2018-10-05 02:34:29

I’m not sure if they will allow this, but who would I contact if I want to become an administrator, or moderator on here? Qw

”I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4 verse 13
If you want to message me, send me a message using the forum email,  since I do not check my private messages that much.  I also have a TeamTalk server. Message me if you would like to have an account on my server

2018-10-05 02:44:44

The mods don't really let you fill out an application for that, it's sort of an invite only kind of deal. If they see that you're helpful, you're active a lot, you don't really cause much trouble, and you're good at speaking English, then they send you an email or something like that asking you if you'd like to work for them. I think this question should probably be put in the FAQ. Oh and BTW, this topic should probably be posted in Site and Forum Feedback.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-10-05 02:48:16 (edited by Slender 2018-10-05 02:54:47)

It is included in the FAQ already, see question 52 in this sticky topic in Site and Forum Feedback.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2018-10-05 03:11:26

there was also a topic like this about 3 weeks ago.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-10-05 03:22:12

@Slender Oh. Yeah, I probably should have checked the FAQ a second time before making that comment. tongue

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-10-05 04:11:35

@slender slightly off topic, but how do we know it's a toaster?

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-10-05 04:50:19

that is his signature I think.

2018-10-05 05:05:40

Moderation!

Yes, this is a question about the site which belongs in site and forum feedback so I'll move the topic.

@Piano player what people  said here is correct. Being a moderator, let alone an admin is not an easy job so we want to be absolutely sure who we ask, rather than just letting anyone join who wants to.

Unfortunately you have only 28 posts yourself so you just haven't been around the forum long enough to make an impression on the staff at this stage, so we have no idea whether you'd be a good mod or not.

Hope that makes sense.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-05 07:21:24

how meny posts it cost to you know that person is good or not?

2018-10-05 07:22:45

you can contact me, i'll give you moderator

2018-10-05 07:40:08

@mahdi-abedi: There is no answer to that question. Were it based entirely on number of posts, there'd be people going "Yay I have 69105 posts I can be a moderator Woohoohohohoooooooooooooooohoooooo!" Rather, it's about what you did with those posts, the type of person you are, how responsible the other moderators think you are, etc. There is no one thing you can do to even think of guaranteeing yourself a moderator position at some point, it doesn't work like that. And as others have said, if the moderators believe you would make a good moderator, they will contact you, not the other way around.

2018-10-05 07:58:06

Jaybird is correct here.

Remember, moderating isn't some sort of privilege or status symbol, its a job, frequently a dirty and thankless job.

Many really great and otherwise awesome people are just not cutout to be moderators, which isn't because there's anything wrong with them, its just because the job is  not an easy one or one which is suited to everybody, which is why we're quite careful about who gets appointed to be a mod, since nazi moderators or power junkies can really ruin a forum.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-10-05 08:02:53 (edited by Slender 2018-10-05 08:13:45)

@6 and 7 Yeah, that's my signature, no idea how I thought of it LOL, but I thought that it could use a change, the Book of Ice quotation I had set previously was getting a bit old, though in regards to the question, generally you need to reverse the direction of gravity to know it's a toaster. And good reference there in post 11, Jaybird.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2018-10-05 08:42:37

oh yeh, if i was a mod i'm sure  that i wasn't allowed to post posts  like 10 big_smile mods i wonder how mods live without posting posts like that big_smile

2018-10-09 01:12:16

I've moderated email lists in the past, and it was a generally good experience for me. However, they were, for the most part, low traffic lists, and I only ever had one serious issue to deal with which required banning. In any case, Dark is right, moderation isn't a job for everyone. Hell, I wouldn't want to be a mod on this forum, for the simple fact that certain people rub me the wrong way with some of the stuff they post, and I know I'd be harsher on them than was necessary if I had that power. I'm sure it would feel great, but it wouldn't win me any popularity contests, nor would it be good for the forum as a whole.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-10-09 01:42:50

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I have heard moderation is a job that is not easy. In my opinion, I think everyone should get the experience, though I also agree with Dark. We, meaning the admins, should also be careful, who they assign the privilege to do moderation.  I have had job experience as an administrator, setting up user accounts, and assigning users to different groups, as well as  resetting passwords and all that tech stuff. It wasn’t easy, because it was all through the command line, because graphical user interface was not accessible with JAWS, so I had to do it all through the command line, through active directory.  It was an awesome experience though, and if I do something like that again, I now have a better idea on what to expect.

If you want to message me, send me a message using the forum email,  since I do not check my private messages that much.  I also have a TeamTalk server. Message me if you would like to have an account on my server

2018-10-09 17:17:44

@Alireza, actually its quite possible to have a laugh as a mod as happened in the missing posts topic about the fake moderator discussion big_smile.

This is why staff always right "moderation!" with a big exclamation mark before doing any, ---- well moderation, or saying anything official, so that people can know what comments by staff are on or off duty.
After all, if we the staff didn't derive at least some fun from this community now and again, we probably wouldn't want to do much by way of moderating it big_smile.

@Turtlepower, generally speaking trouble increases as communities grow larger, though that is usually because with a larger community the trouble can have more of a knock on effect and upset more people, rather than larger  communities inherently attract more trouble makers. Also rmember that the trouble goes in waves, often aligned with real world troubles too and things usually calm down.
this is why moderating larger communities is a harder business to moderating small ones, albeit  impossibly so.

@Tpk: I'm afraid I don't necessarily agree that "Everyone should get the chance to be a moderator" anymore than everyone should get the chance to be a police officer. Its a job, nothing else. Some people are better suited to the job than others, which as I said previously isn't a  slur on  anyone's intrinsic value, its just recognising that  all have different inclinations and talents.

2018-10-09 17:39:18

@Dark  that makes sense. And I totally understand and agree.  Need to get off of here though, I’m getting ready for school.

2018-10-10 05:37:53

@Dark, Yay, I have over 3,000 posts now, am I allowed to become a moderator or a site administrator? big_smile

Kidding though.

2018-10-10 20:41:32

Hi,
haha I have just looked at the missing posts topic, and wow, that was, indeed, a fun read.
Regarding moderation I agree, it can be tricky sometimes. I'm the kind of mod that does not want to act unless absolutely necessary, who wants to examine a situation and get proof of things before taking an action. That is why I am quite reluctant to just close topics regarding the clone projects because I just hope that one day the devs will learn, the community speaks and often makes it's point known as well, but if enough proof or action is taken then the topic gets closed. I don't do this just to make drama happen, I do this to make sure that I don't scare off new devs. After all, say someone develops an fps but it is very similar to existing ones, as has indeed been happening, sure I can close the topic there and then but then what if that person comes up with a completely new and different project? What if they then don't want to post it because they are worried the topic will just be closed?

2018-11-09 04:23:06

there should be an application

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie