2018-11-08 20:19:26

Below are the questions I wanted to ask regarding music composing with computer......

First: do I need a MIDI keyboard?

I wanted to know, whether I can do without one, or is it like “You have to have a MIDI keyboard for composing on a computer, otherwise you can’t do It.” kind of situation.

Second: how much practical knowledge of music is needed?
This should be quite easy. I want to know whether I should learn a physical instrument or not.

Not that I am against it or anything, but I did used to learn piano about ten years ago, but the teacher moved away, and since then I have never found a teacher who will be willing to teach me.

Third: what kinds of programs or softwares are available for this task?

Both free ones and payed ones.

Fourth: is there a way to combined composing with programming?

This might be strange, but I am currently learning programming, so I was thinking whether there was a way in which I can program the music.

Bear in mind guys, that I am asking these questions not because I want to make a career out of this. (For that, programming is already available,) but more as a tinkering kind of thing, because it interests me.

I will wait for your answers.

2018-11-08 21:49:39

Midi keyboard isn't a must have, But if you get one, things will be 5x easier. As for the software, You can use reaper. If you don't want a midi keyboard then no need to know a phisical instrument. But if you do, You should no keyboard or piano playing. You must have the music knowledge though since you are going to compose a music not a random key press in a vst. And yeah you can write notes with qws which is another accessible software. Although from what I know.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-11-08 23:03:30

to not repeat myself I advise you check out this thread

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-11-09 00:36:04

I find it easier to enter manually than to play and record, probably because I have such terrible rhythm that, after practicing enough to get a usable take, it's taken longer than it would have to just write it. It's also possible that NoteWorthy Composer is faster than more accessible editors, and I somehow taught myself to use NWC but can't seem to teach anyone else. sad
I don't know how it works with Reaper. I should look into it, since VSTs apparently enable much higher quality instruments than soundfonts, somehow.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-11-09 02:49:52

@kianoosh:

I think you were interupted before you can complete your reply.

@UltraLeetJ:

I wasn't aware that there was almost similar topic, sorry about that. but your explaination did helped me understanding why if I continued on, I may need a more powerful computer, or at least a system with more ram.
as for practical music, I see what I can do. though I think I have to learn to about notes, rather than a instrument.

2018-11-11 18:14:21

So, I wanted to ask, did anyone has used Musescore? if yes, mind telling me how did it worked, and can it prove useful for my purpose?

also, I tried QWS, but it appears to be mainly made for MIDI devices.

2018-11-12 03:47:12

museScore does have some accessibility
editing is not as easy though and I am really used to work in lilypond. But for the record, I have edited and corrected a few arrangements by my friends and the like adding notes, deleting notes and so on. So you can get at least somewhere with it.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-11-12 11:30:03

doesn't Reaper provide same functions?

2018-11-13 05:10:35

reaper is a software for editing audio and midi, and much more, though it does have a musical editor somewhere, but its still somewhat hit or miss regarding its musical notation editor, plus that notation editor is totally inaccessible. I have however linked to a post that talks about reaper fully for audio and such.