2018-06-12 17:35:56 (edited by Joseph Westhouse 2018-06-12 17:37:46)

As any of you who develop games without sight can attest, one of the biggest challenges facing blind developers (and therefore facing the accessible gaming market) is the lack of access to mainstream tools. It's high time we did something about it.

Below, you'll find a link to a three-year-old feature request for screen reader support in the Unity editor. I would like to start a sort of sustained grass-roots effort to flood this request with up votes. My request would be that anyone who reads this would follow the link, set up a Unity ID if you don't already have one, and up-vote this feature request as many times as you're able. If I understand correctly, you get a certain number of votes per month, so after the month passes, you can come back and up-vote it again. Let's make it clear to the developers of the Unity 3D engine that access to development tools is a pressing issue for blind developers, and that we're not going to be quiet until some serious attention is given to meeting our needs. Who's with me?

Here's the link to the feature request. Together, this community is a force to be reckoned with...let's prove it! https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestion … essibility

2018-06-12 17:58:10

Upvoted.  smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2018-06-12 18:59:49

No offense, and I don't mean to sound rude, but this sounds like we're shoving this down Unity's throat. They haven't done anything about it in the time its been open. So what is going to change that? We can upvote it a million time s and Unity won't listen to us.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-12 19:52:46

No offense taken, Ethin. Unity has, quite literally, tens of thousands of support requests—so I don't think it's a safe assumption that they have even seen the feature request in question. I'm guessing that getting something noticed requires a lot of votes, and a certain degree of good fortune. And getting it acted on probably requires even more noise from developers suggesting that it's a feature worth implementing. So my hope is to try and give this request enough traffic that Unity at least notices it, maybe even realizes that it's something worth doing. But since we represent such a small percentage of their developer base, we need to make an inordinate amount of commotion.

Basically it's one of those things where, while there is no guarantee anything will come of trying to push this request up the ranks, it is almost guaranteed that nothing will happen if we do nothing. So why wouldn't we at least try? Activism has to start somewhere,e and this seems like a good, easy, minimal-effort way to start. It could be worse, I could be asking people to spam Unity's Twitter or something. I'm just trying to work within the system they've provided, to give this feature request a higher chance of getting noticed.

2018-06-12 20:32:36

Very true. Lets hope it gets somewhere; I and the Godot developers are already working on a solution for the Godot editor and accessibility in it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-12 21:21:49

Well I used my 10 votes, and please do post on this thread every month if you can remember Joseph as to remind us.
Those freaking check boxes that don't announce their changed status though... Means I can't easily unsubscribe from their annoying newsletter, I'll figure it out by trial and error I guess.
Visionman50 in the comments isn't exactly helping our cause either with his recriminating tone and shit spelling though I have to say... He's got good points and links, and maybe shaming them into it will work but, I don't know.

2018-06-13 00:41:18

Hi there. I also just gave 10 votes. Doing this is better than nothing. Hope to see it accessible soon

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-06-13 02:20:35

voted up

2018-06-15 06:35:11

thanks for make this pubic joseph.
boting now.

2018-06-15 11:13:36

Lol you may want to edit that post @9, sorry, had a little internal chuckle there.

I thought there was an accessibility plugin for Unity, but I believe its not official. To vote this up, do I have to have Unity installed, because I think that's a behemoth of a thing to install, I do already have vs2017 and that thing is gargantuan already anyway so...

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-15 16:44:27

I believe the accessibility plug-in is to allow developers to implement screen-reader accessibility in their projects created in Unity. As far as I'm aware, there is no plug-in to make the Unity editor itself screen-reader accessible. If there is, though, I'd very much like to know about it.

And no, I don't believe you have to have Unity installed to register a Unity ID. I don't know that for sure, though.

2018-06-15 16:52:01

first, sorry about the pubic instead of public jajajajajaja. I mispelled the l xd.

About the accessibility plugin, well. Is as joseph say. only for add screen reader support of your games, but not for the UI of the unity itself.

The most near that we have for... try program something in unity, is this:
https://github.com/frastlin/Screenreade … tyTemplate

a small template that works for code all aspects of the project directly, but... when you wanna build or change other stuff of the project settings, you can't...

2018-06-22 02:20:11

I actually can't figure out how to vote more than 10 times. I have had my account for 3 years and still no more than 10 votes. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or what, but the docs say you get 10 votes each month, but I don't see more than my 10 votes that are on this problem.

2018-06-26 16:11:31

let's telll sighted developpers to vote as well, we can anounce it on mainstream boards such as stackoverflow.

2018-06-26 18:38:26

that's not what stackoverflow is for.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-26 20:18:57

ironcross32 wrote:

that's not what stackoverflow is for.

i know whhat stackoverflow is for, i was making an example though it might go a bit far from what i wanted to say

2018-06-26 20:38:21

Unity accessibility is getting a lot of attention on Twitter all of a sudden (and not just the English-speaking UX community), so, uh, that's happening.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-06-27 17:03:17

@16, hate to say it but clearly you didnt. No one would ever dare posting something like this on stack overflow. Ever. smile

My Github

2018-06-28 19:51:16

Actually, @Ethin, a bit off topic, but I was also thinking about taking an opensource engine like Godot and using that as it is opensource and could be modified (probably) to meet our needs, but you seem to be ahead of me on that one. Any chance you could provide a way for others to get involved? If you could get a few other skilled programmers involved along with your efforts, and the efforts of the main devs, it would allow progress to move a bit quicker.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2018-06-29 01:24:33

@19, I could. Unfortunately another developer is trying to make it too so we're in a bit of a snag. I think my implementation in GDScript works, though I unfortunately have no way of testing it, unfortunately. You can, however, find my latest commit in my forked git repository at https://github.com/ethindp/godot. I haven't made a commit in it for a while.

My Github

2018-06-29 05:50:44

Hmm. There's another dev working on the same project? Interesting. Well, I'll probably send you a forum mail later as not to throw off this thread too much.

I have a website now.

2018-06-29 21:16:47

Right, sorry for the slightly double post, but @Ethin, I finally got around to sending you a private message. Now, to look at upvoting the unity thing as well.

I have a website now.