2018-08-07 19:52:55

Oo, I didn't know updates were actually planned! Can't wait to see additional modes! Though of course I hope the original mode is left intact.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2018-08-08 02:12:30

are the cp sound encripted? because I had trouble extracting them.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2018-08-08 04:05:07

there is no encryption key for the cp sounds. It's data.dat.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-08-08 10:07:19 (edited by The Dwarfer 2018-08-08 10:08:57)

Oh shit now has a scoreboard! Read readme.txt to see how to post to it! Please!
-we now have a scoreboard both online and local
-we now have a main menu
-we now have a readme
-we now have it so that cannon balls destroy if they collide with one another
-A lot less cluttered in the main directory. Also: We! Now! Have! A! Sounds! Directory! Sooooo much easier to mod the sounds now and of course as I said, a lot less cluttered in the main dir!
-The title of the game window has now "Created by Stevo!" in it so that if people mod the sounds, it'll still be known that this is my game.
This is not the last update. I have more planned for the next version that you guys will like. I just wanted to tide myself over by watching you guys fill up the scoreboards, and of course competing with you from time to time, as I develop the new features and suggestions if I feel like they go towards my vision!
Anyway, here's the link:
http://samtupy.com/stevend/oh_shit.zip

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2018-08-08 12:30:36

Thumbs up for some great editions, wow this game is adictive, though I am a little embarrassed that now everyone can see how crappy my scores are big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-08-08 14:51:19

Hi,
I have another suggestion this one may or may not be easy to implement though, but regarding modding, could there possibly be a soundpacks feature so we can still keep the crazy party-style sounds, but just add more mods as we go, or will that be too difficult to implement?
So for instance in the main menu could be an option change sound pack and it then just scans the sounds directory for subfolders. If you try to select a pack that has missing sounds it will tell you which sounds are missing.
So the original pack could just be sounds\default, and in that pack menu the game would say "default". If someone made a star wars mod and called the folder star wars then that would be added to the menu, etc, etc. But if star wars is missing a sound and you try to select it, it would say the following sounds are missing, and then list them, with an option to copy to clipboard so you can put it into a notepad document so you know what sounds to still look for. Kind of a slightly more basic version of Oriol's soundpack system because I don't know if these packs should be unlockable or not, as I don't know if that would fit the game, but I think, at the very elast, they should be selectable.

2018-08-08 15:37:59

A few suggestions:

1. A score of 0 shouldn't count for much, in my opinion. It shouldn't get on your top ten, etc.

2. JAWS users can't play without putting JAWS to sleep and thus losing speech, or loading NVDA instead. Any fix?

2018-08-08 15:47:20

Hi! I haven't downloaded the game yet, I plan to do it tonight. I have a question though: does the speed of the falling objects increase as time passes? Thanks!

2018-08-08 16:25:07

Hi,
Not necessarily, but it also isn't needed because there are other things that happen in the game that make your mind go through a bit of a yikes what is this? sort of loop sometimes. I will put one of them below, but as a spoiler.
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
Did you know that the grid seems to expand a bit... every few seconds... which then allows pits to spawn.

2018-08-08 17:21:37

@57 Haven't used Jaws in a while, but back when I was using it, I'm pretty sure you could make per app changes in the settings center, can you not do that with this game?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-08 17:56:07

You can have JAWS go to sleep, but then that kills speech so you don't get your score, etc.

2018-08-08 19:02:18

Hello,

I love the game. The only thing that trips me up is if I'm really close to a rock, through my headphones it's hard to tell whether it's very slightly to my left or right, like I'm talking if it's 1 or 2 squares over in either direction. I go to move to try and get out of the way, then it hits me.

What I generally have been doing is I try to listen to the initial sound of the rock falling and try to move the opposite way, which works but sometimes I end up getting hit, again because when it's really close to me it's hard to tell which direction it is.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to do differently, if anything?

I haven't hit a casom yet, do those not appear until further? My highest score has been 69 with 3 minutes and 12 seconds but that's extremely rare.

