2018-10-12 13:50:39

Those are fun to play with. I knew a guy who had a computer science degree and came back from the US with an AOL CD and screamed at Freeserve (yeah you can tell how old this story is when Freeserve is mentioned....), he insisted AOL was better and he was going to install it. So he was bored waiting for the installer to finish and had a PSU with a voltage switch on the back of the case of a high end academic machine. He started flipping the switch to pass the time. I got the hell outta there since I knew what it'd do. Took a few steps outside the dor, boom. Swiftly followed by various components giving up on being components.components..

Also, www.rinkworks.com/stupid has some awesome stories, but....that one about hitting all the computers in the lab was hilariously awesome.

I managed to somehow, amusingly, kill an entire supermarket by simply scanning an item. Sainsburys in the UK had, for a time, hand held barcode scanners. You'd go scan your item, it'd add it to the memory. You'd connect it tot he checkout or hand it to the cashier. So, was scanning items when I didn't ear the little beep that confirmed something'd been scanned. THinking it was an error I tried again. Little did I know I'd broken the entire supermarket system. I'd scanned something that'd been mislabeled in the system and it'd apparently gone and broken the table. they were stored in. Now, the store this was in hadhad some stuffed toy Aussie drop bears. Bear in mind...this was SQL databases. So by the time I'd found the drop bears they'd fixed the broken table. However...scanned the drop bear in. Boom. Everything just fel completely over. Turns out I'd told the database to drop everything past the drop bears...and since it was in the D range....well......everything but the air conditioning in the store gave out. Dors were locked, no power, no electronic stuf, no intercom....it made for a rather hilariously awesome moment. Apparently even big supermarket chains aren't immune to database screwups after all....

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-10-12 13:58:43

@JaseK I just sent you a pm. figured you may be in the UK. lol. dunno why, just the rest of the world doesn't do crazy shit like blowing up computer labs or pretending we have frying pans that shrink in the wash like we do. I'm not sure that's a good thing, but it's an interesting one.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-10-12 14:06:57

Try that with mini CDs if you got any laying around. I was able to convince somebody they are thinner, larger Polo mints. That had all the taste removed. That's still nothing compared to the frying pan though...and no, no, Canada has a monopoly on crazy shit. THey threw Group 1 alkali metals, aka the stuff that blows up if it's in water, into large bodies of water, lakes and rivers....and they fish with dynamite. I somehhow think they got a monopoly on weird stuff.....though I've run across hilariously awesome stuf in Wales. I go to a tea room a lot and know the people that run it. THey use Vista, to bring this back to Vista, and in Wales all signs have to be bilingual by law, Welsh and English. So....to save money and time, a lot of companies/councils justt whack it through Google Translate. So the Welsh for 'tea with milk and sugar' got auto translated to boiled water with cow urine and white powder. That....sounds a lot less drinkable frankly. Though, There's a whole site on those mistranslated Welsh ones. My favorite is the one that states, on a road sign: We are out of the office until Monday, please call us for details. That's supposed to be a place name....

Also on Linux natively

2018-10-12 14:34:20

well did you know the welsh for microwave oven is popti ping?
crazy language but I'd love to learn it.

anyway, languages baffle me. I would love some cunning linguist to explain to me the genders in languages. I studied French at school and if I said mister table instead of misses table or what ever it was I'd get a clip round the ear. they could never explain the rules for that though. why is it le or la. who decides. by what criteria do they make that judgement.

which brings us back to computers. when the computer was invented, how did they decide in countries that use gender specific nowns weather it should be male or female.

was there a big board meeting with people arguing?

"I put it to the honorable members that the computer is obviously male because it is powerful and can take over the world!"

"I argue that it must be female because it can multi task and doesn't scratch it's testicles!"

am I the only person that wonders about things like this?

ok probably. but it's nice to wonder out loud.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-10-12 14:42:53

Wel...funny you ask...

Computers are male since they won't do what you want unless you thrn them on. They are female because they sit there and watch you. THey are male because they demand attention...and female because once something goes wrong they won't shut up about it smile

Seriously though, no idea. THought I'd wheel out my snarky reply for that..and ah yes,Welsh. I did that S4C Welsh in a Week course and all I know how to order is tea and ten eclairs. Or cakes.

Also on Linux natively

2018-10-12 18:23:39

I myself have never used Vista, but back in 2007 or 2008 a friend of mine, who besides teaching fixed computers, told me he really liked Vista. Why? Because it brought the bread on his table. Many people who bought a new computer with Vista preinstalled brought them to him for getting rid of the damn thing and installing xp instead.
It also reminded me quite a funny video. The title says it all! The bsod should be right before people start applauding. Considering what he says before it happened the timing could not be better!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb6kxmD1YZE

2020-05-04 04:17:57

@JaceK Dude, I don't give a shit how old this topic is, your stories are killing me and you are absolutely the shit. Brits are fucking great! lmao

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2020-05-04 06:55:43

UM, UM, UM, UM, UM...
You erally, just revived a topic that not only was revived once before, but would've taken a long time to found

2020-05-04 07:07:35

@33 I found it because I was trying to see what people thought of NVDA in the beginning.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2020-05-04 07:48:50

all I will say is:
trolololololololol!

