2010-08-03 19:12:34

what's the difference bitween the to?

2010-08-03 19:26:12

Stand by shuts down everything that isn't needed to store the state of your computer in ram so that that when you bring it back from stand by, it is where you left off. hibernate is basicly the same thing except the state of your computer is stored on the hard drive. This means that you need no power for hibernation, you need some for stand by. The computer will come up quicker from stand by then it wil on hibernation, but if the battery dies during stand by, then you lost anything that you didn't save. In hibernation you can change the battery and take an hour doing so and still not have lost anything.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-08-04 04:26:45

Put another way:
Standby drops the computer's power usage as far as it can get away with and still be in the same place you were before you put it on standby.
Hibernate dumps the memory's contents to the hard drive and fully shuts the computer off, when you turn it on again instead of starting up normally it loads the information stored on the hard drive so you're in the same place as you were before you set to hibernate.

Hibernate is useful for the option in power management for if your battery gets too low, that way you don't lose anything you were working on hopefully. If you're using a laptop or netbook with fair battery life standby is useful if you just need the computer sort of off for a while until you get to the next class, meeting, or whatever. Standby uses a lot less power.

Of course I'd test the options out with your screen reader to make sure they don't cause issues, which I've seen on some systems, before you rely on them in a real situation.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-08-04 06:26:18

I use standbye a fair amount on my blaptop, when for instance transferring betwene trains, though unless I'm doing anything hugely important I don't tend to bother with hibernate, and even then, i'm a save fanatic at the best of times.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-08-04 19:06:15

thanks. i standby a lot

2010-08-05 03:01:46

Well like I said hibernate is useful for the option to automatically do action X when you hit Y percent battery, in the power settings. Standby could work but hibernate is more reliable in this situation. It's a useful safety net.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-08-05 07:41:41

i think on some computers there is an option called sleep. What does that do

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-08-05 07:50:39

Same as standbye I believe.

I might look at changing the battery setting to hybernate sinse I could then change batteries without losing my place, ---- though that could get irritating when I'm running my batteries down simply to preserve their life and though as I said, I'm generaly careful enough to save when my battery looks to be running down.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-08-05 13:14:21

I don't know in windows seven, but in vista sleep does both. It stores the state of your computer in ram, but also stores the state of your machine on the harddrive so that if your battery dies, it still can come back where you last left off, if you haven't lost power, it will come up just as fast as stand by. Maybe I don't got it right. I don't know if sleep on apple is just stand by though.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-08-05 14:10:57

Yes sleep on Mac OS X is just standby I believe.

cx2
-----

2010-08-06 04:45:30

i usually keep my lap top pluged in at all times, because the battery life is terrible. When i am playing games the battery will go dead in like an hour or 2. So i usually keep it pluged in at all times, unless i need to go some whare

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2010-08-06 06:21:28

Heh, there was a time not so long ago when 1.5 hours was the best you could expect from a laptop. These days the more work it has to do the faster the battery runs down, that said audio games won't be as bad as mainstream games in this regard.

cx2
-----

2010-08-06 06:37:52

my battery seems to only last about an hour and a half no matter what i'm doing. I wish it would last longer, 3 or 4 hours.

2010-08-06 07:10:37

What kind of processor are you using?

cx2
-----

2010-08-06 08:04:20

I'M NOT QUITE SURE, but it's an hp computer

2010-08-06 10:51:49 (edited by elliott 2010-08-06 10:53:04)

This is just one of the reasons that I love netbooks. When I bought mine it came with a 3 cell battery which only lasted about 2 hours, but I purchased a 6 cell battery, and now on average I can get about 8 hours battery life, depending on what I'm doing of course.

2010-08-06 16:46:47

wow that's nice. I wish my lap top lasted that long

2010-08-07 01:14:14

I get something similar from the macbook pro I got. Core 2 duos can manage that.

If your laptop has a processor that doesn't run as efficiently then it might well run down that fast. If you look at your system entry in control panel it usually says what kind of processor you have. If it isn't a core 2 duo or core I intel processor then it probably won't do the thing those chips do where they only run processor cycles when they're being used.

cx2
-----

2010-08-07 08:19:22

i'll look at that. The strange thing though is that when my battery runs down my computer goes in to stand by mode, and when i plug it in and turn it on again, i don't seem to have lost anything

2010-08-09 01:11:39

That sounds more like hibernate, hmm. Though someone did say above that more recent versions of windows combine the two. Maybe its that?

cx2
-----