2018-03-30 02:55:55

Quick question.. Does anybody plays this game with nvda?
How can I make it so nvda stops saying scrambled letters before giving me the game's message?

2018-03-30 03:03:09

turn off ASCII in the game options. 3, then 2. You'll always get some on the start screen though, but what ever it's not bad.

2018-03-30 05:43:57 (edited by defender 2018-04-07 16:08:16)

So I'm not expecting this to happen any time soon, but I just had a brainstorm and decided to share for later reference.

Reworked pest system

Their should be rare thrownroom encounters where a section of population from one of your lands asks you to overthrow  the lord ruling them for what ever reason (a coalition of merchants being denied a monopoly or prefered trade status and promising you yearly kickbacks if you help them, a proto union of peasants  coming to tell  you that they're being starved do to unfare and predatory practices, misuse of kingdom funds for the lord's  personal enjoyment, a gorilla movement by a widely unpopular minority who need your support to not be wiped out, a well entrenched  criminal element offering to give you a large amount of money up front if you let them expand their enterprise, a rival nobal family from another land wanting to take over  that one in order to consolidate power and blackmailing you with threats of public slander, ETC) with each one having a percentage of base popular support among the citizens of the land involved and modified by what type of king you are.
You can then have the option to quietly refuse and cover it up, refuse and jail or kill the representatives, or, you could publicly remove the lord from power, use diplomatic backchannels to negociate, bribe, or blackmail the lord to step down depending on what the issue was, or assassinate the lord (these options will have their own added risks and bennifits as well)

E.G. jailing or killing the criminal group will earn you  a good bit of popularity with your citizens, but if your a bandit king than it could hurt your relationship with the bandits especially if you kill them.
If, however, you assassinate the lord on behest of the criminals, than you would get a small chance of people finding out by them selves, and if they did you would get a large hit to popularity; Plus if your popularity was already low, than the land would break away, taking a portion of your army and money with it (1 12th if you have 12 lands for instance, including top tier units and peasants as well) and start harvesting crops, converting some peasants into soldiers, running n information campaign against you to lower your popularity every turn, and recruiting more units from your side much like the rebels, but using the soldiers for defense rather than attack.
Another example: You refuse, jail, or kill the representatives from the blackmailing nobal family, and so they make stuff up about you and spread it far and wide. If your popularity is high, they won't get anywhere, especially if you just refused rather than killing them, but if it's low than you'll lose popularity and if it's low enough, they'll break off, take their portion of your money and units, then start actively taking over your mines for money and forts to produce units, hiring as many soldiers as they can as fast as they can from factions not allied or at war with you as long as they aren't zenophobic races, putting their peasants to work harvesting, and threaten, or assassinate members of your  staff to get rid of them, then after they've built up, actively invading your lands.
Now lets say you piss off the gorillas, well you won't lose any popularity since noone likes them, in fact you'll actually earn some if you refuse, jail or kill them, sequentially more for each option, and they won't take any land, but they will start nawing at the edges, attacking your trade rutes, burning your crops, raiding outlieing peasant  villages much like the pests do already but it will lose you popularity do to fear as well, ambushing patrols of your soldiers, and staging hit and run raids with small groups of highly trained fighters on the guards posted at any sources of income within the lands closely boardering you (the blackmarket, forts, and mines) widdling them down for others to step in, and also setting boobytraps at the entertainment sources like the brawling pit, theater, dragonblood tavern ETC, which will lose you allot of money for that year do to paitrins being scared to come their.
For the mistreated farmers, you'd obviously lose popularity especially if you killed them, and they could have a 50 50 chance of overwhelming the lord with numbers. If they succeed, than they would break off (taking a quarter of your peasants regardless of how much land you have but none of your soldiers) then do the following; slowly recruit more of your peasants to their side (not only the main population but also miners and those from the north, blackmarket, and villages if you rule them) set up an underground railroad and start smuggling slaves out in groups if you have them (converting them into peasants) build heavy defenses and have a malisha to keep you out, and sell higher quality crops at lower prices than you which would sometimes get you no money from harvest that year.

