2018-05-07 21:01:22

rashad, I did not say that I don't need people's opinion. I need people's opinions, but I will make the decision myself.

2018-05-07 22:18:55

well make it already and leeve us alone.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-05-07 23:06:08

Jonikster, I sent you a PM.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-05-08 01:20:13

Seriously, enough already, you're not even paying close attention to what we say anyway, so quit bothering us.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-10 05:50:46

@Dark in post 2 you said he should either make a decision or be happy. I don't think he is happy where he is or else he wouldn't move, but still these topics keep coming back over and over again, it's redundant! Now if you'll excuse me, I need to write a post about writing a post about post writing about topics like this and the fact that I'm writing posts on post writing on topics like this and writing posts. Oh and did I mention I'm writing a post?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-05-10 14:56:25

Shotgunshell wrote:

@Dark in post 2 you said he should either make a decision or be happy. I don't think he is happy where he is or else he wouldn't move

This was precisely my point. He's got all the info he's going to get, so his choices now are learning to be happy where he  is or doing something about moving.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-05-11 02:57:45

@Dark: Since you're in here I was gonna ask you about the RNIB. Is it just me or do they ramp the prices of stuff up? I was discussing this with my social worker who is very talkative and very friendly and decent, and she and I both came to the same conclusion that it's cheaper to get a regular apliance and get somebody to tell me what it says.

F.ex. Talking microwave? £700+

Regular microwave? £400 and then paying or living with other people works out cheaper.

On that note,....here I go replying to random people

@JeffP: You want to move to the ocean? That's tidally a good move but I hope you've capped your expectations though. It can be a bore since fins aren't always excitingg. I mean, people who live in the oceans usually are prone to tropical debates and opinions and do suffer from depressions and stormy temprements and yes, clouded judgement. On that note, can you be more spacific why you like the ocean? I mean, whole raft of reasons....

There, that's your string of puns for the day.

@1: Okay, I'm gonna be blunt here. You've made  acrapton of topics. Google things. Don't ask inanly stupid questions since, ya know, people get pissed off at that as a thing. Oh and if you're going to make sweeping statements...at least try to be accurate.

Also for the space race bit, I saw a segment on I think it was Modern Marvels with historians discussing the US shock at Sputnik. Up until that point the US psyche was we are the US, we are invincible and nobody else has our toys. There's a fantastic line from a Windscale documentary with a guy who worked on the Manhattan project (again I'll point out I've been hiking on the Hanord site up in WA and still around), saying how arrogant the US was. It was considered at one point that givingg information about the nuclear weapons to anyone else was going to be a capital offense. Bear in mind the British scientists did a lot of the work...

But back to Sputnik. The US was scared shitless of Sputnik, it was compared to 9/11 in terms of shaking America to the core and shattering the psyche and the idea of invincibility. The fact America's answer to the sattellite didn't work and got the name Kaputnik was further insult to the US.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-05-11 03:33:04

@JAceK yes, the RNIB do ramp the prices of things up, often because they are the soul supplier of those things. That being said I don't know where you got the idea of a talking microwave for £700 though, indeed if that is what the RNIB are selling them for yee gods they're being crooks!

Cobolt systems have one you can buy for £225, see This page for details.

One current issue with microwaves is that the old sort with a couple of usable dials that you could get around with a talking timer  are far less common, mostly they have digital touch pads. You can get around a digital touchpad with bumpons, but its mostly less convenient especially if you want to time things for random intervals, and especially if the mike is inconveniently  digital with lots of programs etc.

I never used to bother with a talking microwave myself, then a friendly  blind neighbor was kind enough to leave me one in his will which I used for several years until it ended up on fire thanks to some doritos big_smile. (I'm not sure if the fire was the doritos, the age of the mike or both).

The house insurance conveniently enough payed for another one which my lady and I are still using, but it was indeed that one from Cobbold I provided the above link to which still costs £225, its also got a very handy kitchen timer on it as well.

hth.

edit: Okay just had a brief google. The RNIB's talking mike is apparently £371, which is isn't as handy as getting it direct from Cobolt for £225, but is a lot better than £700 as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-05-11 04:17:54

I'm not sure how easy they are to get now either but I've had my microwave for about 10 years. cost me 25 quid out of asda. nice clicky dial for the settings and a nice timer dial which you can just shut off if you have a timer running on your phone, watch etc. and it goes ding. I miss microwaves going ding. works a treet and I'm never gonna pay the RNIB that kind of money for something so over priced when there are easy ways round it.

friend of mine has one of those talking ones though and it tells her when she's opened the door, and tells her when she's closed it. why?
ok i'll hold this release catch and open the door, oh, I've opened the door. it just told me. the fact I just went through those steps and can feel that the door is open doesn't matter. I'm so glad it told me I did that.

