2018-11-09 02:39:10

Hello everyone.

I need to preface this thread with a few points you folks ought to keep in mind before continuing:
1. I'm posting this here, and it should stand for now and for a good long time yet as the place you can go, as a community, to talk about people you'd like to see added to the staff team.
2. I am doing this on my own initiative as of the posting of this thread. I figure there is no harm in talking about this now.
3. That being said, please understand that there is absolutely no timetable for anything related to adding new members to the team. Just because I'm posting it now doesn't mean we're going to have several new members within the week, or the month for that matter.
4. Anything that happens is going to be deliberated by the current staff team. It will not be any one person's decision.

In other words, please be understanding and please be patient.

I've decided to begin this discussion because there is frankly one active administrator and two active mods at the present time (including myself), and while there doesn't need to be an army of us, these numbers are quite low. What with all the upheaval lately, I believe it may be time to at the very least open up this discussion.

So who would you like to see on the mod team?

Here are the guidelines for a good staff member:
1. Competent communication skills (the stronger the better)
2. Ability to work well within a team
3. respect for the rules and an understanding of how and why they operate as they do
4. patience
5. self-awareness, and awareness of personal biases
6. Awareness of personal weaknesses and a willingness to work on them
7. an open mind and a flexible perspective
8. The ability to devote a reasonable amount of time each week to the governing of the forum
9. a clean or relatively clean history (this means that if you've had a lot of bans or are getting warned every few weeks or so, you probably aren't a good fit, unless you tick all the other boxes and can provide some good reasons as to why your behaviour should be ignored or tolerated)
10. An honest desire to help the community grow and rebuild; this is a tumultuous time, and it's not going to be easy

Feel free to talk yourself up here. Prior to now, staff positions have been provided, in almost all cases, on an invite-only basis. This may still carry forward, but we want to know which of you are interested, and which of you the community might like to see.

A few guidelines:
1. Please don't nominate obviously unsuitable people
2. You don't have to be an absolute pro at all ten points above, but try to bring as many strengths to the table as possible
3. Just because a pile of people talk a person up, that doesn't mean that person has a guarantee at being on the staff team; I can't stress this enough
4. Please try to stay on topic; like the rules thread, I'd prefer we talk about this topic in particular, and not wander too far afield
5. Yet again, I have to stress that my posting of this thread is not an endorsement of this project's immediacy; it might be left to simmer for quite a long while until such time that we are prepared to seriously pursue this matter; as such, your patience is appreciated

Now have on! Hopefully this topic hangs around awhile and generates some strong interest.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-11-09 02:49:11

I guess I will officially throw my hat in to the ring.
I think everyone knows me by now. Or... Something.
I've actually been on this forum one single day less than Jayde has. So I'm an old timer.
I care about seeing this forum get back on it's feet. Do forums have feet?
I can make time easily enough to make sure stuff gets done. I have held several moderator and managerial positions in the past. I work well in teams so long as everyone has an open mind and can work together.
As a mod I would check personal biases at the door. It is true there are people I don't particularly care for, but I'm not going to play favorites. Probably to many people's dismay. I believe in treating everyone the same whether you're a friend or not. Country before party and all that.
I like to think I can be helpful. Over the last few days I've tried to defuse conflict as much as possible so we could have productive discussions without the unnecessary mud slinging.

Not really sure what else to say. If chosen, I'd be honored to serve. I think with a solid team of mods we could get this forum rockin and rollin again.

Liam

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2018-11-09 03:01:36

I'll also put my hat into the metaphorical ring. Then again, whatever happens, happens. If I eventually get picked, okay. If not, not the end of the world.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-11-09 03:18:28

Okay,here's my longer post.

Ive been a mod on other forums before, so I've had experience with my mod hat on. I've fairly and calmly questioned Jade and engaged in a reasonable, civil and (I feel) constructive dialog 1 on 1 with Jade. I've always admired Aprone's desire to get the facts before moderating, or, be a patient mod and not be too hasty with punishments.

