2018-09-12 22:24:08 (edited by x0 2018-09-12 22:25:48)

still have a problem, can't play this game on school computers without deleting the scores.dat file every time because some have win7 and the other ones have win10. When you try to launch the game and the existing SAPI voice doesn't exist, in the case of running it off a pen drive between 7 and 10 computers, you get this.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "the.py", line 7, in <module>
  File "functions.py", line 150, in mainmenu
  File "functions.py", line 1032, in init_local_scores
  File "classes.py", line 81, in <lambda>
  File "accessible_output2\outputs\sapi5.py", line 53, in set_voice
    self.object.Voice = self._voices[value]
KeyError: u'Microsoft Anna - English (United States)'

if you could please make it so that if the voice that's in there doesn't exist it will change to the system's default voice that would be nice. Or maybe just don't store the SAPI voice in the scores file, since we can't choose the SAPI voice anyway. just don't force set it to anything.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-09-13 05:44:33

there's any update?

2018-09-29 04:10:22 (edited by The Dwarfer 2018-09-29 04:11:48)

Hi guys,
I am proposing a fix that will make powerup spawns a lot less random, and more strategical in Oh Shit. Every 20 seconds, a powerup will spawn 20 feet from you - I will code in alternatives if the border is too short for that. It will be a cycle. So after the first 20 seconds, it might spawn a pit cover. The second 20 seconds might spawn an invincibility. And the 3rd 20 seconds might spawn a super speed. After 3 minutes, a rock storm will spawn every 90 seconds, but be 25 feet away.
In addition, picking up power-ups will do as people have been requesting, which is reward more than 1 point. However this is where you must choose: invincibility will only reward 2 points, pit covers 4, but super speed will give 6 points. I don't know if I'll give point bonuses to rock storms since those reward you a 25 second free window to amass a huge collection of points free of charge. What do you guys think of the idea?
Personally I like it since it would drastically reduce the occurrences of "lucky games" vs "unlucky games" and add more of a strategy element to gathering power-ups. I have kind of come to realize the flaws of a randomized power-up generation method - and while it can be fun and it has its benefits, I think maybe the other way would be better in Oh Shit since the overall direction of the game is drastically affected by the power-ups.
@151 that has been fixed, and @152 yes there will; school and other things have kept me from working on this.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2018-09-29 05:43:35

I actually really like this idea. I don't think rockstorms need bonuses attached, though.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2018-09-30 21:40:28

Okay guys so the update is not ready yet, but I did implement the system.
-Powerups start spawning after 1 minute to give pits and cannons time to start spawning.
-They then spawn every 20 seconds.
-There is a cycle - but it's one that allows super speed and invincibility to be less common, but pit covers increased as Defender and others wanted:
First a superspeed might spawn, then a pit cover. Then an invincibility, then another pit cover. Then a super speed, then a pit cover, then an invincibility, and a pit cover... so on. That cycle will repeat itself over and over again throughout the game. This insures that pit covers spawn every 40 seconds, while the other buffs will each only spawn every 80 seconds so you're not buffed all the time.
-Rock storms begin spawning just after 3 minutes, and one will spawn every 70 seconds starting then.
-power-up items spawn a bit far from you, so a tone will be played in the corresponding ear that the item spawned - so if it's to your left, you'll hear a tone in your left ear. This tone occurs not when the rock falls, but when the item actually spawns, so be quick! Oh but also be careful. Thankfully this distance is always about 20 squares so you won't have to go way too far.
-Superspeeds reward 6 extra points, pit covers 4, and invincibilities 2.
Let me know what you think of all this!

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2018-10-03 03:03:03

I say, please please update! smile

2018-10-04 11:05:30

sounds really cool to me! can you make rocks fall slightly slower? just a teency bit, I just find them a little bit too fast.

2018-10-05 04:19:48

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I avoid using the pit covers at virtually all costs because they block the cannon shots from coming at me. So for me, I would not benefit from pit covers coming more often.