So basically, think of what the newly installed government would do to screw with you the most based on their goals and what kind of people they have at their disposal, and that's what they should do.

2018-03-30 12:34:58

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 0
Thats an example of what appears in my screen when most text comes, no matter if ansi is turned on or off.

2018-03-30 14:10:21

@Caio:
Turn off character echo (nvda+2).

2018-03-31 12:24:51

An additional note or suggestion for the boss types. Some could be without story, but for some of them, a background story would be interesting. for example in quests or in the future even on expeditions. That could be interesting if you're able to watch quests and expeditions going on. And that could even connect onto my earlier suggestion, were you have to explore myths and legends in some quests or the like.

2018-03-31 14:23:27

Hello,

Things are still going well so far, the boogiemen have taken some territory from a neighbor but they are also in really bad shape as when they did they took a heavy hit to their army.

Also, I have heard a good thing for me to do is build up the knightly order and turn knights into recruiters, could someone explain why?

2018-04-04 07:56:09

a Suggestion: swamps would be cool Areas as well in the game. They could be interesting for Exploration and there could be Special creatures who only live in the swamps. Just if it is not already in the game.

2018-04-04 15:59:42

Hello,

bit of a strategy issue that has brought up a few questions.

1. I've run short of peasants, what is a good way to get more besides  simply buying them? I have an enormous number of soldiers and I have a respectable number of knights too so I won't be taking too much of a hit if I slow down recruiting for them.
2. for a time, I was for some reason being attacked by groups and I never had a chance to defend myself, they just came in, killed a bunch of peasants without a battle and took some money. Why did that happen, I had both a defensive and offensive battle on those turns, can you only defend yourself once? I also however was invading rebel territory so did invasion have something to do with it?

3. also, the strongest thing I can field is about a 185 unit. Wastelander told me that you can't really overwhelm creatures above a certain power level with numbers alone after a point, what would you say that number is? There's a faction I'm fighting where their peasants are about as strong as my soldiers, their soldiers are about as strong as my knights, and they have knights at power level 658. However, I outnumber them 40:1, though I also  control 7x more lands than they do, or maybe 6 but anyway I don't have as much defense as I can bring in offense to them. What advice would you give me? to deal with them. They're savages so diplomacy isn't an option.

2018-04-06 07:32:26

Hmm, unfortunately I can't offer any tipps or tricks here, since I haven't gotten so far in the game yet or I hadn't had this situation.

2018-04-06 08:06:14 (edited by defender 2018-04-07 16:03:34)

1. You can turn off enlistment in laws and you'll stop converting peasants to soldiers each turn, start rehabilitation in the prisons, also you can buy slaves from the fort in the north for cheaper than normal peasants, allow Goblin slavery and allow the scourge if you've got the cash to burn, recruit from the villages and Blackmarket, ETC.

2. Those are pest groups, they break off sometimes and you can take them out just like bandits, but if you leave them they'll kill your peasants. They should show up in the attack list near the bottom.

3. Those top tier guys are still much weaker than demons, also you may be able to get some better battle score via careful selection of mercenaries which you can provide with your own soldiers to be trained up, or by buying units from other factions if any of them are decent, though expect only to get the mid tier guys, and you can also hire a maximum of five champions, which as far as I know go up to 30000 max battle score, but that's extremely rare with around 16 to 22  being more common, so just aim as high as time allows.
I would personally go for a five to one ratio in terms of troops if they were knights, less if they were better, and that's probably overkill when using buffs.
Upgrading your armory and mercenary outpost helps too.
Either way, I'd just go buy a bunch of blu Trii from the farm in the west and use it before each battle.

2018-04-07 12:05:18

@defender, that pest idea is an interesting one for sure, I really want to introduce divisions of power at some point, where the player isn't 100% ruler of Aslona but the King over a bunch of power holding lords, so for example, the arena could be owned by a powerful family within Aslona who are one of your main noble houses, they may brown nose you, they may try to undermine you, but you could declare them outlaws and seize the arena, but you can bet they would use all connections and gold to fight you so if you as a king went and outlawed all houses, you would soon find yourself alone facing the entire kingdom.