Let's go through the points, in oder:

1. Communication. I speak good....well, type good English. Yes, I make typos, but that's down to a mix of typing too fast and a keyboard on the way out.
2.Been in mod teams before at the bottom of the pile, been atop the mod tam on a few sites. So I've shown I can fit wherever and integrate nicely. That is, however depending on the team, but that is the same for being on any team

3.  Once the rules are finalized, I get why they are how they are. However that will not stop me suggesting improvements or revisions behind the scenes, as a mod you have to make a forum the b best it cacn be, and if that involves consulting on rules, or possible changes then so be it

4. It's moood dependnt but at the same time that is true for any mod. however, I can be patient and understanding. Let's say an argument is in a topic and it is dying down. I will patintly wait to seee where it goes before running in to act.

5. I'll fully admit to being friends with users on the forum. However, as I've been a mod before on ohether sites, I can 'compartmentalize' this and not let it afect me. I'd step in and caution Liam, for example, even if I got along well with him, because that is the job at hand.

6. My main weakness is probably a short tolerance for stupid people. And yes. I'm working hard on that. urtunately....that only applies to stupid people in RL.Sadly you can't sip over a stupid person.

7. I believe in my conversations with Jade I've deonstrated an open mind and willingness to be flexible in discussions. Not every tiny infraction or example needs mod action, just as not every speeding car gts pulled over by a cop.

8. Can you define a 'reasonable' amount of time, first off?

9. 99.9 sure I've never ever beeen banned.

10. Yes. I wat to help the community. I believe the community needs to figure out what it wants, and that includes everyone. Users. Mods. admins all coming together

Also on Linux natively

2018-11-09 03:34:15

Sorry to throw this off-topic so early on, but @JaceK, you really do need a new keyboard. Or should that be, Yoyu raelly ned aa neww jeyboaard. LOL!

2018-11-09 03:48:10

No. No. I need to type slower. That's all. Still think Liam would make a good candidate as he's level headed also, and able to raise good, constructive points without coming off as argumentative. Se, I typed slower. No typos tongue Problem.....maybe, solved?

Also on Linux natively

2018-11-09 04:30:57

I would vote for Liam. Because this community knew him well, and he's suitable enough to be a mod.

2018-11-09 04:31:33

Honestly the level headedness isn't tough. if I see something that frustrates me. I stop and take about 30 seconds to deep breathe and think it over before I even begin to compose any sort of reply. In every post I write, I always ask myself. What will the end result be when this is posted? What will people take away from it? Will it help or hurt?

2018-11-09 04:44:20 (edited by Jaseoffire 2018-11-09 04:45:44)

Hmm. This is indeed strange, but I do understand. I'll try to keep this short (While I've been here in an on paper capacity for about a year and a half, now, I've been watching the forum a while longer. I'm no old timer by any stretch, but I have read and enjoyed reading this forum for a long time.) This place has been the most polite forum I've been on, and I have enjoyed this community. This is a rather nice place, and I have gotten so much from this forum, so if I can give back, I would love to. I'm not entirely sure what to say, though. I suppose that is a bit of a weakness of mine. I try to have a strong stance on things when needed, but I usually am likely to change my stance in the interests of the community and with good evidence supporting such an action. While I do have my biases, I try to see things from all sides and like trying to find a compromise that will benefit everyone (or at least as many people as possible.) As for time, I do have this place open whenever I'm at my computer. This semester has been packed, but I should have a little more time after  this semester ends. Anyways, if you need me, I'll be more than happy to help in anyway I can.
(edit) Yeah, I think I will also cast my support for Liam.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2018-11-09 04:59:38

Liam, you definitely get my vote. I also have another vote for a potential mod, however I am typing on my IPhone keyboard in a car with other people so it will have to wait.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-11-09 05:21:02

I mentioned this somewhere else, and I don't know if they're up for it, but I think promoting news posters like cae_jones and slj to moderators would make sense. I'm assuming they must already have your trust to an extent and sort of already be insiders,. Does anyone think we could somehow convince aprone to come back? I mean everyone else left because they didn't want to do this anymore, and I doubt dark would want to come back after all of this, but aprone didn't actually leave because he didn't want to moderate anymore, or at least I don't remember him saying so.