2018-10-05 19:05:39

Yes. I in fact use them sparingly as well. But allowing pit covers to spawn more often, while it satisfies those who use them, the drawbacks are that A, you don't want to use them too much for obvious reasons, and B, there's now an 80 second delay between each invincibility spawn, and each super speed spawn likewise. So snap up all those pit covers which spawn 40 seconds apart, and cover away if you wish. big_smile Anyway, I'll get more coding done this weekend. This week has been school, homework, friends, sleep, and piano practice, no coding. Haha.

2018-10-09 15:20:42

You said you used packextracter. What is the key though

Regards,
Ty
If you like this post, why not thumb it up?

2018-10-09 19:19:29

There is no key.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2018-10-21 21:06:34

Hey guys,
New in 1.8:
-This one's a bit complicated. Powerup spawning is not based on random chance anymore. You are now guaranteed the ability to get as many powerups as your competitors, but you also have to move to each and every one. The system is based on a cycle - the various powerups will take their turn spawning, except for the rock storm of course which is on its own independent timer that doesn't trigger til after 3 minutes. For regular powerups you might get a schedule that looks like this: superspeed, pitcover, invincibility, pitcover, superspeed, pitcover, invincibility, pitcover and so on. Either way, due to popular request for a balance, I have made it so that pit covers spawn twice as often as the other bonuses - so the player isn't always invincible, but they can still get more than like 1 pit cover.
-Powerups will now always spawn quite a distance away. So when they spawn now, you'll hear a tone in either your left or right ear, so run in that  direction to grab the powerup. Have fun scrambling! The distance will get further away as the game goes but stop at a certain point like speed increasing.
-Last changes to powerups is that, and this is something people have wanted, powerups give bonus points! Of course, I did not make it how you'd like it though. Invincibility powerups only give 2 points, pit covers give 4, but superspeeds give 6! So I know you don't like super speeds, but the scoreboard does.
-Adds achievements! Due to this and other gameplay changes in this update, you may want to clear your stats anyway.
-Adds an options menu finally!
-It is now possible to adjust the game's pan step within the options menu. This won't affect volume, but some people did not like the weird panning so now they can change it.
-on the scoreboard, each individual score will clear after 1 week of it being posted. This way you are always guaranteed the same amount of fame as everyone else but also can't bum rush the board on reset day. Win win!
-Fixed an error that people were getting if moving their saves to different computers, that involved tts.
-fixed some hidden bugs in the learn game sounds menu that caused it to behave weirdly if you used home and end.

2018-10-23 03:14:26

Yaaaay!

2018-10-23 21:54:06

Hi guys,
glad people are loving the update! The forum topic hasn't really been active but the scoreboard has been exploding with entries over the past few days and I've received positive feedback elsewhere.
I wanted to tell you however, that the scoreboard will have to be cleared tomorrow. Ug, you say? You won't have the same reaction once you learn why:
Smoke-J, head of BSG, will be hosting another one of his giveaways! Between October 24 and 31, you will have the oppertunity to test your Oh Shit skills in a fierce competition to number 1 on the scoreboard! The winner of this competition will receive a prize - not limited to just one game, but basically anything of their choosing! You could get stw credits, play station, x-box, or ITunes cards, Swamp account time, etc! So the board clear doesn't sound so bad now, right? It helps that power ups aren't luck based now so basically anyone has relatively the same odds if they have good skill.
For more details on this giveaway, plus the rules you must follow for a chance to win, please read the blog post at https://blog.blackscreengaming.com/comp … /23/2018/.
Happy gaming! Unfortunately I can't compete with you guys, which is totally fare given i created the damn thing, but I'll be in full support of all of you! Someone for the love of God better beat Kai, aka Xoren on the forum, because otherwise he'll just get the highest score and beat you all again, but this time winning a prize. No way he's actually the best player out there.