@Niklas, could be interesting for these boss types to be special arena units, where you can pit a champion to fight them

@bookrage, building a knightly order depends on your goals but you can create an order with one of several purposes which they will then do, be it to protect your land, fight rebels and so on, it's creating a special mini-faction who will exist soley to fulfill a purpose you give them, as for recruiters, it's turning knights into recruiters means they travel around each turn convincing people to join you, it's good cause it's free troops

@Niklas, there is a swampy area far in the west but it's not finished yet, I have some decent plans through

@Bookrage, good way to get peasants is by declaring forceful enlistment as a law, taking peasants instead of soldiers each turn, and another is by visiting villages like rihmm and smallhaven and recruiting from them each year, stuff like that, closing down the militia also allows for more peasants each year if you have forceful enlistment enabled

As for the killing peasants and taking money, it shouldn't happen without a battle unless it's a pest group, ie a bandit group formed just to fight you, they are internal so it's a little different

Can't remember that but there must have been a mix up, I was saying that you can always overwealm with larger numbers, the only difference being demons and koova the nomad who ignore the compound number of troop bonus you get in combat

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0
Itch.io Version of Warsim (0.7) - https://huw2k8.itch.io/warsim

2018-04-07 16:06:09

Yeah that's pretty much what I was hoping for as well to be honest, LOL.

2018-04-07 18:16:47

Hey, just a couple more questions then.

I haven't had issues with demons yet, but since they are coming... what should I do about them?

I've found some things like demon totem poles in the south and demon worshippers here and there but wasn't sure what to do. I had the option to for example, destroy the totem pole or attack the worshippers, but wasn't sure whether that would make things better or worse. As in I wasn't sure if damaging their structures or hurting their worshippers would cause the demons to get to me faster or slower or more aggressively.

2018-04-07 19:58:56 (edited by Niklas 2018-04-07 19:59:57)

Cool idea with the family lords thing. That may be a good source for even more content, since there's potential for some cool and intreaguing stories and happenings, maybe even in the throne room or while exploration.

2018-04-10 07:37:31

BTW: If I update the game to the latest Version, wich files or Folders do I have to copy if I want to have my saved game back?

2018-04-10 11:09:25

@Defender, awesome, it won't be an easy task to implement but it will be a gamechanger!

@bookrage, the demons will hate you no matter what you do, if you wish to strike first then explore far south and basically attack everything except the nomads, no matter what you do it will still be tough but removing some of the demonic support before they arrive will definitely help

@Niklas, just the saves folder smile

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0

2018-04-12 07:29:10

ah cool, thanks

2018-04-12 07:31:57

Hoping back into this to ask if there's any plans for a Linux version on Steam still, or if there is one and I missed it

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2018-04-17 10:03:57

hi.
wow waistlander, i always thaught the console games are not worth for playing, but warsim totaly changed my mind! Keep up the good work.
bye the way is there a way to play a diffrent race?

and er, i dont know anyone suggested this but, you can add some natural disaster such as earthquakes, fluds, tornados,
also maybe assasination attempts against you time to time or what ever.
but ciriusly, i loved this game.

2018-04-17 10:23:14

Hi Omer, thanks for the kind comment, currently you can only play as humans or demonic humans but there are plans for the future as different races

As for natural disasters they can happen, it's just rare smile

2018-04-17 13:20:58

uh, demonic humans, how do i do that,

2018-04-17 19:39:57

Really they can?
I've never seen anything like an ice storm from the north lowering your crop yields or a sand storm from the south making it impossible to attack another faction or flooding killing peasants or anything?
Nor any earthquakes or wildfires.
Frankly I'm kinda surprised about that actually, not only that their isn't but that I never thought about it before this LOL.

2018-04-18 11:35:17

@omer, it's one of the random starts, you can begin as a servant of the demon lord, you can cheat and force it by starting a new game and when the game says "you are invited to the royal crowning ceremony" instead of pressing 1 or 0 enter 556 to auto start as demonic king

@defender, I don't have all those ideas but there are rare chances that random severe natural disasters will happen, they have a chance of wiping out some population or having no fatalities but ruining one of your lands but they are very rare

2018-04-19 16:00:02

wow, didnt know that, thanks