2018-11-09 05:26:53

like others have said, I think Liam would make a good moderator. He has helped out over the last few days, and he seems to be a fair and reasonable person.

2018-11-09 05:35:08

As a nomination...If he would be up for coming back...And since we need administrators, would it be possible to put Nocturnus in that role? Again, if he would be up to it.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2018-11-09 07:58:00

I will put my hat in the ring, hopefully in a place where it doesn't overlap Liam's hat, and say that I would do my very best to moderate the forum. My answers to the following criteria:

1. I have communicated effectively in the past with people who barely know english as well as those well-versed in the language so this should not be a problem. Effective communication should be succint and to the point, and that is something I am very good at ensuring. I carefully consider what I am writing before posting when writing on these forums.
2. I have lead and been a member of multiple teams and am competent at handling them. I currently work on an AP Computer Science A teaching team with 4 others, and I administrate a popular mud soundpack.
3. I understand the meaning and intent behind the rules
4. This is easier to do when a stressful situation is not staring you in the face in the real world, and I have enough self-awareness to know when emotions are getting too high so I can take a break. This may mean that the community will have to be patient as well, but it is for the best and I am very conscious about time and deadlines, so things will get done in a timely manner.
5. I have it
6. I am always willing to listen to feedback people have about my personal weaknesses
7. Answered in 5 and 6
8. I am currently in a very rigorous set of college courses, but that should be ending next month.
9. My record is totally clean since 2010, a solid 8 and a half years
10. Yes, I want this

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2018-11-09 08:09:19

i vote for Liam

2018-11-09 09:09:38 (edited by braille0109 2018-11-09 09:16:08)

all right, a few things.
1) so far, from all the people who have handed in their name into the hat, I would like to vote for Liam.
2) someone mentioned, and asked, why currently existing staff not get admin rank. that, I would also be curiouss about.  I personally think that's a neat idea, one that would make sense to do.
3) since I'll fail anyway, and since no one would want me, plus there are people above me, just because I can, I'll throw myself into the hat. here are my answers.
1. Competent communication skills (the stronger the better) While English isn't technically my native language, I feel as if though I'm relatively good at communication.

2. Ability to work well within a team. As long as that team actually has communication, and I'm able to reach one and another if and when in need, I can work in a team, and give back what I get.

3. respect for the rules and an understanding of how and why they operate as they do. I don't really think I can answer that, I have to respect the rules whether an admin or member.

4. patience. I'm pretty tolerant most of the times, even when Arguing with Jayde, I never once in my life, cursed anyone out because of arguing, and I always stay calm. which is pretty funny, since the calmer I remain, the more people get pissed off just by that little fact alone, so yes, I definitely have that one.

5. self-awareness, and awareness of personal biases. I honestly don't think I have that. around 90% of regular contributers don't know me outside of the forum. there's like 10 people if that who know me outside, so it's not like I'd ever have to go for personal feelings, and even if I did, since my main point of having a rank is to insure that I'm as fair as humanly possible.
6. Awareness of personal weaknesses and a willingness to work on them. I do know that I have a fair of these. the biggest, and most noticeable one, which then lead on to a few other issues, are my trust issues. they can be real bad. I have also been told that I'm rather emotional, but not too sure what to make of it. I mean, there must be some truth to it, multiples of people at multiple points of my life have said that. with that said, I don't have any mental or anger issues, or anything of the sort, that could prevent me from performing my duties.

7. an open mind and a flexible perspective. This is another that has to go both ways.

8. The ability to devote a reasonable amount of time each week to the governing of the forum. I usually have enough time if need be, though that really depends when and where. I have  college on 3 days a week, and I'm in UK standard time, so at certain times, I literally can't be around.

