNY IS GAY mentality, notice how fast that happened once their favorite toy got taken away. Consider, also, I've stated people have messaged me insisting I go out of my way to contact somebody who left the damn community, to drag them back here, to work on something that will just get the communityy being a demanding, whining, greedy mess.

Also on Linux natively

2018-11-09 19:00:23

One more: @Jack. PMOne more

Also on Linux natively

2018-11-09 19:02:22

Still, he could have at least explained he was leaving and actually done it maturely, that’s pretty dam childish in my apinnion. And yeah, i get what you’re saying about intitlement, i’ve already seen quite a lot of it myself and i’m not gunna start demanding he return or any of that, i don’t even know him so why the fuck should i care anyways, i think the least we deserve is an explanation on why he left, and if it’s all personall crap then that’s cool, just tell people it was personal crap and leave it at that. Just as long as it’s something ravver than just a huge questionmark.

2018-11-09 19:07:25

Yes, however....consider the community was being entitled for a long, long time. Consider, as said people have been PMing me demanding me to do things. Demanding on my Skype, so I made a new one..yeh.

You're right that you dunno him. THis is not a critique. He was just a game dev to everyone There's an excellent mainstream game I encourage you all to watch a playthrough of, or at least listen to the last half. The Beginner's Guide. In this an overoverenthusiastic friend tries too hard to help a developer. Substitue friend for community and you're getting there.

Yeah, it'd be nice for an explaining of personal issues, wouldn't it.It'd be nice to hear how entitled the community was from the horse's mouth wouldn't it? No. It wouldn't. None of us are owed anything....at all. None. Of. Us.

Also on Linux natively

2018-11-09 19:11:31

Also, he did explain at least  once he was leaving before. The community went into a meltdown and screaming and kicking and pleading and demanding happened. So I get why he just vanished. He didn't want to deal with that again. People were at that time being utterly, completely, totally pathetic with their demands and attitudes when he announced he was leaving, before

Also on Linux natively

2018-11-09 19:16:58

@jasek is it fuck, fuck fuck fuck? or do i need to send a pm to find out

2018-11-09 19:24:04

@15: You're right, right right right!
To expand on my point of, oh, Danny should do X Y Z, that's the problem. People are assuming things when they don't know the full story. I don't claim to know the full story. I know bits. But people saying oh, X Y Z should have happened do not help. THey are part of the problem. I mean. Those of you who have ben here long enough. Go read his old FF topic, Frontier...something. Read the whining and crying and complaining when Danny said he wasn't doing anything with it. Robo mentioned entitlement. That was on display.

Then. GO read the whole DM v3 topic. It's closed. It's beried deep in the new releasses as it got into a huge huge flame war post-shutdown with everyone degrading to pathetic behavior. Seriously. Go read it and think about how it might have taken a toll on a dev  to go through that. Twice.

Also on Linux natively

2018-11-09 19:35:47

I'd like to also note here that a developer can leave a community, whether they have a reason for doing so is entirely immaterial and irrelevant. A developer does not, and I repeat does not, owe this community a peace of flint off their clothing. You are not entitled to play games. You are given them. I don't care what disability you have or how old you are, that is entirely irrelevant. The only thing you are truly entitled to are a shelter, food and water. And an education, and everything else that the government "entitles" you to. Do remember though that entitlements are given and can just as easily be taken away.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-11-09 19:47:20

On that note...been doing a bit of digging.

Ethin stated, paraphrasing, this community ran the dev of (Danny's engine) out the door.. Another paraphrase, Danny: I'm done with my game
Community: NOOOO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE GAME PLEASE WORK ON GAME BEST GAME EVER!!!!

No offense, but that sentiment is bulllshit. Again, as Ethin said, devs release games for you to play. Devs do not owe you a game to play. Aprone could make Swamp Mac only tomorrow, and he'd be fully justified to do that. Sam could never release another Redspot version, and he'd be fully justified in doing so.

Thing is....I can look through each topic and see a pattern. THe community treating devs like gods and hero worshipping them to no end. I forgot who sent it me on either Skype or FB, but it's been said a dev can't fart without people worshipping and praising their fart for how good it is.

Also on Linux natively

2018-11-09 22:11:53 (edited by Dakonna 2018-11-09 22:14:22)