Thanks for your help,

Brandon

2018-08-08 21:17:27

@62 yeah, the same happens for me sometimes. What I've learned though is that this game is about attention, if you have no powerups. As tempting as it can be to run full pelt across the map after that new item, you really gotta watch your step because things like pits and falling rocks can sneak up. When a rock starts falling near me like that I try to go the other way. Most of the time it works, sometimes it doesn't though. That sound is a real bitch to position for some reason.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2018-08-08 21:32:14

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response! smile I'll give that a shot!

Thanks,

Brandon

2018-08-08 21:40:53

Smoke Jay is kicking all of our asses. What the hell people, myself included! we cannot let this horrible shit continue!

2018-08-08 21:45:08

Hi,

I think part of the problem as we were discussing in 63, in my opinion, might be the volume of that initial sound.

As a case in point, when an item falls into a pit, it's super easy to hear where that sound is. Is it possible that maybe this sound when the rocks fall could be made louder, similar to the item fall into pit sound please?

Basically what I think is going on is that the sound when a rock starts falling is too suttle.

Sometimes I don't even hear it at all even when I'm close by.

Thanks,

Brandon

2018-08-08 22:14:47

So guys, I've released a tiny patch. Basically, Smoke sent me a recording that proved to me that my sound design skills... well let's just say they aren't up to par. I've significantly lowered the volume of footstep sounds and rock crashes, so now things such as pits and the beginning of rock falls should be far easier to pick up on.

2018-08-08 22:30:30

Hi,

I'll grab that. Hehe, I was still playing on the version that didn't have the main menu.

Thanks,

Brandon

2018-08-08 22:50:39 (edited by kruf 2018-08-08 22:51:28)

ironcross32 wrote:

@57 Haven't used Jaws in a while, but back when I was using it, I'm pretty sure you could make per app changes in the settings center, can you not do that with this game?

Hello,
You can create a .jkm file withe the game name (oh shit.jkm), and copy that with the notepad:
[Common Keys]
LeftArrow=
RightArrow=
Escape=

So, with my method, you have always score and other things.

I usualy speak french, so please excuse all my english mistakes. Thanks!

2018-08-08 22:59:22

Hi,

Is there anything I need to do to get the patch for the sounds other than getting the new version? It still seems hard to hear the initial sound of the rock falling.

I'm not trying to be picky, I'm legitimately having trouble picking up on this sometimes.

Thanks,

Brandon

2018-08-09 00:26:11 (edited by x0 2018-08-09 00:26:56)

I am unable to type numbers in the name for score input field so I cannot use my required online alias, x0. Also yeah I think that a person's highest score should be the only one shown, since smoke has 8 of them on the board. Either that or if they post under the same name it clears that, so you really would only wanna post if you achieved a new high score. Increases competition nature in my opinion.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2018-08-09 02:51:36

Hey guys.
So in the next version, I am planning to have a learn game sounds menu and sound packs. However, I was thinking: would you guys like it if I could make it so that the volumes of each sound could be adjusted in the menu? I get that people have all different hearing levels, and that for some it is hard to hear rock falls, etc. So Maybe this will help? Let me know.

2018-08-09 03:19:20

This title always makes me think of the robot from The Laser Collection 5.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-08-09 03:25:53

Hi,

At 72, that may help, although for me it's just that one sound. I don't know what it is about it, I think it's the way it starts off. For instance, it almost sounds as though there's a fade in effect on it, if that makes sense. If you play the item fall into pit  sound then the sound for a falling rock, the item fall into pit sound almost sounds like it starts off like... more of a beep? I don't know how to describe it. But there's something about that one that's much more noticeable to me and I can immediately hear where it is. I can position it, and I can always tell where it is in relation to me.

I'd be happy to discuss this with you more if you want as it's hard to type out what I mean.

Thanks,

Brandon

2018-08-09 04:16:52

Trouble is, it's all the same sound, just at a lower frequency. The rock fall never stops playing; it just keeps decreasing in pitch til it shatters against the pit floor.