2018-04-01 19:52:09

Welcome to this months monthly chat topic, ---- oh and no this is not an April fool's day joke or indeed an easter reference, hmmmm, wonder how many people got exploding eggs today?
My brother was most annoyed as my mum bought him a chocolate hashtag instead of an egg big_smile.

Anyway what is everyone up to?
For me I had a really awesome day yesterday. my russian friend and her husband visited from London. This is btw for anyone who hasn't heard me mention her before my friend who does viking reenactment, larps as a shield maiden, is a black belt in karate (not sure how many dan's she's got but more than a couple), and also does Krav maga, yes she's a little scary, albeit she's a lovely person who is really quite all around awesome.

Oh, and as per recent politics no I don't expect she's going to try to poison me big_smile.

This is the first time my lady's met her, which went really well, its just a shame we can't see them more often.

other than that not a lot to report apart from getting my gemcube hooked in again which means I get all the mega man games back. I was just getting completely slaughtered at mega man x which is quite depressing how well I did last time I played a few years ago big_smile.

Oh well there is always practice, plus knowing where all the heart tanks etc are helps.

I've already talked about what I'm reading in the bookworm thread so I won't repeat that, other than that hope everyone else is having a nice april so far and not looking too foolish.
Also happy easter to any christians celibrating today.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-01 20:32:07

Well, those who know me know what could happen today.

You can't connect the dots looking forward.  You can only connect them looking backwards.

2018-04-01 23:23:52

Thank gawd that March is finally over and gone! I don't think I've ever had such an awful month in my entire life, even losing my battle with glaucoma and losing my vision wasn't as bad as last month was.

Good riddance!

Now how's that for laughs, Easter Sunday and April Fools Day on the same day?

2018-04-02 14:33:31

Well, I read alot of things from this forum these days just as a guest from my old piece of crap with android, so, let me say, happy ister and a happy foolish day for yesterday, I will have ister next sunday so, I will have chocolate eggs probably to find.
Orko, howp things get better in april and your health will be verry good.
I will go in the UK on 6th of april and I will stay 11 days, I will celebrate ister here, so, what are the traditions here?
My mother just bought an eco dot, I will make an audio umboxing, a how to setup thing and an audio demo and I will share with you all.
So, howp april will be good for you all.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-04-05 15:28:06

Rofl, he put 2017 again.
Keep it up though, 2017 was a good year. :d.

2018-04-05 17:01:57

I was going to say the same thing, but tjt was more fast than me.

2018-04-05 18:28:20

It's always going to be 2017!  Always!  Never mind what month it is!  I knew I hated 2017 for a reason!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-04-06 20:23:06

Lol Mrs. Dark did say today that it seems we've been married for a long time, now I understand why big_smile.

Fortunately I can annoy the high council of gallifrey by editing time very easily and not needing to care if the universe implodes or not as a consequence, muahahahaha!

Well went to see my new singing teacher today since the old one retired. unfrotuantely since today was mainly assessment and chat I can't say what she's going to be like. My previous teacher was wonderful, albeit she was very tough and pushed me into doing more than    thought I could, this lady doesn't seem quite as extreme, but then again today was mainly just seeing  my voice was like.
One nice thing is that now we're in newark it'll be easier to get to lessons  we should be able to have them consistantly every couple of weeks which will be very good for focusing attention back on my singing and having me learn more music as indeed I need to do.

not unfortunately much else to report beyond more reading of the stand, which I'm finding good, if king's attitude towards women and female characters is mildly getting on my nurves, and more of my lady and I reading oathbringer.
Gaming wise I am not sure what to try next, though I like the fact the current crazy party release has restored capability of single element decks by the rule about having a hand with more cards of a given elemental type doing more damage in that type, though I do need to sit down and construct some other decks.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-04-11 12:03:27 (edited by MasterChief 2018-04-11 12:11:35)

