2018-06-15 07:26:54

There is a nice little program called uncheckie that runs in your system tray.

When you install a program like CCleaner which tries to force crapware onto your machine, it, for the most part, untics those checkboxes.

I use to find it very useful when I use to use DVD video soft's products.

I think filehippo might have it, or a simple google or search engine of your choice will find it.

2018-06-15 11:29:28

Windows defender also won't slow your computer down significantly because it doesn't use a filter driver, its made to work more directly, so one less thing on the I/O stack.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-15 14:17:19

This was before I lost my vision. I started using Avast around 2006 or 7, back then it was version 4.something and used standard windows controls in its user interface. Version 5 was pretty much the same thing. But version 6 and later looked like a completely different program, unlike versions 4 and 5 it was very heavily skinned. I would guess that that is when accessibility went into the crapper. All I know now is that I started using JAWS in late 2013 and by then Avast was pretty much an inaccessible mess.

Thanks for the tip about Unchecky, I'll have to look it up. It's easy enough to uncheck those options as long as they are accessible, but that isn't a given, I've run across a few installers where you could look at but not touch those options.

@Turtlepower17

I know I said I'd wait, but I got restless last night and made the switch to the portable version, you were right, except for a couple of settings which are not stored in the ini file, all my settings were honored, even better, changing them changes the ini file so there's always a way to preserve the settings for reinstalls or transferring to a new machine.

And I'll agree with the others, Since I'm using Windows 7 I'm using Security Essentials and of all the anti virus, anti malware programs I've looked at, it's the only one that is fully accessible.

2018-06-29 16:49:55

Well, unfortunately, CCleaner proved itself to be untrustworthy, so I ended up removing it.

I had it configured to do some cleaning tasks whenever I started my computer, not many, deleting files older than a day from the temporary folders, removing cookies not marked to be kept, and deleting the menu order cache. I did not have it set to delete my browsing history as I find that information useful at times, and I did not have it set to delete temporary internet files because I have Internet Explorer set up to empty its cache when it exits.

Yet several times since I installed it I found all my cookies deleted and my browsing history cleared. This never happened before I installed CCleaner, so its pretty obvious what's happening.

My concern was that if it deletes those two things that I set it up not to delete, what else is it deleting that I don't know about, and that thought just makes me nervous about the program.

2018-06-30 02:17:17

That's a shame. I never set it to run at startup, since I don't like too many unnecessary programs to be lurking in the background. I never encountered that particular issue, but I can see how it would be a dealbreaker.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-06-30 16:26:45

Neither do I, so to keep its footprint as small as possible during startup, I only had it set up to clean up a small handful of things, like files older than 24 hours in the windows temp folders, and unwanted cookie files. Then it was set up to exit after cleaning. So its impact on start up wasn't noticeable.