ok, since I've pretty much followed the dm games from their side scroller beginnings to their big freaze, I will try to state my (as far as I know educated) opinions here. I don't know the full story on any of this, because most of it happened years ago and what looks to be between danny and a bunch of close friends, a circle that I wasn't part of, but I will do my best none the less.
When the death match side scroller first came out, it had a lot of potential, and there was rapid development going on. It went through several re-releases, sometimes being a top down game, and other times a side scroller, till it settled on project alpha, which in itself isn't a bad game at all. At least, it can be completed, and from what I remember the story actually has an ending. That's all right and good, but then dmnb comes along. Now that game was released in exactly the time when a few more entitled and winy forum members joined (aprox. christmas 2014, *no names given*) and of course, they played it. Back then, I was a member of the reality gaming testing folder which was also used as a defacto storage folder for admin logs. This is why even though I wasn't an admin, I got wind of a lot of the bannings and things that went on. And after dmnb was released danny of course got a lot of feature suggestions, and coded many of them. This however ment that he was left with a project that wasn't what he had envisioned it to be. Also there were large server problems at the time, the thing kept crashing and lagging all over the place despite his best efforts to fix it. Ultimately, I think he simply caved, and abandoned the project. But it was revived later as a side scroling game which never got anywhere, and still later he began work on a python first person version called "Fortune's frontier". Now it's time for me to fess up, because I'm not an objective observer klad in inoscence. I wish it was that way but the past can't be undone. When ff was first announced, naturally people were really hyped about it. Danny further compounded this by giving frequent status updates and publishing recordings of the game's various modes as they were implemented and tested. This lead to a group of people (which unfortunately includes me) going to great lengths to try and enter the reality software beta, or at least get the testing version for ff. Stupid thing to do of course, since it's an online game. And to this day I believe us trying to gain access and frequent requests from other forum members to participate in beta (to play the game early) caused ff to be thrown away as well. Finally, danny tried again later that year with another dm2. That one actually did get released, but not in the way it should have been. For weeks and weeks all the way till the game was released, certain individuals on danny's dm topic were spamming it over, and over, and over again with messages that pretty much all said some idderation of "Please danny release game fast now bekaus i wand play best game death match release now mister danny please please please". And eventually, he did. But releasing the game in its current state was a lot like throwing a bone at a hungry dog, hoping it would give you enough time to get away. That's not the best analogy I've ever given but hey, I try. When people played this concept that was bearly in an alpha stage, naturally they thought it was unpolished and buggy, even knowing the release was likely rushed do to these already mentioned greevers spamming danny's topic. It didn't take much more for him to cave yet again, but this time for good. And I do believe, it was best that way. Dm had been dragged through the mud in so many different ways for the last four years or so, it was more like a mursy kill than  anything. The only thing that pisses me off about danny's way of doing things till today was that he never gave a final statement. He just took the dm servers offline, left all skype groups I know he was part of, and never appeared on the forums again. The dm fiasko is a big reason why coding for this comunity was never a big goal of mine. If I have to put up with 12479124798132 posts a day chanting a chorus of "release! release! release! release!" for weeks and weeks on end, I'd probably just close my browser and say "fuck it".

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-11-09 22:31:18

At the same time Connor, like I said think about it. If Danny had put out a leaving statement everyone would have been spamming him not to leave and that they wanted DM. Certain people have, as said, been PMing me to try to get a hold of Danny...which isn't gonna happen. Also you forgot TheGreatCarver trying to steal the DMv3 source code to 'save' it. WHich further pissed Danny and company off, Carver wanted to take Danny's hard work and code, and say Carver saved the game, Carver did this, that. Things got to a head when he got called out on it, and went off on me on Skype acusing me of being on drugs (lolwut?) and a child (what?).hhead

Also on Linux natively

2018-11-10 00:58:11

@JaceK Check your pm's.

2018-11-10 02:20:57

I would have done the same thing if I were in his position, left and not said goodbye that is.

People don't have to give a reason for anything.

If I want to leave this place, I don't need to explain why, I would just log off and not look back.

2018-11-10 10:13:00 (edited by defender 2018-11-10 10:15:33)

I don't care at all that he left, I care that he demanded removal of a piece of ag history for selfish reasons, denying others the chance to play his games just because he doesn't want to deal with them any more. It's easy enough for his X working partners to ignore occasional PM's, and he doesn't associate with the reality software name any more anyway, nor does he even have a large presence as it is.
The site isn't up any more, the threads are mostly dead, the servers are offline, who the hell does it hurt if someone wants to experience snowrace, the only snowboarding game we have, even unfinished as it is?
He's lucky that the guy running agarchive is so willing to work with butt hurt devs that want to try and sweep the past under the rug and pretend it never happened, he almost certainly doesn't have a legal leg to stand on anyway since I'm pretty sure that reality software was never a registered company, and actually defensible copyright goes beyond just claiming it in text at least from what I've heard.

2018-11-10 13:00:20

BUt, he has every right to request. NOt demand, REQUEST his work be removed. Key word. *HIS* work. Not the community's work

You might think it selfish, but, reread Connor's post and put yourself in Danny's situation, having people consistently pressuring you, constantly demanding things, every single day you see a new reply and it's OMG RELEASE GAME NOW or WHEN IS UPDATE COMING? type posts, or wanting to get away from it and having people PM, email, or hit you up on Skype.

Also on Linux natively

2018-11-10 14:07:37

If he was thinking/not being lazy, he'd just change his Skype/email and let the people who he wants to talk to know, and stop responding to replies on the forum, instead of taking this step.
And yeah, it was his work, but why would you just take something away like that after the fact? I just don't understand.
But I guess I see what you mean and I'm not in his situation so I don't know how bad it is. Still... I think he could have handled it better and if he was being smarter/more mature about it, he'd not have a need to take them off anyway.
Now because of a few assholes and his unwillingness to deal with it properly, the entire community, good and bad misses out.