Hi all,
Well, as for me, I started my month by going to the Emirate of Dubai for a couple days.
It was really fun, I needed a fresh air away from everything and I got it smile.
The weather there was nice also, you'd expect it to be sunny by now in a place like Dubai, but in fact it was windy and nice.
Of course I did some shopping there, telling you it was from the Dubai mall you can guess how much I spent on average, lol.
Before I went there though I wanted to download episode 3 of shadowhunters and I did, my plan is to watch it in the airplane, but it didn't go well for me.
When I arrived to the airport they had to delay my flight for technical reasons, they have replaced the Airbus A380 with a Boeing 777.
I had to wait for 3 hours, givin that I have arrived even more than 2 hours before the departure of my flight, waiting for 3 more hours is way more than too much for me.
So, when I boarded the airplane finally I just needed to sit down and relax not doing anything, and time went by and I didn't watch the episode.
I remembered that I didn't watch it only when I came back home, so I thought I can wait to the next episode to show up on netflix and I watch the 2 episodes together, and this is what I have done before writing this post.
For now, I am honestly not sure what should I do next.
I have a list of things to do but I don't know where to start, lol.
I have altered carbon, I need to finish the 3 remaining episodes.
I have the book called The Black Prism it's from the Lightbringer series, I need to finish that as well.
I also need to finish the way of kings, The Final Empire and The Complete Essays by Michel de Montaigne .
Knowing that final exams are coming, some of those have to wait, but still I need something to keep me busy

2018-04-11 20:55:50

Well, other than having to undress in front of a woman, then lay down and moon her, that was a whole lot of nothing to write home about.

The only thing I could *really* feel is when they inserted the ultrasound probe. I had to focus to feel the anesthetic needles, and all I could sense from
the biopsy gun was the pop it makes when it takes a sample. They took 12 samples.

In a week, I go back to learn the result, so I get to live a week in suspense!

2018-04-12 10:30:39

youwill really like the lightbringer books. i did read them on graphic audio. basically they have acters for evrey person+sounds for when things happen. i haven't heard someone reading the book though without any sounds or something but the books are amazing

2018-04-12 11:50:38

First things first. To those who said that 2017 is great. Come on. 2017 was a bad year for me. I don't even want to think back to it. I've been struggle through lots of suffering in 2017. Since 2017 has began, I've lost my father at the beginning of the January. This is ridiculous! If 2017 doesn't exist, my father would be hear. Anyway, it's a story of me in 2017. And if I ever hear any of you guys on this forum say that "2017 was a great year for me bla bla bla," I'm gonna kill you big_smile .

Now, back to the story for April 2018. Lately, I just got a small vacation for celebrating Khmer New Year. And right now, I'm just visited some friends, just to have some drinks in their house. so yeah, party time! I think that's it for my April. Will chilling hear in a bit. If I got any news, I'm sure will bring it hear to discuss with you guys. Because people in this forum are awesome!

2018-04-14 11:39:47

@orko sorry to hear about the embarrassing medical issues and tention, hope everything works out.

~Master chief, Sanderson's stuff is generally very good. My lady and I are still finishing off oathbringer (we've got about twelve hours to go after being up all night last night. I'm not one of these people who thinks Sanderson is god and everything he's written is automatically awesome because he's written it, but stormlight is definitely his best series imho, though my God I thought it couldn't get any grimmer and now oathbringer is going positively martinesque big_smile.

I've heard good things about the lightbringer books (are those the brent weeks ones?), albeit I'll probably give fantasy a rest after finishing this one, not to mention The Stand.
Speaking of which my review of the third jack vance Cadwal chronicles novel is up you can read it here needless to say I did not! like the way the series ended, a really terrible, terrible way to finish a trilogy, but I'll not repeat what I said in the review.

unfortunately I've stupid amounts of work to do for the epilogue of my thesis at the moment so things aren't very fun, other than aforesaid sanderson stuffage and a rather nice harp concert coming up next week, one reason I'm still not majorly doing any serious games related stuff other than the odd quick blast at the likes of crazy party or huboodle.

2018-04-17 12:04:38

yeh, that's the brent weeks books

2018-04-18 11:29:20

Hi there, so, I am back after 11 days in UK, a greate experience, I realized one of my dreams, going to the barier from Harry Potter and doing some pictures here with the Grifindore thing on the nek.
I received my eco dot too and when I was there it was impossible for it to play music, even with a prime ackount, but in Romania works perfectly, with setings for US.
So, what are you doing now, or what did you recently and was a good experience for you?

2018-04-18 11:54:11

@Sito I've heard good things about those, though I'd rather not start another series at the second since I've got several on the go at the moment and want to finish some of what we have.

@Angel glad you liked Britain, I'd be interested to know where you went and what you saw. Sort of funny to think that you were just an hour on the train from where I am if you were at Kings cross.
Oh and yes the barrier and the trolley half way into the wall is really quite cool, I've seen it myself.

The thing I really rather like as well are the free publically usable pianos at St. Pancras, definitely a nice thing to have at a station, plus people seemed to appreciate my les miserables (one of the few things I can actually play since while I'm an okay tenor I'm a pretty crummy pianist).

