2018-10-06 19:18:47

yo guys
Sorry for any spelling errors in this post.
Anyways, how do you turn off that no for good windows defender from microsoft. Do you know how many games it blocks because it thinks there viruses? Please someone help me turn it off forever before i go insane.
This is fireflamedragon sighning off. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

2018-10-06 19:58:44

@1, if your willing to classify windows defender as a peace of garbage just because it blocks games on here, then you'll hate any AV/AM software purely because it will do the same thing. BGT games are viruses, or at least do things that look creditable enough that an antivirus/antimalware program considers it a threat to you. Whether it is a threat is entirely irrelevant. Unless we move away from BGT, this cycle will continue, over and over.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-10-06 20:03:41

Just create a games folder where you put all games and mark it as an exception in Windows Defender.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2018-10-06 20:11:58

It just keeps coming back.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-10-06 20:22:43

Install a different antivirus. Windows Defender will get out of its way. Don't just choose any olt antivirus though. Do research first.

2018-10-06 20:34:15 (edited by GrannyCheeseWheel 2018-10-06 20:35:17)

who likes those though, they all suck, most of them are not accessible, They are also very very invasive.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-10-07 00:58:54

I did what post 3 said. And it works fine. For some reason, and this is a weird behavior from my system, in particular is that it always always keeps on popping up notifications for specific file exceptions I have, but that is it. Those files still are there it just.. annoys me with the notifications every once in a while.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-10-07 06:20:26

hello guys.
if you want to tern off the windows defender due to some reason, so here i am helping for that.
note:
your computer can be attacked by viruses!
so, think perfectly before doing this!
first, go to your start menu by pressing your windows key and then type
cmd
there will be a result named command prompt, go in it by pressing control shift enter.
then type
gpedit.msc
you will be in the local group polisy editer.
then, with the help of down arrow key, go to the adminstrater templits.
the box will be closed, you have to open it by pressing your right arrow key.
then, go to windows components.
open it by your rite arrow key.
then search for windows defender there.
open it with your rite arrow key also.
then, search for the tern off the windows defender and press enter on it.
with the help of tab key, go to the combo box there, and choose enabled.
after that, press ok butten.
congratulations!
you have aloud your windows defender to go to the long sleep!
if you have any problems about that, let me know!

2018-10-07 08:00:07

Funny, I've been impressed at how well windows defender does! listen when you create an exceptions folder, quite a contrast to some other antiviruses who have a nasty habit of forgetting and munching your files anyway even when you told them not to.

Personally, I just created a folder on my C drive called audiogames, and I bung any new games I get in there, and windows defender has been absolutely fine about it.

for people who are having problems, I wonder if there is an issue with the exceptions? I made my entire audiogames folder an exception rather than specific individual files which seems to work fine.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-07 18:12:01

yes dark, your mathird also works, but some people are not setsfide with this.
so, i gave a trick to disable the windows defender.

2018-10-07 18:15:16

Winaero tweaker is how I disable windows defender.
https://winaero.com/download.php?view.1796

2018-10-07 18:28:12

I'd love to know just what it is that BGT does to flag a false positive.

2018-10-07 18:32:52 (edited by Slender 2018-10-07 21:12:45)

Unfortunately no one really has any idea. Some have speculated that it's do to how the compiler encrypts code, creating a shell of the BGT executable in the compiled program and tacking the bytecode onto it, while some reports have said that someone once made something malicious with BGT and it was flagged. I've seen some developers try several things to prevent Windows Defender from flagging their BGT executables but with no luck.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2018-10-07 18:50:07

I did send a message to Philip Bennifall about Bgt since as the originator of the code he should be able to get it unflagged, but I'm not sure if he ever did something about the problem.
its really a shame and most inconvenient, since whichever way you cut it Bgt has been used to make some exceptional things over the years.

As for turning off Windows Defender, I wouldn't personally like to do that owing to the need to always have an antivirus active or risk lots of nasty things happening to your Pc.

I can say Windows defender is a huge improvement over other antiviruses I've tried, both in terms of respecting exceptions and in terms of screen reader access, as well as playing nice with other programs, although I'll be the first to admit I haven't made an exhaustive study of all the antiviruses out there, I'm happy to go with whatever works, which at tbhe moment for me is a combination of Windows defender, Malware bites and  Cleaner for system repairs.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-07 18:58:33

thanks for your feed back guys really apriciate it.

