2018-09-10 08:22:28

well
lost 200 poests of me, and my game topic
what should i do if i want my title again?
its big big hit, for someone like me, acktive poester
i hope admin's will answer

2018-09-10 09:04:37

Take a look at the message that's practically on every forum page and you'll understand why there are missing posts.

I would have waited for the backup personally, then ditched that hosting provider.

Are those posts now lost, or will they somehow be reincerted back into their original threads.

That's going to make conversations in some threads disjointed.

2018-09-10 09:08:29

i hope they can get backup

2018-09-10 11:36:29

wait, LOL? so you don't care about the fact that we  have, in some aspects, lost valuable posts/information, or for that matter, we don't exactly know what even happened to the forum, but instead, you're concerned about your losses of posts and title, which, more often than not, has no meaning? LOL I'm sorry, but I have no words.  if you were concerned about your user carma or something, that, I'd understand, but come on...

2018-09-10 12:03:26

I am not worried if I lost any posts.  Not a big deal to me.   Way I see it is, I'm just glad the forums are working again.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-09-10 12:17:46

If I were the admins, I would probably consider, changing the host. Taking that Long, to send out a backup, would not be acceptable to me.
I don't really care about lost titles either. It is just a bit disappointing, that so many Topics got lost...

2018-09-10 13:53:36

yes
who know what topic's lost

2018-09-10 14:30:57

@mahdi-abedi

Sheesh! One would think from your posts that you think that you're the only one who lost posts. The truth is that the whole forum and all its members, not just you, lost two weeks of activity

Back when I administered our support forums for our software, some irresponsible employees at the hosting service we used taught me the value of not trusting a hosting service, and to create and use my own backup plans. What happened was that when they decided to do some maintenance on the servicer we were on, instead of performing a graceful shutdown, they simply turned the thing off, causing all kinds of file system corruption. Then refused to restore from a backup so everyone one the server lost data. I think that everyone who was affected moved their web site to another hosting service.

After that, I set up a cron job that ran every night to create backup files of things I couldn't simply FTP down, like MySQL databases, then had two machines at the office FTP down the backup file to local storage.

2018-09-10 16:35:28

Boy Mahdi, you're such an upstanding guy! I mean I just love your team spirit and your concern about the community. Man, how'd we ever get along without you bro?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-09-10 17:51:34

I think people are being too harsh on mahdi-abedi.
He is just expressing his frustration at losing his topic, many posts, and the associated discussion others had with him.
We all feel that same frustration.
English is obviously not his first language, so I think his post came out sounding more self centric than was intended.
Please try to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially when it is obvious that some of the meaning is being lost in translation.

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2018-09-10 18:51:43

Nah he's just a right git, trust me.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-09-10 18:57:17

I'm sure if something was important that was lost in this I will just write it again later. Doesn't look like that much in the grand scheme for me at least.

2018-09-10 19:21:49

It sucks for everyone, but what can ya do, life moves on.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-09-10 20:30:01

Agree to post 13, I lost probably 22 posts so and one user carma, I do not care about them, I care just about topik loss, 11 topiks from new releases room for example disapeared, so...

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-09-10 21:21:42

I think the loss of topics is what bothers me the most. There were several new releases that were announced. That has to be a huge hit for everyone who now has to announce their titles over again. There were also a couple of people who had threads about their Youtube streams which now have to be built up again, if they choose to do so. It has to be seriously discouraging. I lost over 50 posts, and a title I was working hard to get since I personally despise this one, but have some empathy for the devs, because they're the ones who lost the most out of this.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-09-10 21:34:57

yeah its a rough one for sure. Hey at least I didn't drop a rank, and the only reason I even care is the one below this one is blastbay tool user, and yeah... bwahahahahaa, I'm more like a C# user or python user... or as Connor puts it, boa constrictor.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-09-10 23:34:13

15 nailed it. who cares about the title and amount of posts, when we have actually lost some valuable shits? hopefully they'll recreate their streaming threads, but we'll have to see.