Well i finished the stand and will do a review if I can, though I've got lots of work for my thesis to get through at the moment, which is again why I'm not gaming right now as much as I might be, though last night we did take a break to go and see the nottingham chamber orchetstra complete with guest pianist. They did Mozart's flute and harp concerto, which is one of my favourite mozart pieces, ----- actually I'm not a major Mozart fan much of the time (too mathematical and not enough emotion), but I do enjoy the musical dialogue of that concerto.
they did two awesome dances by Debussy entitled dance sacre and dance profane" which were written for a chromatic harp and were absolutely gorgeous, indeed I might try and pick those up.
The last things were some medeival heirs by Respighi and Shubert's fifth symphany, both of which were played well though I admit I'm far less keen on Shubert's orchestral stuff than his song cycles.

So a nice night all around, albeit I do wish the bloody conductor would announce which piece is being played. Why people still! in this day and age think they can have orchestral concerts and not bother talking to the audience I don't know.

Either way not a lot on for today other than more work and hopefully reviewing The Stand if I can get around to it.

I finished Doom coalition the latest of the eighth doctor audios from big finish which was actually surprisingly good, particularly since the eleven is I think one of my favourite new antagonists. The idea of a psychotic time lord who's eleven regenerations all have insane personalties and who are continually trying to take over is an amazingly nasty one, and he's played so well.

I've also started the next and latest eighth doctor set, Ravenous which is a good idea, albeit I really don't get what they're doing with the candy man.
He was in one of my favourite seventh doctor Tv adventures, and was pretty awesome, since who can't love the idea of a murderous android made out of sweets who drowns people in syrup and makes sweets that overload the pleasure centers of the brain and kill people. Oddly enough though they have a completely different actor, he's entirely human looking now, and while he still makes sweets he's now trying to mind control a population and is much more the sort of behind the scenes political manipulator.

I'm a bit disappointed, I prefered him as a colourful psycho, and really when we've already got a story with the eleven and just finished one with insane timelords trying to distroy the entire universe to prevent gallifrey being exploderated in the time war why the hell do we nee need yet another! political puppet master character.
Hopefully he'll go a little more psychotic as time goes on.

Anyway thats what is happening with me at the moment, hope everyone else is doing okay.

2018-04-18 12:04:35

Yes Dark, I was at Kings cross and I liked it, my mother stays something like an hour or one and a half, it depends on the traphic.
I saw the palace with the qwin and it was interessting.
I will tell you more later cause now I am in a hurry and I am in school, so, I will go home in something like 2 hours and I will tell you more and I will make a demo on how to setup Alexa and certain things about that.

2018-04-18 13:23:55

Hey to everyone.
So, let's see here, some new things to report.
April has been pretty much eventless so far, I have started training again after a week of easter hollydays which were filled with family gatherings, meeting friends, extended horseback rides through the cuntryside, playing computer games and so on, to sum it up, I had a pretty good time.
What happened though is that well, we can welcome a new kid in town, no, not a human baby, on April 11, somewhere in the early morning hours, the horse of a friend of mine got her foal after 11 months, she is a thurroghbread arabian, currently standing at, I think about 80 centimetres, when she is grown, she will be at about 1.47 or 1.49, somewhere in that region, but we don't know yet, actually was quite happy that at birth everything went fine, hadn't got any sleep that night xD.
Else, I starded watching game of thrones and am almost finished with the first season, so far, I am really liking it, I will possibly read the books one day, I have them around.
That much from me so far.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-04-19 09:25:57

Hay Simba my lady would be most jealous of you getting to cuddle a foal, then again she'd be most jealous of all the horsey stuff as she loves horses, but the foal I think particularly.
I've never actually seen a foal, though I have run into a few larger horses, albeit not sinse my wedding and we had the two gigantic black ones that pulled our coach.

Glad you liked London Angel. Being less of a fan of the royals I've not been around the palace, though I did enjoy the tower of London. Did you go to madame tussauds? That was surprisingly awesome and is somewhere I'd love to take my lady since you can touch most of the wax works I was quite amused that how tiny the Duke of Wellington was and how giant Beethoven's hands were big_smile.

I'm pleased to say I have just fnished my review of the Stand. I was glad to get this one done since as is usual there are loads of really short, one notte "this is the best book evaaaaar!" or "this is the worst book evaaaaar!" type of reviews kicking around that only focused on one thing or the other.

As usual while I really enjoyed the Stand, it had its issues, so I wanted to do a balanced review, or at least a semi balanced review, plus add a bit of woffle about heroes and christian stories and why the ending of the Stand actually works big_smile.

