2018-04-12 18:34:05

even though i have only seen that very very limited demo myself, nothing else has been played by me what so ever, i think the combat is too easy just listen press, listen, press. yes, timeing is key but it just seems so easy. i wonder if the developers can shed some more light on the game as it progresses? i, too, thought it would be moving around to fight them not just standing there swinging left right and middle

2018-04-12 21:10:48

@Nick that is actually an interesting point that you make. I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a story and maybe some reassurance for you. Some games have done this in the past on consoles, not too many, but a few. However, if something like this was to happen, it won't last long, it'll be quick enough that you should be able to get through that beginning section. The only example I can really think of, is a mainstream game called Heavenly Sword.
In Heavenly Sword on the ps3, the first time you boot it up, and this is quite literally only the first time, you are presented with a special scene. This then leads into a sequence that lasts around a minute, letting you play at the main character's full power, to allow for a bit of dramaticness, before creating your profile and then dropping you in the main menu. When you boot the game up again, it just drops you into the menu without doing this scene. Moments like this are quite special. Another moment was wii sports resort, which, the very very first time you boot up, takes you into the skydive minigame so it's like you are landing at the resort. It's more of a bit of fun to be honest, and nothing to worry about because once again, this little experience was very short and you didn't have to worry about it again.

2018-04-12 22:01:03

Hi.
Wow, thanks so much for the demonstration. I agree that the combat sounds too easy, but I expect that'll change later in the game. The game sounds really really awesome. Sounds like the music and other sounds are in mono, but I expect that'll change as well. I look very much forward to play this...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-04-12 22:58:24

Base combat like this once it's been established probably won't change. I stil say the fact that it's again the old hear and react approach is disappointing, with no free movement or possibility for strategy. Even timing doesn't sound very strict. But we will see, I suppose. It definitely sounds like an interesting premis, dull combat aside.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-04-13 01:12:33

sounds really sloppy tbh. I'll be avoiding this one

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2018-04-13 01:24:18

I like the game a lot, but it sounds very very similar to a blind legend. Even the  entire combat system is taken straight from that game.

2018-04-13 04:20:52

is the demo in the podcast available for us to download?

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2018-04-13 05:48:56

hi flame
this link
https://www.sendspace.com/file/5yxop1

2018-04-13 17:33:48

Hi
I've listened to the demo, the game sounds greatly awesome. The combat system Reminds me of A Blind Legend's one. But hey, why the ambience and music, along with some other sounds appear to be mono, while they sound stereo and binaural in the official trailer?

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2018-04-13 20:27:41

Hello Everybody,
I would like to thank William for his efforts making this podcast, that you can find also on our youtube channel at this link:

Echoes from Levia: Soulbound - Podcast By William

This prototype will not be released, because there are several things that aren't tuned properly, his main scope is to provide you guys a commented gameplay to give you the chance to get an idea of the mechanics.

The ambience music is mono because it doesn't come from a speaker in the game world (in this prototype still needs to be tuned down), and the cutscenes are stereo.
All the sounds produced during the gameplay (exploration and combat) are stereo binaural audio.

Enjoy!

Marco

ps. Yes, this enemy was really underpowered, the ones in the final release will be more challenging

ps2. As always, thanks for your feedbacks!

2018-04-13 20:50:08

Thanks for commenting! I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say the background music isn't in mono because it doesn't come from a speaker in the main world... why does that change the fact that it should be in stereo? I'm also still very much skeptical about the combat in this game... this is 2018, we should be developing combat systems with more complexity. To date, the most complex realtime combat we've found is in Japanese games and online fps games... everything else is hear and react, much like a bopit game.

2018-04-14 04:46:08

Okay so first of all, thank you William for doing that demo.
you did an absolutely amazing job.
Second yeah, the combat is a bit disappointing.
it is very reminiscent of a blind legend. Almost eerily so. lol
Besides that though, I absolutely love the game, or what I've heard of it at least. I love all the little cut scenes, the character development, it's amazing!!! yeah, some, of the voice acting could be a bit better, but over all very nicely done. Also, is there a feature in the game, to turn the music down? usually when I play the game, I like having the music in the background yes, but I'm so much more focused on the ambient noises, so just thought that might be a good feature to add, if hasn't been already.
All in all though, I absolutely love the game. Especially the cut scenes. They're what keep me engaged, what makes me feel involved. So keep up the good work.
Thanks again William, for doing the demo.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2018-04-14 07:41:00

That demonstration was cool! but I aggree that the combat system was like A blind legend but let's see what happens cause the developer said that it is a demo so...

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2018-04-14 09:11:38

was happy to help where i could. looking forward to the release myself. it was a very very small ship, but we obviously were travelling to the lands to explore so here's to a full length experience. shame no inventory though it seems that we just have to find and interact with objects as we come across them.

2018-04-14 11:09:23

Well, thanks William for the demonstration. I am dissapointed though as some of you stated before combat is pushing me away from this title. There's nothing interesting about it, no tactic, no strategy, no free movement and just hear and react which is so, so boring. We need games with realtime battles, where attacking, dodging, blocking would be something normal. Buying new moves, making combos for example would be also something We definitely need.

