2018-09-29 00:24:14

I can't remembr the version I used around 2000 to 2003-4 but I don't recall that one having anything more than a hook into MS Sam at the time, I don't ever recall using it, though I swear it could do screeenreader-y stuff as well as zooming.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-09-29 01:55:47

Being from Denmark I can assure you that a cup of coffee has never been anywhere close to costing 850 kroner. At most you'd be looking at 50 or 60... That's at the high end though. 20 or 30 would probably be more acurate.
I'd be curious to know where you bought such an expensive drink though, if nothing else then at least to avoid going there.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2018-09-29 02:26:47

It was a veeery fancy place in Copenhagen actually where everything was ever so slightly expensive. So yes, avoid the five star places in Copenhagen. Though thinking back the bill just added up all the coffees and just had the total on the bill instead of each item. So yeah, we're both right smile Still, I'm not surer if I'm remembering Zoomtext right or not, I thought for some reason it was a screenreader too but now I ain't sure.

Also on Linux natively

2018-09-29 02:29:44

Zoomtext tried to be a screen reader, but it was limited.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-09-29 02:42:47 (edited by Nikola 2018-09-29 02:44:08)

Since lots of people seem unaware of this, there are lots of useful things on the NVDA wiki on GitHub. One good place is a page called switching from jaws to NVDA, which addresses some common issues jaws users have with NVDA. It also admits current flaws of NVDA especially with office, which I don't think some other company will do. In any case, check that page out at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-commun … JawsToNVDA
Also, the complete wiki is at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki
there is an explanation about configuration profiles there too, and since somebody said they could not find a tutorial for that I hope it will be useful.

2018-09-29 04:38:57

@Orko I don't remember saying anything about you in my post.
so no idea why you mentioned my name in your above post.

2018-09-29 11:23:19

Moderation!

Orko wrote:

I decided back then that as long as JAWS did what I needed and didn't give me any reasons to change to something else, I wouldn't throw away all the time and money I've invested in it.

I don't see any bashing of anyone else here, indeed Orko's attitude that he's happy with Jaws is not too different to what I said about NvdA myself in post 11, so JaseK's conclusions about Orko's attitude don't seem correct here.

Remember, that whatever a person said in the past, attitudes can change, hell people wouldn't have to look too hard to find some posts myself from four or five years ago about how crappy I found post xp windows, attitudes I have definitely now altered, so when replying to someone in a thread, try just looking at what the person is saying there, after all everyone has bad days, people occasionally snap etc.

Orko is comfortable with Jaws and has concluded that NvdA takes more tinkering, and like everyone else on this forum he's entitled to his opinion, so what is wrong with that.

@Shotgunshell, while you were correct in post 38 that Orko had not attacked anyone or bashed anything in this thread, please be careful when talking about someone saying "stupid things", since in fraught situations such remarks can come off as insulting even if it was not your intention. Remember, that we only have text as a medium to interact with each other here and get nothing of tone or nuance, so we need to be clear about what we're saying even when our intentions are good.

@Ironcross, no where did Orko assault anyone in this thread, and frankly telling someone to leave the forum is definitely crossing a line.
remember, you yourself have already received several mod warnings for  attacks on other memebers.
If you cannot learn to disagree with others gracefully and actually understand what is being said, then you  are likely to end up being banned from the forum in the future.

@Orko, Firstly in post 45 you mention Amir, who did not say anything about you. Secondly, please stop with this passive aggressive "I am leaving this thread" business.
OInly three people in this thread have actually made comments about your opinions which might be construed as negative, and shotgunshell's is very mild indeed.
While you have been misinterpreted as I said above, starting banging the "everyone is against me!" drumb  will not help the situation at all, indeed it strikes me more as the response of a sulky teenager than an intelligent adult.

If someone has made insulting remarks, there is the report link, but also bare in mind not everyone who disagrees with you is out to get you.
This is a discussion! forum after all.

