2018-08-08 11:54:03

Hello!
I will get to the point now smile. Nothing more to say in the introduction
1. Is there any book for PB v5? I found this beginner's guide, but it is for PB4, and I don't know if nothing didn't change from that time.
2. Is it worth to learn this language? In another PB thread someone said that this language is now dead.
3. What choice do I have if it comes to the sound libraries? - I found some kind of Fmod port to PB, but as in q1, I don't know if it would work in later versions of PB, and I din't buy the compiler yet to test it.
4. How does PB handle network? Is it good, okay or just meh, like in BGT?
5. Is cross-compilation really that great like the developers say? Yeah yeah, I know it will fail if I use windows-specific libraries but yeah.
So, that are my questions for now. I really hope to get some aid on this.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-08-08 12:34:00

The beginners guide should be usable with version 5, it just won't cover any new commands and functions that were added since it was written. Since the book is now free, I don't expect it to be updated as new versions of Pure Basic are released.

I don't do any cross platform work myself, but from what I've heard from other who do, as long as you stick to native commands that indicate cross platform support, you can compile for any platform without needing to change any of the code.

I can't tell you about sound libraries because I wrote my own. Not because I didn't like any of the available libraries, but because I wanted something tailored to my specific needs and wants.

Nor can I tell you about network functions because my focus is on single player games.

hth

2018-08-08 12:42:48

Thanks for your response, Orko. So  I will stick to the beginner's guide. Thanks again!

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com