2018-05-17 00:42:00

Dear NVDA users, developers, community members, and accessibility enthusiasts:

I'm Adriani Botez, a member of the NVDACon Organizing Committee for the 2018 NVDA Users and Developers Conference. On behalf of event organizers, NV Access and the NVDA Community, I would like to invite you to join us on June 1st to 3rd for the 2018 NVDACon: Future-Proofing NVDA.

Since 2006, NVDA (NonVisual Desktop Access) has been a screen reader of choice for hundreds of thousands of blind people around the world. Providing access to jobs, education, and other possibilities, NVDA has become a role model for community engagement and service. What two blind men started to develop in early 2000s, is now changing the live of about 100.000 people worldwide.

The NVDACon began in 2014 in order to bring many members of the NVDA community together for a weekend of fun and discussions. Through helpful sessions and a keynote by NV Access, the event (now in its fifth year) serves as a venue for users and developers to share their stories and goals, as well as for important discussions about NVDA ecosystem, accessibility and cooperations to take place. This year, our mission at NVDACon is to reflect NVDA's past, current story, and prepare the screen reader and its community for future technological and other changes so NVDA can grow for years to come.

For more information please visit our website at:
https://www.nvdacon.org/
Do you have any questions? You can contact us at [email protected].

We the NVDACon organizers, NV Access, and the NVDA Community look forward to meeting you at 2018 NVDACon!

When: June 01st to 03rd
Where: on our TeamTalk server at tt://nvdacon.org/?tcpport=10333&udpport=10333

Join us on the accessible path to future! #NVDACon #NVDASR

2018-05-17 00:56:27

Hi,
This is awesome! I'm so happy to see NVDA moving forward all the time! I'm definitely someone that your product has touched personally and so many of us are indebted to NVAccess for enabling us as blind people to achieve our dreams. I'll definitely try to attend the event if I can.

2018-05-17 02:56:25

Will there ever be NVDA for linux systems?

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2018-05-17 11:15:41

If I had just one link on my website it would be for NVDA.  I told the RNIB here in the UK they should have a link on there home page, preferably right at the top in bold letters.  NVA is already more important than the RNIB and they just can't see it.  Its inspiring stuff and one of the reasons I have kept my software free and accessible, and I will not be the only one.  You folks rock.

Try my free games and software at www.rockywaters.co.uk

2018-05-17 17:31:08

The event is definitely worth it, I've been there two years now, for the 2016 and 2017 events.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-17 19:26:17

Yep I will plan to attend as well. Looking forward.

2018-05-17 22:22:31

I also as well. I should attend this when I'vecompleted the exams.

73 Wj3u

2018-05-18 00:06:57

At first I thought that this would be like those conferences that you'd physically go to. smile Now I see not. NVDA has been with me since 2011 or so, and its definitely changed my life for the better. I'll certainly be attending! smile

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-05-20 15:37:56

hurstseth405 wrote:

Will there ever be NVDA for linux systems?

well, since NVDA is now in process of being ported to Python 3 and WX Python 4.1, yes it would be possible some time in the future. But for this, NVDA's code has to be adjusted for Linux systems. If we find developers who are Linux experts and want to look into it, the project is open source. So that should not be a problem.

2018-05-20 15:40:38

But I guess the Linux and the Windows version has to be maintained separately. So it is a question of capacity and it might only be possible if NV Access has a bigger team. Otherwise another carity could be established to administrate NVDA for Linux.

2018-05-20 15:42:02

This is one of the points which could be discussed at NVDACon.

2018-05-20 17:32:53

Hi, There is an edit button on any post you make that will allow you to add or modify content in it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-20 20:08:21

I'm not really sure how NVDA for Linux would be any better than Orca, which is specifically designed for LInux. smile Plus, NVDA uses a lot of windows-specific APIs (from what I saw of its source code a few months ago). I could try and help with the porting effort but one thing we'll definitely run into is the DLL loading. (The TTS output may also be a problem, too.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-05-20 21:17:48

Orca annoys me though. Especially since there is no way that I know of to just jack in eSpeak right to Orca, bypassing speech dispatcher. Even on the lightest OS, on bare metal, there is lag with orca.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-20 22:17:55

And for Mac OS?
as NVDA is programmed in Python, it could be ported to Mac OS, Linux and other OS. but I know, it takes so much tyme to doo this adaptations. if NVDA merges with Orca, that could be fun.

73 Wj3u

2018-05-21 05:36:40 (edited by Ethin 2018-05-21 05:37:40)

It would be awesome, yes; but, like I said, it would be incredibly hard to do (the main parts would be DLL loading/unloading and windows APIs conversion to generic, cross-platform system APIs, or a multi-platform interface). The generic cross-platform system APIs would probably be much better if we're going to port it to many platforms like Mac OS, FreeBSD, Linux, Etc. It certainly is within the realm of possibilities though, that's for sure. I'd start on it now if I knew where to start, but I've never reviewed the code fully so... smile

My Github

2018-05-21 08:51:54

Mac OS? Are you forgetting voiceover?
lol

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2018-05-22 21:04:29

I will join you guys for sure if I find enough time because I'll be quite busy in next fiew weeks. My last NVDACon that I was attending was I think 2016.

2018-05-23 02:47:00

@Post15, if you got a Mac, why should you need NVDA? Is VoiceOVer not worth it?