Noww, might I suggest we get back to the actual comparisons, since as Shotgunshell said in the first post this topic was never intended to create friction, and the fact that such friction has occurred is actually quite ridiculous!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-09-29 12:05:40

I'm not quite sure how I ever got an old Zoomtext CD but....hey, I'm honestly debating selling it on Ebay though or somewhere else along with my Win2000 install CDs,though, on the whole wrapping thing that's jarring when it doesn't happen and you're used to it. Though I'm gonna toss Narrator another bone, it's actually pretty useful, just find a way for MS to nuke that big options menu that's constantly up when runningg.....which only ever shows up on the desktop...on that note, I swear XP and so on had a smaller options menu for some reason, though W7/10 have a giant one....that's constantly on the screen.

Also, I go back and forth on the sounds for events, I get why it's there, but I disagree with it though personally....mostly since I don't like a ton of beeps and dings and suchlike when I'm browsing a page, just nice quietness from said screenreader. One thing that bugs me about all screenreaders and badly designed sites (Hey Amazon!) is having the very first thing on a page be a search or input form with no search button, a la Google/Startpage/etc. That bugs the hell outta me honestly, it's just irritating. Or when you have 50000 forms on a basic search page. Yeesh, hide all that under advanced search.....

That being said, I like Orca's preferences for being laid out in tabs, I like NVDA's menu layout for getting to things to change, though I also wish I could (and probably can) change things on the command line for Orca or NVDA. Admittedly probably not NVDA as much given that I'm more wanting to pull this off in Linux but still......

Also on Linux natively

2018-09-29 18:13:15

You can turn of sound notifications in narrator's general settings. Personally I like hearing sounds for everything instead of button, checkbox, tree view, link and so on. Once you get used to it it's really much faster. Your screen reader is already reading the text of a control while the sound for it's name plays letting you know which control it is.

2018-09-29 19:02:54

@dark Sorry about that, I didn't really think about it.
@JaceK I don't know, personally I'd prefer the noise. I feel it gives my computer some life, but that might be just me.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-09-29 20:00:23

I'd rather turn off the giant NARRATOR IS HERE window that's always there..I get it, MS. I get it. If I'm reading a long, long Wiki page though I don't want a ton of beeps and such personally for links and so on if it's in the middle of a sentence. This was taken to its logical conclusion.....when every word in a paragraph was a link. Well done, Wikipedia editors. Well done!

Also on Linux natively

2018-09-30 11:49:21

Yeah, I guess that will happen at some point. Jaws has such a window by default too, but there's a setting to make it go to the system tray. Narrator is still in development, and one piece of feedback could make that happen.

2018-09-30 12:14:19

For me personally, NVDA is my screen reader of choice and my full-time reader since 2010. The last JAWS version that I've used actively was 12 or 13 I think. I am using NVDA at work as well. Yes, my company asked me if they need to buy JAWS for me, and I refused it. I'm glad that I did, since JAWS even doesn't work with Android Studio that I'm using 99% of my workday.
Although I am a developer as well, I never had any interests in writing JFW scripts. Now for NVDA I wrote two addons already, the released and one which is still under development.
However, if I make any app that talks through screen reader, I will also make sure that it'll talk through any screen reader and JAWS is not exception. But wait, there's Tolk library, so I even don't have to care about it.
I personally liked JAWS 7.0 and older versions. It was quite stable at that time, and it's download size was only 35 megs. Good old times really. The QUELLA authorization was much better than the Internet activation, because the only thing you had to care about is to backup authorization key before formatting your hard drive. It would even detect your authorization key if it's not on your hard drive, but the authorization floppy is inserted into the disk drive while JAWS is starting. I remember while I was maintaining computers in our local blind association, Windows Update was installing some driver updates, the computer Id changed, and activation was no longer valid, which means lost. So I had to do system restore in order to save the activation key. That was with JAWS 15. In older versions even it's user interface was easier to use and navigate, especially in JAWS versions before 4.0.
Some of you mentioned automatic wrapping to top or bottom when using quick navigation. Just to remind you that even JAWS didn't have this feature until version 5.0, and 4.5/3.5 were the first versions that I was using back in 2003 on Windows 98. So for me personally that's not a big loss, but we all are different.