2017-03-31 10:35:48

Hello.
Tell me please, which Python is better to learn and use? 2 or 3?
Are there any libraries for games, sound in Python 3?
Thanks in advance!

2017-03-31 13:49:35

Well it is all your choice.
If you learn python 3, wel... then you can say that you have the latest version of python.
But if you are learning python 2, it is a little better.
Because if you make a game in python 3, you will have to make a driver for other people to play the game in python.
Because python 2 is a little bit more stable than python 3.
And with python 2 you can get a lot more tutorials than python 3.
Because python 2 is a little older than python 3, so more people created tutorials for python 2.
You will also find that python 2 has a little bit more librarys than python 3, altho some of the librays are going to be ported for python i guess.
Hope it helps you.
As i said it is all your choice.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2017-03-31 13:56:27

I personally believe Python 2 right now, as at least in terms of Python 3 and writing audio games, you'd be breaking new ground. Not a bad thing, depends if you're happy to invest the research time required though.

Python 3 overall is better, but adoption has been... rocky. For whatever reason. So you won't get all the good stuff that Python 3 brings. You'll have to find things that fill in that gap if you need them.

2017-03-31 15:30:26

@ashleygrobler04, Python3 is probably far more stable than Python 2 is. The only reason I'd suggest Python2 is because currently there are more libraries available for it. Python3 is the new and revised Python, as they say. I don't get why people won't switch to Python3... but hey, when Python2 is officialy deprecated, it will be their fault. Either way, I'd go for Python3. It has far more features and is far easier to use.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-03-31 15:42:04

Go with whatever you are comfortable with, the language are not that different in terms of sintax. And if you discover that you didn't make the right choise, you can easyly switch.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2017-04-01 00:12:22

Python 3 makes a number of improvements over Python 2, proper Unicode support for example. The problem though was that Python 3 completely broke compatibility with Python 2 in the process, along with all of its 3rd party libraries. This naturally caused a bit of a rift in the community and adoption for Python 3 has been quite slow.

Over the decade since its release though compatibility with Python 3 has considerably improved and is now supported by many libraries, but not all of them. There's also an extensive catalog of tutorials around for Python 2 still available, and Python 2 can usually run Python 3 scripts without much trouble.

You can read up on it further [here] and [here].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-10-09 12:39:01

Yeah yeah, but what, if anything is the good book to learn Py3?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-10-09 12:56:47

There's plenty around, [Dive Into Python 3], [How To Think Like A Computer Scientist], [Think Python 2nd Edition], to name a few.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-10-09 14:20:25 (edited by pauliyobo 2018-10-09 14:24:17)

I'd like to disagree on the fact that python3 is less stable than python 2.
I'd say python 3 is faster and stable. Plus you can manage to make audiogames with python 3 as well, my last prototype has been coded in python e.6.5.
Also as others have been stating, python 3 has unicode support by default which not sure how much will it matter for you. I'd recommend you learn the concepts of python, if you then choose 2 or 3 it won't matter as you'll be able to master both of them.

Paul

2018-10-09 16:01:06

Yeah, right now I'm currently in the process of learning Python3.

2018-10-09 17:38:52

Thanks Magurp244
I found a way to embet python in my favourite PureBasic that's why I asked smile.
Thanks once more!

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2018-10-09 20:42:52

hi,
if you are asking me, python3
1. it is faster
2. it has a lot of features and it is under active development so you can get new features when they are released
3. for compatibility with python 2 if you need any of them, which i don't think so, you can use six
4. new libraries are coded in python 3
5. many of the python 2's libraries work in python 3 without any modifications (but not all of them)
so, i prefer python 3 over python 2.

2018-10-09 23:44:45

Do the q-continuum libs work on Python 3?

2018-10-10 05:22:50

yes they work

2018-10-10 07:52:13

I would never suggest Python 2 again now when unicode decode and encode issues are fixed and improved in Python 3, and if you need to work on apps that will work on various systems and languages, it can be nightmare with Python2 as you will hardly reproduce how your app behaves on different systems in different languages. I remember the days when my app written in Python2 had problems to run normally on russian systems (reported by russian users), and of course it took me some time and frustration to fix this as I don't speak russian language and I had no access to the russian system. So, Python3 forever!
Most libraries now support Python3 as well, including Pygame and Pyglet for gaming and Libaudioverse for 3D audio. Tolk and AccessibleOutput2 are also Python3 compatible. GUI libraries such as WXPython 4 and PyQT5 which is now accessible can both be used with Python3.

2018-10-10 12:15:29

Oh, the QCOntinuum died. Can I somehow get the libs or I am fucked?

2018-10-10 13:26:42

you can find the continuum libraries in carter's repository
Did any of you tried kivy? I was trying messing around with it for trying to se if it was accessible.

Paul

2018-10-10 16:15:52

PyQT5 is accessible?

2018-10-10 16:47:14

the entire qt is not accessible.
if you are asking me again, go with wxPython

2018-10-10 17:26:03

dropbox's client is made with pyqt and as far as I know is accessible.

Paul

2018-10-10 18:23:29

QT is accessible; at least, as accessible as it can be at the moment. Developing anything with wX in Python can be an absolute nightmare.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-10-10 18:40:04

WxPython isn't exactly a beginner friendly lib. That's why if PyQT can be an alternative for that it'd be great.

2018-10-11 07:35:38

PyQT5 is accessible since 5.10 version, and now in 5.11 they even switched to UIA instead of MSAA for accessibility. I've used it and tested it.

2018-10-11 17:32:52

as far as i have seen in qt before 5.10, or even qt4, that's not accessible at all specially in jaws. NVDA's support is better in qt.
i didn't try programming in qt, cause i thaught it won't become accessible.

2018-10-11 19:58:15

Is there any proper python IDE? The downside of that lang is that I cannot just test my code while writing it./