2018-10-23 21:59:46

i can;t launch this game
  File "functions.py", line 151, in mainmenu
  File "functions.py", line 1267, in init_local_scores
  File "functions.py", line 1196, in save_scores
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\u0142' in position 58: ordinal not in range(128)

2018-10-23 23:12:54

Also unable to run this, I get the message fatal error unable to run the and it stops. Also here's my error log.
  File "functions.py", line 148, in mainmenu
  File "classes.py", line 17, in __init__
  File "classes.py", line 26, in find_tts
  File "accessible_output2\outputs\auto.py", line 12, in __init__
    self.outputs.append(output())
  File "accessible_output2\outputs\jaws.py", line 16, in __init__
    self.object = load_com("FreedomSci.JawsApi", "jfwapi")
  File "site-packages\libloader\com.py", line 15, in load_com
  File "site-packages\win32com\client\gencache.py", line 536, in EnsureDispatch
  File "site-packages\win32com\client\gencache.py", line 520, in EnsureModule
  File "site-packages\win32com\client\gencache.py", line 287, in MakeModuleForTypelib
  File "site-packages\win32com\client\makepy.py", line 286, in GenerateFromTypeLibSpec
  File "site-packages\win32com\client\gencache.py", line 554, in AddModuleToCache
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'CLSIDToClassMap'
  File "functions.py", line 147, in mainmenu
  File "classes.py", line 21, in __init__
  File "classes.py", line 30, in find_tts
  File "site-packages\win32com\client\gencache.py", line 287, in MakeModuleForTypelib
  File "site-packages\win32com\client\makepy.py", line 286, in GenerateFromTypeLibSpec
  File "functions.py", line 147, in mainmenu
  File "classes.py", line 21, in __init__
  File "classes.py", line 30, in find_tts

2018-10-24 15:08:42

Saphira:
Try deleting your save file and trying again. I don't know what's causing that, as it's one of those things that never happens anywhere else.
@Death: I'm releasing 1.9 today, I'll post in here when I do that - it'll be before the competition. I've hopefully... fixed this issue? In that version.

2018-10-24 15:49:42 (edited by The Dwarfer 2018-10-24 15:50:58)

1.9:
(Download link for those erroring and who cannot get to the updater: http://samtupy.com/stevend/oh_shit.zip
.)
-From now on, the game will present you with a menu displaying the change log before asking if you'd like to download the new update! Not in this version obviously but in all the next ones. I'll start posting change logs for the patches (like 1.91, 1.92, etc) now so you know what's going on.
-Now you can customize how many items will be displayed on the scoreboard from within the options menu. No longer limited to viewing the top 10 or 20 unless you want to be.
-fixes the log last played game to file option. I accidentally broke it in the last version, while fixing an error that allowed people to post their score twice! Lol!
-Adds 19 more achievements!
-Changes the rock storm interval from 70 to 87 seconds. This is because rock storms last 12 seconds, the bennefits last 25, so you'd have only 33 seconds between rock storms - and that's really benefitial if you grab them all. The waiting period between rock storms completely ending and the start of a new one is now 50 seconds. Some people might complain that you can only get like 2 rock storms in most really good games, but don't complain. Each rock storm will probably reward you with like 100 or more bonus points if you survive it anyway, and that's already generous.

Remember guys, the scoreboard will reset in just under 4 hours after this post, and the competition will be on! Also if you encounter any errors with this version, send them over as usual and I'll patch them up if possible.

2018-10-24 20:15:40

i don't have my save file wink

2018-10-24 23:13:23

Damn this game is more fun than it  should be. I'm loving it right now. Good job. smile

2018-10-25 02:45:58

Still having the same problem for some reason even after updating.

2018-10-25 21:07:04

@Death: Okay. I have a proposed solution for this problem, but of course I can't test it. Therefore I don't want to keep spamming people with updates until it works. So, please click the email link on my post, and tell me what would be a good way to contact you privately so you can do some testing. I'll create a patch that fixes this problem if possible, send it to you, that way you can still compete and play the game, but I won't change the version number til Smoke's competition is through and that way people aren't being spammed with updates continuously. Haha.

2018-10-25 23:21:00

Never mind. I'm going to release a new one just today because I had to adjust some things.

2018-10-25 23:37:34

Okay it's out, and it should allow everyone with screen reader or tts errors to play. If not let me know. I also had to fix a couple weird things but yeah.

2018-10-26 01:35:43

@dwarfer regarding of smoke competition in order to posting score do I need latest version when playing this game
or previous version can post and showing the same scoreboard?

the bestest reward for people who are working so hard they should receive their experience of their own life.
everyone can collect in everyday.
:d