lol proper paranoya here as well but when I was at school back in 1990 or so, our craft and tech teacher told us about a contest for blind children to come up with an idea for something that would be useful for other blind people. something that was doable and not fantasy. don't say talking cars like nite rider he gave as an example. winnder would get a prise and if it was made a share of the profits. we never found out who won. my idea though was a microwave that used a similar system as the sharpe talking calculators. and guess what? there it was, on the market about a year later.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-05-11 04:18:58

I hate the microwaves with digital buttons. Gimme a dial I can turn any day. Also the £700 was from a catalog a few years ago, though I'll ask around once I'm out of the land of sheep. It's amazing though, go to Wales, people don't care if you're blind, they help you. Go to England and in some areas it's like you're invisible. I just like going into places and scaring the locals with my quickly learned Welsh. S4C are great at that.

Okay that microwave looks interesting, now I got to find a reason to kill the old one and subtly replace it...but I cook on an induction hob anyhow or oven. I'd like a talking induction hob and/or oven too, ya know...then I'd be set really. I'd have thought (not checked though) one would exist by now.

Also I'm now more and more confused by the RNIB's prices. They seem like somebody just hammered the numeric keys and that's the price, or, as a friend put it....somebody tossed a dart into the price list

Also on Linux natively

2018-05-11 04:33:00

Also, the point bout the talking microwave reminded me of the doors in the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm not sure I'd willingly buy anything Sirius Cybernetics Corporation marketed though. Just imagine a microwave with Genuine People Personality. That's both scarier and a lot more entertaining than it has any right to be.

Also on Linux natively

2018-05-11 08:09:52

"You expect me to cook that with this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side!" that is an amusing and rather scary thought.

I will freely admit if you have one of the ding ding dile type of microwaves, as opposed to the dismal diode type of microwaves, they can be perfectly usable no problem, especially if you bang bumpons on the timer (can you tell I like bumpons).

Unfortunately talking microwaves are one of these things where yes, you could live without one, but its sort of handy to have one.

For example, its easier to remember times for individual stuff when you actually have a timer to set by hitting buttons, also I find the kitchin timer useful when cooking other stuff in the oven especially when I need to time several things at once.

Though I agree with Sir Badger that being told "door open" is rather irritating, I also don't like the fact that you have the bottom with the start button (which also sets one minute), and stop button, but then for some reason the second row up are buttons to automatically time two, three or four minuttes, and to get the buttons to set the thing for several seconds or minutes yu have to go above those.
This is a really silly design decision and one I'm fairly sure is prompted by the expectation that the poor little blind people can't you know time something big_smile.

I've also never used any of the programs or altered the power settings, usually I just bang stuff in for a given time and thats that.

With the RNIB I will say they're getting better than they used to be, I remember a point for example when a pack of braille playing cards would cost you twenty quid, and that back in the days when twenty quid was actually a lot of money big_smile.

I also was impressed that the pen friend didn't cost as much as I expected it to, and of course these days talking books are thankfully free again.

Generally if your getting something from the RNIB, its best to check online first, though in some instances they work, what is more of a concern is when they sell things for "your carer" to use. I was disturbed for example when they supposedly sold me a talking clock that it was impossible to set myself and when I complained they said "get your carer to do it", which carer is this exactly?

2018-05-13 04:06:00

I just hate how everything's going so sensitive. I sneezed near the buttons of the one in my kithen and it was trying to figure out why I'd just hit every button several dozen times and then told it to cook for 0:00 on two different power settings at once....

i said this to one of my mother's friends the other week, things are getting too high tech, actually the whole discussion came up about cars and how high tech they are. I'd rather have an older, lower tech dial microwave with less settings, than a microwave that works by getting within a foot of the buttons and breathing on them thanks. What next, faial recognition microwaves? I'll admit, gimme a 3

Also, induction hobs though are hella awesome. I'll admit I'm a massive massive fan of those. I found a talking one for £75 from the RNIB (which seems reasonable) and I'm being cynical asking what the catch is...aside from it being one ring

Also on Linux natively

2018-05-13 04:48:53

Hello.

@JaceK. There's a two ring induction hob from the RNIB. You can read about it here http://shop.rnib.org.uk/double-talking- … n-hob.html

I think these might be new products, i've not come across them before.

This might be something I'd actuallly want to buy from the RNIB, I have their talking microwave/grill but honestly, I don't use it that much, my grandparents use it more than me and that's only the microwave setting.

I got it from a mobility officer but really don't feel like I needed most of the stuff I got so through most of it away. I could have recycled it or gave the stuff to charitys but it didn't cross my mind at the time.