Either way hopefully the webmaster of atnasybookreview.co.uk will get it up soon.

Not a lot on for today other than more work on my bloody stupid thesis on disability, and on the up sidee a trot out to a most wonderful Italian cafe for lunch who have promised to make Mrs. Dark a decent tortellini, somethig she's been looking for ever since she first arived in Britain.

So not much to report sadly, still I hope everyone is having a slightly funner April than I am.

Btw chrome's spellcheck actually recognizes the word "funner?" wow! well I suppose it is a perfectly cromulent word. ----
youch! Chrome also recognizes the word cromulent, that is vaguely scary, one wonders what is happening to the contrafibularities of English these days big_smile.

2018-04-19 10:13:41

Hi.
Hurm, sounds like it's quite hard to get good italian food around the arria where you two are living, I hope, love and harmony xd.
There is this small Pizza and Pasta place right at the main streets which leads up to the office. It's not big, when you walk in you just have some chairs, and a counter. But, it mighht be a bit more expensive, but you can't say that you don't get the darn best Pizza in the whole of the city, this guy just knows how he has to prepare the dishes.
I am currently searching for a book to read, I am reading a lot of indi authors because these mostly have the best stories in my opinion, but it's quite hard to find stories I like, best thing is to look around the kindle store to check around some books to see if i might like them or not..
And well, if they grow up, foals are a bit like overgrown puppys, depends a bit on how they approach things and how much nonsense they are planning out xd.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-04-19 12:51:10 (edited by Orko 2018-04-19 13:18:02)

Well, you can rest easy, Dark, in that somebody is having a worse April than you are.

First the medical news.

Out of the 12 cores they took, they found cancer in two of them, but it is such a low grade, slow growing cancer that the doctor said that I'm more likely to die from natural causes or old age, than from this cancer. Still they are recommending an aggressive monitoring protocol. This means that every three months I get a PSA blood test, and every 18 months, I get another prostate biopsy, just to keep an eye on it.

Some good news to go with the bad, I can live with that.

Now for the sad news.

On the 11th, we lost my youngest sister, she was found in bed on the 12th and had been dead for at least ten hours. The first responders and the medical examiner couldn't determine the cause of death so a toxicology report is being done, that takes six to eight weeks. I believe that after several failed attempts, she finally succeeded in taking her own life. Like me, she was sexually abused when we were kids 40 plus years ago. While I do occasionally have my moments when Dark has to post a moderation message, I have, for the most part, gotten over it, but my sister never could, and has mental health issues because of it. The silver lining in all this is that at least now she is in a better place and free of her demons.

2018-04-19 13:34:07

Ouch, sorry to hear about that Orko. I do hope things start looking up for you soon.

2018-04-19 18:41:56

Well, again a sad month for you Orko, howp the Mai will be better for you.

2018-04-22 10:49:15

@Orko really sorry to hear about your sister. As you know I'm in a position to understand that sort of thing, or at least to an extent. Unfortunately it has a nasty habbit of coming back at the times you least want it to which isn't helpful.

I'm glad your cansa results weren't too bad though.
@Simba yeah that makes sense. I'd love to see a foal though. I'm quite familiar with puppies (and dogs tend to like me), but I don't think I've ever actually met a foal.
As to the Italian it's not so much that there aren't decent Italian cafes and restaurants around here, or indeed that there weren't in Durham where we were living previously, its more that for some odd reason tortellini isn't something they do as often and its one pasta my lady is very fond of.

Fortunately the wonderfully named pastability, the local place I mentioned actually made a tortellini special for us which was amazingly kind (and a most yummy tortellini it was). They also do lovely gnocchi, very good gelato  and I'm quite looking forward to sampling their other dishes.

That actually should go at least partly to helping with my stupid thesis, though fortunately I have had an extention until June which was helpful given I've had issues with this one. I really! wish they'd just give me the sodding phd I've worked for.
Anyway that is why I'm doing less by way of games related things at the moment since I don't really have the time or energy to concentrate on something major like A hero's call or even Swamp with its latest update, heck even my voice is suffering given how badly I did on friday at my singing lesson.

2018-04-25 14:32:38

wel. as for me ikeep on reading the wheel of times and studdy.
@dark i do got to agree with you so far. the serie is becoming abit bad because of all the skeeming. skeeming is fine and all but when friends starts skeeming tord each other and especially the sisters skeeming against those who helps them it gets very boring and very frustrating lol. i do feel sympathy for mat lol