2018-10-07 18:59:39

@Dark: Check Sophos out. It's pretty good and web based controls so it works wel. That being said on my backup Windows laptop I use Sophos/MBAM as a combo and it works pretty well. That being said...I'd argue you need a decent ad blocker nowadays too. Thar being said, too...Win Defender's a big improvement over MSE. I'd argue mind that the flagging is down to both how BGT does things and how the AV/AM programs detect threats. THere's a whole slew of great articles on that, way too many to link here....but point is, V/AM use heuristics and analysis to figure out what's safe and what's not, and BGT trips said programs. Somebody once told me exactly what it did (probably Ethin) but I don't recall off the top of my head what exactly trips the detection. From what I understand though it's not something that can easily be fixed without rewriting a lot of BGT and I'm not sure unflagging it is actually the right call though. As the saying goes, better safe than sorry.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-10-07 21:23:52

Far from turning it off, what I'd like to do is put an icon for it on my desktop, but so far I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. All the ways to do it that I found on the internet don't work. They probably did work at one time but don't any more. I am running Windows 10 now.

2018-10-07 21:56:15

Hi there.
I'll teach you guys how to do that windows defender thing.
First, open the notepad, and type that codes but, don't include the code start and the code end things.

Code start:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection]
"DisableBehaviorMonitoring"=dword:00000001
"DisableOnAccessProtection"=dword:00000001
"DisableScanOnRealtimeEnable"=dword:00000001
Code end
Then, save the file, but set that file's extension to .reg, run the .reg file, press the yes button, then press the OK button.
Then restart your computer, and it turned of.

2018-10-08 03:49:51

It's weird.  My Windows Defender has never deleted any bgt executables.  I hear about it happening all the time and I saw it happening on another windows 10 machine, but it's never happened here.  It's never flagged them as suspicious either.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2018-10-08 04:51:57

just open notepad, copy this there and save it with .reg extention, then  launch it and press enter on yes then ok

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Policy Manager]

note: if you want to enable it again,  edit this line and delete the 1 at the end of it and  put a 0 there

2018-10-08 06:39:55

The above registry hacks do not "disable windows defender" as some claim. Rather, it disables the antimalware executable. Windows defender, however, will still be active, and will still do what it usually does. If you do disable both however, beware that you will be fully opening yourself up to attack from anyone who wishes to do you harm, no matter who they are. You are effectively lowering the safeguards windows gives you and are telling them that you know exactly what you are doing. So, if you do run this, be sure to have a back-up antivirus/antimalware program installed to take over. And remember to reboot your computer.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-10-08 11:40:52

@ETHIN, it disables windows defender completely,  it does the same thing as enabling the turn off windows defender on gp edit.msc,  and since home users don't have the access to that  menu, they are forced to use registery

i've used this myself and win defender didn't even show up again, my win defender is enabled currently but when i disabled it i exported the reg file so i could disable it easily again

2018-10-08 15:26:52

@22, no, this disables the antimalware executable. Considering that I found this quite a ways back and have distributed it to all my close friends, I think I'm eligible to be taken seriously on this. It turns off the antimalware executable and the only reason WD doesn't show up again is because it no longer can monitor for malware and viruses, but it does not turn it off completely (i.e. turning off windows firewall and such).

My Github

2018-10-08 20:03:40

Again, I wouldn't willingly disable any AV and say fuck Win Defender it sucks don't have it on....because that's just opening yourself up to a lot more viruses and malware and such. I'm sorry but if you're not happy with Win Defender because it blocks BGT games due to those programs getting flagged as harmful due to whatever factors.....then maybe you need to..I dunno, make an exceptions folder and be careful what you download into that folder...

It's absolutely awful advice to turn off your AV/AM for any reason in 2018 honestly. That's like leaving your doors to your house and car open and unlocked and all your valuables by a window. You're basically asking for trouble. Also, every WIndows update (and there's a lot of them) will just renable Windows Defender. I'd argue instead of bitching about how awful Windows Defender is or isn't....actually learn common sense on the internet. Don't download strange files just because some random person online told you. Scan your downloads....and oh yeah, don't just click allow on any files you download that claim to do stuf. Oh and....don't go around teling people to turn off your AV/AM. ALl it takes is one malware author to see this advice and BGT games, load malware into a BGT program...and bam, you're screwed because your blindie friends kep teling you ned to turn of your AV/AM.
/rant

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-10-09 05:28:01

oh, i understand now. sorry