I'm gone for real :)

2018-05-13 06:00:32

I did come across the two ring one but I was lazy and googled for a talking one.I got a four ring one that's not talkative though. If I can grab a free standing one I'm set. I'm now majorly confused by all the high tech stuff. I like my tech simple and easy to use. I'm old school. I'll happily use a command line and a desktop, but I want simple and efficient. I want a microwave with dials, or a phone that isn't a computer, ya know?

Also on Linux natively

2018-05-13 10:08:26

ACtually the Iphone is sort of useful in and of itself but that's another debate.
In terms of the induction hob that might actually be something for me to investigate, since currently the hob on our oven is utterly broke, and even if it were working it would be completely unusable due to  no ability to tell where the damn rings are big_smile.
then again between the george foreman Grill, the microwave and my electric steamer (which is a really handy piece of equipment), I'm not sure how much I'd use a hob anyhow, I even found a way to do fresh pasta in the mike too.
the only thing I used to make on the hob which I can't these days are stir fries.

JAceK I can say the kobold talkig microwaves aren't too bad, they have, you know actual buttons, though finding a washing machine with dials was wonderfully difficult. We even looked into getting a so called " "smart" washing machine, accept that firstly the "smart" functions didn't actually extend to setting the thing with alexa, just starting and stopping it, and secondly in order to set the thing up and configure it you had to use a completely unusable screen, so we just went for the one with dials instead.

2018-05-13 10:20:14

About education.
I heard that in England it's easier to go to university, and training is cheaper. Even if you compare Oxford and Harvard, prices are very different.

2018-05-13 10:43:58

@41:

I just stick (mostly) to an oven though. It's amazing how many things you can do with a casserole dish. Actually I have a Remosca, a Polish or Slovakian or Slovenian basically portable cookpot that's easy, put things in, plug in, flip the switch, leave it to do its thing, then pull whatever you cooked out of it. Only downside is the vents for steam and such are on the top though. It's a useful thing, IIRC you can do stir frys in it but I just used it for throwing parcels of stuf together. Throw some chicken, bacon, veggies, herbs, some salt, pepper and whatever else in, wrap it in foil or paper, problem solved. I like my induction hob, the free standing one actually has slightly raised buttons. The one sunk into the worktop....not so much. Of course me being me I put those bumpons over the actual buttons then wonderd why it wasn't working smile

@42: Instead of asking us every tiny tiny little question....do your research. You obviously have a computer and access to the Internet, and can search things. So go search things and make your own conclusions. I'm starting to think you're a drama llama, you spit your drama everyone and are purely making these topics for nothing more than attention. If you are actually serious about moving or whatevr your other topic virtual state BS is.....do your research and as Shya LeBouf puts it: JUST DOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

....wow, Orca really killed that moment, I expected it to scream it. Alright, insert Shya clip here....

Also on Linux natively

2018-05-13 11:23:21

@Jonickster, why don't you read through your massive backlog of topics on this subject since myself and others already answered that question and talked about education.

Drama Lama? That's one I've not heard before. Drama queen yess, drama magnate yes, but drama lama? Are tibetan mountain goats really that dramatic?

I actually forgot to mention my slow cooker in post 41 when talking about favourite appliances. I don't think its the same thing to the slovak device you mention since it has no vents for steam on the top. Basically its a huge casserole dish with a glass lid that sits in a heated insert that you plug in.

its awesome for stuff like chilly konkani, curry or spag bol, as well as really good for roast gammon or roast beef

Just chuck stuff in and leave for around six hours or so, occasionally pulling the top off to give a bit of a stir, ---- not sure if you could cook lama in it though big_smile.

2018-05-13 13:16:32

So Dark, how is education in the Pacific or Atlantic, is it good? Which ocean is better to live in for education? I was thinking more of the Atlantic sense they know so much about technology, but I'm not sure.

TWITCH

2018-05-13 13:54:15

I'm surprised no one's mentioned North Korea as a viable place to move to. I mean, I've never heard anything about them mistreating blind people especially, have you?

2018-05-13 13:56:12

No, no mistreatment of blind people at all, they hate everyone equally.

TWITCH

2018-05-13 18:15:50

I don't know if they still make them, but convection ovens are nice, and they have ones with dials. I prefer to use things with buttons rather than dials, as I like technology and don't want to feel like I'm living in the past, but I can definitely see the appeal of turning one to an appropriate thing, whacking up the timer one and away she goes. The convection ovens I've seen did have a dial. It was like this cylingrically shaped contraption, no where near the size of a real oven, probably with a volume close to that of a toaster oven if not bigger. They're nice because they're good on power, but don't leech out the taste like cooking in a microwave can. And, they're small enough to put it away when you're done, so you can cook in it, then put it under the cupboard.

