2018-10-07 21:20:33

Hello guys!
How are carried out the votes in their countries, and how is the accessibility for the same?
Here, in Brazil is done through electronic voting machines.
Sorry for my english.

2018-10-07 21:53:25

In Canada, pretty sure it’s the same in the US but don’t quote me on it, you use a paper ballot whether or not you have any vision. When voting, you are given a plastic overlay that goes on top of your paper ballot with braille and large print numbers reproduced on it and lined up with holes inn the plastic through which you can tick the box. If you have some vision, they have large print lists of candidates and their corresponding numbers available at all centres, but if you’re blind you either have to request a braille list through the mail in advance or have the list read out to you on the day of by one of the people running the poling station. If you do have to have the list read out loud, the law requires that all candidates be read out, to avoid a situation where you ask for a specific candidate and are given the wrong number to mess with your vote. Once you’ve ticked the box, the overlay guides you to where you have to detach the unnecessary portion of the ballot, honestly not sure what the deal with that is but anyways, then, you yourself are required to place the ballot in the box.
Yeah, I voted for the first time last week, bet you can tell....

2018-10-08 00:21:08

Here in Florida, they have blind accessible voting machines., which are just a computer with a scanner, OCR software, text to speech, and a printer. The machine reads the question, then gives you the possible answers, you select one then go on to the next question, you can go back to previous questions to review your votes, when you are done and confirmed that you are completed, the machine then prints on your ballot marking your selections. You then feed the completed ballot into the same scanner that sighted voters feed their ballots into.

Voting by mail is available, but no attempt is made to make those ballots accessible so if you want to vote by mail, you have to get help from a sighted person. The big problem with that is that as a blind voter you hafve no way of knowing whether your sighted assistant is marking the votes you want or marking their own choices on your ballot.

Sighted voters use a pen with black ink to mark their ballots which they then feed into a scanner that detects and tallies the vote.

2018-10-08 07:03:13

In Jefferson county, Kentucky, USA, we have talking voting machines. I think they're also usable by low-vision people through a touchscreen. A poll worker puts a card in the machine, and you put on headphones. The machine has a standard touchtone telephone keypad, and all information is read by an actual human, pre-recorded of course. You are prompted to make your choices, and at the end, your voter card is ejected, and a paper ballot is printed for redundancy.

2018-10-08 14:16:37

@Jaybird, that sounds a lot like what they use in Illinois.

2018-10-09 14:30:02

Ohio seems to have something similar. A machine with arrow keys and what not. What's really fun is trying to get absentee voting. There does seem to be a way of doing that, though, so I guess the moral of this story is...Good thing I don't live in Florida? Oh well. I have yet to use the absentee system, so I'll report how that went after I go through the process.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"