9. a clean or relatively clean history (this means that if you've had a lot of bans or are getting warned every few weeks or so, you probably aren't a good fit, unless you tick all the other boxes and can provide some good reasons as to why your behaviour should be ignored or tolerated) I never had any official warnings, only unofficial hints..

10. An honest desire to help the community grow and rebuild; this is a tumultuous time, and it's not going to be easy
I personally believe in honesty, more or less at all times. since I've always wanted to give something back to the community, I would be willing to try, and see if we, as a new team, can build back the forum trust.
PS. this should not be taken or understood in the way that I'm looking for a rank. if anyone thinks I'm suitable, then they can PM me. I don't expect any votes, anyway. but I do believe that I am a fair and easy going person over all. but who knows, maybe people like my way of approaching things. well let's see.

2018-11-09 09:20:34

THis isn't really like, a voting system per se.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2018-11-09 09:30:35

i go with keyIsFull because ya know
he is already been a news poster if  remember that right, and he is a long standing member of this forum.
i think they should consider those guys first
but if that doesnt happens i also vote for liam

2018-11-09 09:41:57

Wow I just looked and I registered in 2005. Has it been that long? How time flys. Yeesh.

2018-11-09 10:44:44 (edited by defender 2018-11-09 10:59:25)

Liam has a sense of humor that can come off as extremely harsh and has a difficult time controlling him self when it comes to posting snide comments.
That said, I think he could be a fine mod if he keeps that in mind, and isn't extra harsh on pirates just because he hates them.
So my vote goes for Liam, but also Jaseoffire, because his comments are always well thought out with both sides represented and he stays cool as a cucumber from what I've seen, and, though he hasn't posted yet and he's kinda flaky... Cae Jones as well.
Along the same lines as Liam would be cartertemm, he's grown up allot over the last couple years, and he's usually got something useful to say, a well thought out counterpoint even if it's proceeded by sarcasm or a joke, similar to Aprone. He also frequents the dev room and would be a useful mod their as he's knowledgeable about the subject and has been on both sides of cloning/code theft in the past.
Joseph Westhouse also gets my full vote, as his charisma is well proven, even though he hasn't offered yet, though he hasn't posted in a bit and he may still be too stressed.
People that aren't on much but I still think might make decent mods would be cinnamon and Nick Adamson.
I still hope that Aprone will eventually reconsider after a break (if he does I hope he tones down the condescension a bit if he does)
That goes for Nocternus as well, even if he hadn't been moderating much lately.

2018-11-09 10:57:57

My vote goes for Liam of course, though I hope he gets appointed after he releases Brain Station which I've been dying to put my hands on (a mod developper may slow down developing-wise to be a good moderator).
But then again I see that Liam is the perfect fit for this position.

2018-11-09 12:18:48

I agree with 20. I have to keep the sarcasm turned to low. Also I will follow what ever the forum's rules end up being on piracy. IE if there's a three strikes rule I will not be going rogue and dropping the ban hammer.

2018-11-09 12:42:40

post 17. I'm curious how you see this as. I see this as a way to get community feedback on who they potentially want, and your way of handling the set out questions. But you mentioning that this is not a voting system got me somewhat curious on your way of taking it as.

2018-11-09 12:54:08

Thanks for the reassurance Liam, I'm glad you recognize it too and don't take it personally. :-)

2018-11-09 13:24:42

sup guys.
told ya i'd keep up! lol!
and yeah, i'd definately vote for liam! he'd make a great mod that's for sure.
i've participated in his livestreems, and noticed that the qualities he possesses are perfectly fine for a mod in this forom. he keeps things light, hell i've even seen people saying very stupid things on his streem and liam handelling it calmly, while it'd make a normal person rage like no tomorrow tongue.
anyway, i hope liam gets to be a mod! a perfect group of representatives is what we need to lift our community out of this termoil, and i think its safe to say that liam is one of them
cheers

Abay chal.