If I'm understanding this right, a hob is a cooktop, stove top, burner, etc. So, why would you want a unit apart from that, or is that common over in the U.K. I honestly don't know. I guess my question is, what about this separate unit do you find makes it easier, or preferable to use over the one attached to your range. Here is the setup where I'm from, this is pretty common among houses and fairly common in apartments. You have a large unit, on the top, there are four burners of different sizes. The controls are usually on the back panel, but older units had their controls along the front, just under the top surface. Your oven is also in this unit, its a door on the front that you open, and you usually have two racks, and they are movable so that you can adjust their position. There are, for the lack of a better term, shelves on the sides of the oven, just enough to let you mount the rack. So the knobs for the stove might be on that back panel, but the controls for the oven will too. A lot of the ovens are controlled digitally now, which I can see might be a problem. I do have enough vision, and the display is kinda large on mine that I can use it. I did find though, that tap tap see would tell me the setting it was at. It does start at 350 and increment by 25, so anyone could set it, it beeps when you hit a button, so it is possible to use by a blind person if you put a bump dot on the bake button. You really only would need one on that, since the off button is right under it, and the up and down buttons are to the left of it. It will beep when pre-heating is done, and you can know if you successfully turned it off, because you will not only hear the beep, but you will hear the relay disengage in it.

So, back to my original question, why do you want a burner, if this is the correct translation of the term, 'hob' apart from your stove top ones, are your systems over there not accessible? If they had dials, they would be. Ours will catch into place on high, like it will click into this groove, so you will have tactile feedback, and none on the other side, so even though the knob will spin either way of off, its not a problem. Also, I've had a gas stove before, and it was usable as well, its knob turned only one way, and off was at the far end, and you got higher the more to the left you went. The far left was the igniter, it would engage the igniter when you did that, and you would then hear several clicks as it generated sparks until the whoosh of it catching, then you take it off ignite and put it on whatever setting. The only concern a blind person should have about using a gas stove, and its really only a, 'be ware of this', type issue, and not a, 'you shouldn't use a gas stove', type one is this. When you change your setting down, so you go from high to low, you do need to go slower with the dial. Electric ones will not care, but a gas one, that drastic a change in the fuel flow and it will go out. You will know its gone out because of two things. The low sort of roar will be gone, but this is less noticeable at lower settings, and you will smell the gas. At this point, if its just now started to smell to you, you can light the stove again, but if you think its been out for more than 30 seconds or so, I'd turn it off and open a window or something, let that gas vent out before resuming. Not because it would be enough to blow up your house or anything, just don't want to take a chance of carbon monoxide poisoning. My dad had it, I was actually away at camp at the time, the one I was talking about in the chat topic for this month, and he told me about it on the way back. It's not pleasant, and the way it messes with your mind and ability to concentrate, you may become so messed up, you forget you have a problem. One more advantage of a gas stove is cooking without power, since the only thingabout the actual stove top burner parts of it that uses power is the igniter, well you don't need it if you got matches lying around you can light it with.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-05-13 19:10:14

@Dark:

Yes but the problem with a slow cooker is your house smells of whatever you're cooking. It gets to you after a while really....unless of course it's something you hate smelling, so reason to get outta the house. Putting borscht in that thing works great for clearing out houses. Problem is the Polish people in my area all came over to share it. Not quite what I was aiming for smile

Nah I got drama llama from a game I used to play, it was their way of saying stop spitting your drama everyone you llama. I have a t-shirt that states, with a llama picture: Save your drama for a llama. I need another one though....

Cooking llama? Noooooo! I prefer fried alpaca or goat. Actually goat's cheese is great.

@48: Convection ovens are good too, I dug out the Remosca I mentioned and unfortunately I can't put a little four legged goat or llama in it, but I can throw a chicken in there or a turkey or something else. I'm open to food ideas. On that note, I've yet to eat kangaroo. I'm curiously optimistic. Wouldn't it just hop right out of the oven or slow cooker though? tongue

I have this love/hate thing with slow cookiers. On the one hand they are great. On the other.....they are too slow. It's like toasters. I'm pretty sure either I'm just paying attention more to it or it really is taking longer to toast bread and I need to clean it out or get a new one. On that note. Why. Why are internet enabled toasters a thing? I did read this tech support call where this guy hooked his toaster up to his machine and was saying it wouldn't print, then saying the big gray toaster didn't take the bread too well. The tech put him on hold for several minutes to laugh  and the guy saw the funny side of it. Tech support has him down as 'the toaster guy' in their system.

Also on Linux natively

2018-05-15 11:25:45 (edited by the_ruler_of_dark_forces 2018-05-15 15:11:16)

Posting this might not be a good idea, but as this topic is going quite off topic anyway...
The previous post, made by a spambot, just in case someone didn't recognise, reminded me of scigen.
Here you can find more information about it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCIgen
And here's the tool itself:
https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/archive/scigen/
I have checked it a couple of times and the generated papers sound quite hilarious.