2018-06-04 12:31:29

Regarding the 60 second post on the forum, I kind of wish this weren't a thing, or it could be limited to only be in effect for people with under 10 user karma. The reason being is that often, I am reading, posting, reading in short order, I don't like an artificial limitation because basically, I can't get anything done in the meantime, except maybe use the bathroom. If I use that time to get housework done, or something, I'll end up taking hours cleaning and come back to a page and be like what? It's just not necessary I think, what is a better strategy is preventing the spambots in the first place, which is being done to an extent, and clamping down hard on people who do spam. While it would reduce flooding, a clever programmer would set their bot to post every 60 seconds with a 0.005 second offset.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-05 15:55:21

Well we can't make any groups based on user karma since its not something the forum tracks or takes note of in terms of permissions.

Given the spambot restriction we have now  however,I have set the post flud interval down to 10 seconds for members.

I'd rather keep a slight delay just in case someone say hits the submit button twice by mistake, since that is a bit of a pain to clean up, but 60 seconds does indeed seem a rather long time.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-06-05 17:08:43

yeah, good call, though I did that once and the forum posted it twice, I think if you like accidentally bounce the key it goes through twice since before the first query to the database completes.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-06 01:26:31

although since we have the ability to delete, if things go through twice, I would like to think the  poster takes the time and deletes one out of the 2 messages they send.

2018-06-06 13:31:22

Theoretically braille0109, though I'm afraid I've also seen cases where the poster has clearly hit the button an extra time or two and not noticed. Then again if a poster did delete a mistakenly repeated message obviously nobody would know anyway big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)