2018-09-11 02:36:55

Aye, tis' a harsh lesson to learn, always keep a regular backup, and a backup of your backup. It sucks we lost two weeks but it beats losing the whole forum, unfortunately one of the casulaties seems to be the sound effects list kaigoku had put together, I've managed to salvage most of it from a google cache, just not sure if kaigoku should be the one to repost it.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-09-11 07:52:41

well posting  200 posts  in  a week, well that mean's you are workless but thanks for being active.   and tlw's page posts were only hey give me new link new link so it doesn't matter. aren't we all here to communicate with each other and learn new things? or to make posts and earn titles

2018-09-11 10:29:48

Moderation!

As this is about the site and forum I'm moving this topic to the appropriate room.

Yes, I sympathise with everyone's losses, indeed  on a personal level I'm mildly irritated myself  just before the crash  written a hole bunch of db updates which will now need to be redone, fortunately I have the update log  to remind me of what was done when.

About what happened, or whether the site will be changing hosts in future, I'm afraid I'm not sure.
Bare in mind I don't have any control over the site hosting or back end code, all of that is handled by Richad and Sander, I am guessing steps will be taken to insure that this can't happen again, though what exactly I'm not sure.

Equally though, we have had issues in the past and have always bounced back, people will probably remember the fire in 2010 at the game accessibility offices which took out the main server and was the reason why Sander had to change hosting in the first place, so while this is an arse for everyone, we'll all just have to carry on and pick up various pieces, and hopefully in a few weeks it'll be as if it didn't happen.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-09-11 13:42:27

Suggestion from me: Get a VPS and and host the site/forum on that. Also I'm just as baffled, since changing name servers shouldn't break entire sites or servers really.....then again I was wondering what the hell actually went on with the server since everything died. I figured it was a hardware issue and not site related, the little message at the top mentioned naeservers....I'm gonna call bull on that since it doesn't murder a whole site smile

Then again, you'd be amazed how easy some servers are to break. I once massacred a server simply by logging in and doing ls. Apparently displaying everything in the root directory was enough to cause that one server to give up entirely....though hosts normally* know what they are doing.

* Unless you are really stupid/unlucky with host choices.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-09-11 17:21:12

Ever since the forum went offline I've been hearing people suggest moving this site to a VPS.  What is the site using now, or before the crash I mean, if it is different now after the crash.  Lol that was confusing.  I guess I'm just wondering where people learned where and how the site was previously being hosted... like is it mentioned somewhere I haven't seen yet?

Withing me actually knowing, I would guess AG.net is either using shared hosting or a VPS, since that seems to be what the vast majority of small sites like this use.  If it is using shared hosting, I'd be curious to know why moving to a VPS would have been (or be) better for this site.  I understand how it can be better for some websites, depending on their needs, but how would it be better for This website.  Then, if AG.net is already using a VPS, why would so many people have mentioned it as a solution/recommendation?  I'm referring to people's messages on here, but mostly the larger number of messages on the audyssey list.

I don't mean to sound like I'm disagreeing with the VPS suggestion, I just feel like I'm missing something.  I'd like to know what the site is already using (because without that I can't hope to guess at what would be better), and I'd like to know how others already know what the site is using (because if they don't then the word "VPS" is being thrown around as the new magic buzz-word, similar to what we see in programming language discussions lately).

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-09-11 18:30:48

hi
can you give me my title please

2018-09-12 00:08:54

Titles are tied to post count so the only way to get new ones is write more posts, or be very lucky and win a custom title in a competition.

while theoretically yes, I could! use magic admin powers to alter people's post counts and thus give them higher ranking titles, it wouldn't be fair of me to do this for some people and not others, and there is no way to quickly and easily do it for everybody so i won't play favourites.

everyone lost out on their titles here, though given that god knows how many posts went missing including a lot of good information, new releases, and as I said db updates, titles aren't the worst thing this forum and its members have lost.
Still as I said before, the only thing to do is get up and carry on.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-09-12 09:25:49

how win in compertetions

Dark wrote:

Titles are tied to post count so the only way to get new ones is write more posts, or be very lucky and win a custom title in a competition.

while theoretically yes, I could! use magic admin powers to alter people's post counts and thus give them higher ranking titles, it wouldn't be fair of me to do this for some people and not others, and there is no way to quickly and easily do it for everybody so i won't play favourites.

everyone lost out on their titles here, though given that god knows how many posts went missing including a lot of good information, new releases, and as I said db updates, titles aren't the worst thing this forum and its members have lost.
Still as I said before, the only thing to do is get up and carry on.