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2020-05-04 08:20:08

fair, but that's the second time the topic has arisen from it's grave, as well as various other topics, creating a zombie forum, which eventually ate every single one of this forum's posts - ok I'll stop.

2020-05-04 10:14:36

This topic had to be revived. It is the best topic.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-05-04 15:46:55

Any good reason to reviving this instead you could just  make a new topic.

2020-05-04 17:50:56

Just ... relax. I'm sure your inconvenience isn't to huge now that you had to see this topic. smile It's really a great topic. Two years later, I still can not decide whether these stories actually happened or whether they're just wild fantasy. Funny either way.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2020-05-04 17:51:25

Do people ever learn?

If you wish to contact me privately, you can do so in the following ways.
Telegram, Rich_Beardsley. Discord, RichBeardsley. Facebook, Rich W. Beardsley
Twitter, RichBeardsley. Email, [email protected]. Both iMessages and emails are welcome.
Battle tag, Rich#12744. You can also add me through my email address.

2020-05-04 19:11:46

No.  History will continuously repeat itself.  Also, history will continuously repeat itself, also history will continu

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-05-04 20:36:08

What THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL REVIVING TOPICS BACK LIKE THIS?

2020-05-04 23:08:37

This is what crazygamer got in trouble for just over a year ago. I'm sure you guys don't need to be reminded of that?

If you wish to contact me privately, you can do so in the following ways.
Telegram, Rich_Beardsley. Discord, RichBeardsley. Facebook, Rich W. Beardsley
Twitter, RichBeardsley. Email, [email protected]. Both iMessages and emails are welcome.
Battle tag, Rich#12744. You can also add me through my email address.

2020-05-05 02:39:44

Oh no, one old topic brought back to the top by someone else who thought it was a cool topic? just fucking scroll down past it, for christ's sake, why get all up in arms over something that's not even a big deal? It's not like I went back through every topic in there and brought them all back up, but seeing the people rage and contradict themselves and all the shit they wanna talk about other people being snowflakes would be funny, but I actually wanna stay on the forum, and I'm not 12. Like the person above me said, don't contribute redundant crap to a topic and it'll go back to where it was.. Jesus Christ, some people these days....

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2020-05-05 02:53:19 (edited by Dan Gero 2020-05-05 03:20:19)

I agree completely . People get irritated over the stupidest shit. Oh no, someone brought back an old discussion, lord help us all! What next, you guys gonna flip out because someone said their favorite color is green or something. This community goes bat-shit crazy over the smallest things, and it's honestly getting really fucking old.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2020-05-05 03:11:00

@46 Hate to sound like an asshole here but it really just enforces my feelings about how blind people can be just as toxic as sighted people, because it's all about looking for shit to holler on a roof with a megaphone about to make you feel like you're contributing anything. Which makes people like that look like the biggest fucking losers. It's the fucking internet, it's life, really. Maybe some of ya'll are getting bored living off that unemployment money? hmmm..
This is the kind of shit that makes me feel bad for mods, and I mean the regular guys that actually talk with us and aren't just looking for an opportunity to press the big red button, because even if you try to talk sense into these constant 7 day bleeders, it'll just piss other mouthbreathers off.
I'm choosing my words more careful than I normally would on my own servers and such because really shit like this just raises my temper, people complaining just because they can to feel better about themselves and ruining a perfectly good discussion. It's like people subbed to a YouTuber who streams once a day but they get pissy because they get stream notifications and they'd rather just watch the videos.. Like, for fucks sake do you know how many notifications I get that I ignore? Get over yourselves, and if you wanna go, good, it's not like you'll be missed, but I know you're gonna run your mouth while you're out the door and down the block.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2020-05-05 04:05:32

My name is Nocturnus; go nuts about that!  Come on!  I dare you!  Say I discriminiate against all the day people!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-05-05 04:08:53

You prefer your electronic to be black and not have flashy colors? Ugh you're racist, waaaaaaaaa!

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2020-05-05 04:13:02

@48 Oh and speaking of which, day people suck. lol. To damn cheery for me. Sorry I don't say good morning back, but some of us have real problems to deal with, and most of us hate our jobs, and I don't owe you a goddamn thing.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:

2020-05-05 04:21:04

I remember Vista getting  lot of hate when it came out but I liked it.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77