So yeah, if it will be overpriced (Something tells me it will be) I am stepping away from getting it and will wait for something more interesting, Galaxy Laboratory is about to release their new action rpg somewhere in this year and I know it's worth waiting. smile

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2018-04-14 12:33:05 (edited by sito 2018-04-14 12:34:29)

i got to agree with the last post. 24 euros is way overpriced in my opinion if there aren't no takticks and combat is so easy. Sounds and voice acting doesn't mean anything if the game doesn't contain that much besides exploring. if that's the case i will stay away from this title i'm afraid.

2018-04-14 13:49:17

Just look on A Hero's Call, a game which delivered me a lot of great hours with it and even if it's not perfect game it's just fantastic in terms of content and the price is definitely worth getting this one.
I don't want to sounds like a jerk so no offence but if We will just clone the things We have We're not going anywhere further. I've spend tons of hours playing video games and while I know it's hard to compare audio gaming market to the mainstream one doing something like this is not getting us nowhere and We will stay with copies of what We seen before.
Sorry to say that, but for me it's not really ambitious and this is why I am sticking so much with japanese audio games full of creativity, new ideas, fantastic content and gameplay. Maybe sound design there isn't that fantastic like in many triple A games but it's just a reason sound design is not that important if the gameplay is amazing. Numbers are saying everything: BK3: 230 hours total playing time, Shadow line is something over 100 hours. Remember, those games are totally free
and I am not saying I am not paying for games because I am. Supporting developers is something I will do if it's ambitious and worth it. Can you give me something close to the two examples I've used before? Probably the game will end after few hours and there will be nothing to get to it one more time.

Again, no offence, just my opinion based on what I saw before and what I am seeing still.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2018-04-14 15:17:02 (edited by Nick 2018-04-14 16:16:10)

I will enjoy this game when it's released but if there was a demo version I would be able to try the game to see what I like about the game but sadly I don't think that a demo version is available for me to download so I'll just have to buy the full game when it comes out.

2018-04-14 19:31:23

I agreed with
SilverMoon and the other as well. The kombat isn't exciting to me. AHC I can keep going back to play again and again.

Hearthstone Tag ID: RobotWizard#1265216

2018-04-15 00:46:38

Hello.

I must admit I do agree with those saying the games combat system is similar to A Blind ledgend. Although, I do think it's going to be a lot more fast pased compared to that game. I think I'll buy it because of the hours of dialog. I'm not a huge fan of the affect on Kiroths' voice, but I'm sure i'll get used to it.

I also get the feeling there will be some hart warming scenes between Seric and Kiroth. I could be wrong but either way; I think it's going to be an enjoyable game.

As for the demo, I don't think you can play it. I think it was just given to the person who made the podcast so that he can show off a little bit of the game.

I'm gone for real :)

2018-04-15 01:25:46

hello all,
Yeah Lirin I get you, the combat isn't exciting. Especially my knowing your game play style, I can see where you're going with that, along with the rest of you who has agreed with his assessment.
However, what I will say is, that what this game strives in, and what AHC lacked, are the little cut scenes.
The little character on character interactions. The things that honestly made me laugh, even if, it was just a demo.
don't get me wrong, I love AHC.
The dev is a dear dear friend of mine, and I would never, not want to give him, and the team their just desserts. I love that game. I truly do.
However, it is easy to say that AHC simply lacks in a lot of the cut scenes, and the character on character interaction.
Not saying they didn't have it, but it wasn't as much. That, and I find this game's humor just totally awesome. yes, Simeon is the comedic relief, but... this one just has more.
I personally, love exploring, love story driven games, more so than the combat. So if my purse is deep enough, I think I will purchase it.
Anyways, just my thoughts, thanks for reading.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2018-04-15 08:10:10

While combat is important, I agree with the last poster. For me, it's the story and characters that make a game, which is something a lot of audio games fall super, super short on. If I don't care about the characters, I'm not going to care about the game, and that is part of why, despite trying a couple of times, I haven't gotten into AHC, though it is an incredible, incredible game. I am eager to see where this game takes the story, and character interplay and will gladly put up with many shortcomings to see this, but I'm odd.

2018-04-15 08:24:03

Just a matter of perspectives, I suppose. I love character development, good interplay between all characters and story. But if the framework which the story is based on is not enjoyable, then I won't enjoy the story no matter how deep it is. Likeany medium. For me, if the base isn't there, then all the fluff in the world doesn't soften anything and make it more pleasant. Yu can have good sounds, story interactions and exploration... but if the gameplay driving all that content isn't enjoyable, non of that would matter. And for me, the cornerstone of an action adventure game which this is trying to be, is the combat. I'm not saying anyone else here is wrong, for the record... only that this is my opinion. Silvermoon and musicfairy have very good points too, and I would say the same thing if this game had a great combat engine but otherwise average to below average content. But I am willing to keep an open mind and try this game, whenever it comes out.

2018-04-15 10:14:35

flame_elchemist wrote:

I don't want the link to the podcast. i want a link to the playable demo.

OMG! Read post 110. big_smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-04-15 15:29:29

will the game require the dot net framework to be installed before the game can work properly?