2018-11-07 00:16:01

As reported by [motherboard]:

Moths are generally nocturnal creatures. Unfortunately so are Bats, which bounce sound off their prey to locate and hunt them. As it turns out however, certain species of moth, like the deaf Madagascan Bullseye moth, have adapted by developing fur on their thoraxes, a chest-like space between the neck and abdomen. This has the effect of absorbing and muffling the sound that predators try to find them with by up to 85%. For comparison, Bufferflies can only absorb a maximum of 20%.

There are other way's that moth's have adapted in this acoustic war however, such as the [Greater Wax Moth]. This species has evolved hearing so sensitive that its smashed all known ultrasound hearing records, being able to sense higher pitches more than any other known species. Its so sensitive that they can easily hear the calls bats may try to use to locate them, allowing them to always staying one step ahead.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-11-07 05:33:43

Amazing stuff.

2018-11-07 06:29:39

I love this.

2018-11-07 07:33:56 (edited by grryfindore 2018-11-07 07:35:42)

Hi,
man, that is some interesting stuff right there. I have always been interested in animals and would watch the discovery channel and the animal planet, when I was a kid more than cartoons.
well, no, as much as cartoons... back then, both things were great, now not so much. cartoons and the discovery and animal planet channels I mean. lol.
Really fasinating how these animals interact and adapt over years to their enemies prey and the environment.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, β€˜It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2018-11-07 07:50:18

This is fascinating, because I love animals, but I especially love the thread title.

2018-11-07 15:54:53

When are they going to make us blindies a pair of shades with sensors and bone conduction speakers that deliver bat-like chirps we can use to navigate. I have a thing that's like a handheld parking sensor, but shades would be better. If a tiny fraction of military spending were devoted to this, we'd be able to go for a jog by now, lol.

2018-11-08 01:32:28 (edited by magurp244 2018-11-08 01:40:41)

@flackers
That may happen a lot sooner, and perhaps a bit later than you might think. There was a fellow on the raspberry pi forums who had been working on a navigation harness people could wear and use with special sunglasses with cameras affix on the bridge of the nose. It featured sonified navigation from Peter Meijers The vOICe, who also helped with development, object recognition, facial detection, and object range finding. They were powering it with a Raspberry Pi micro computer and were designing it to be 100$ or less, and you can check out their development thread [here] on the raspi forums.

The Sonification I beleive uses the standard image to sound rendering The vOICe is known for, but the better way to navigate environments would be with a [Depth Map], but to get this in the physical work you need two cameras to create a stereoscopic reference. Getting depth cameras so far can be a bit tricky as it hasn't quite broken into the maker market yet, well unless you count Microsofts Kinect. A few newer iPhones have a pair built in, but most sunglass mounted cameras aren't stereoscopic, though they may have some ideas on that in their development thread.

Now, unfortunately, the project was suspended this year, some of it I think was due to other life circumstances for the main developer. They did however release the specs, equipment lists, and firmware for anyone who still wants to build their own [here], and members of the community who were working on it can still be reached on their raspi development thread. I think there are still some people working on it in their spare time, and the main developer may get back to it in the future.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer