2018-03-25 02:21:10

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has tried Codecademy? I'm trying to use it on macOS, and we appear not to be able to actually change anything in the editor. Keep in mind I'm using Safari now, but I'm on the introduction course for this browser editor, and they simply want me to modify code.

The edit box is blank, with the actual code and line numbers under the edit box, as far as screen readers are concerned.
If this site's a no-go, is there an accessible site like it? I like the idea of lessons and structured learning this provides, but is pretty inaccessible on macOS sad

2018-03-25 02:28:46

It is accessible, at least on Windows and Android, fuck apple BTW. Oh, and it is like Duolingo. Lots of stuff but it is not a systematic learning system, keep that in mind.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-03-25 05:03:16

Well, just tried it on Windows, same result with this exercise. Hmm.

2018-03-25 18:25:12

Oh, something changed, then. I will check it later today and report.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-03-25 22:57:29

Gee, I don't know, but Fuck Nuno69 BTW.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-25 23:02:32

Orin,

CodeAcademy is ...usable, but not accessible. The code you see outside the editor, is actually INSIDE the editor but screen readers don't see it. What you do is focus on the editor, copy its content (even though it appears there's nothing there), paste it somewhere like TextEdit or another text editor, make your mods and then copy-paste it back.
It is a bit of a drag but can be done.

2018-03-26 05:14:40

All these sites seem on the just usable side sad Codecademy, Treehouse, the works. Haven't tried Udomi or whatever it is yet.

2018-03-26 06:47:15

And others show things like no spaces where there should be spaces in the code, etc. to the screen reader. I wanted a good around one for trying to learn C#, I either find ones that I can't use, or ones that I can but want me to make universal app games which I don't want to do, or ones that teach WPF with C# and XAML, but want you to do like images and stuff. Like, no, that's not what I want. I want to learn the code, learn how to create and use classes, which is a struggle for me. I want to learn how to then use the designer, which I kind of can right now, but I need to learn how that all fits together code wise, like, when you put a textbox and a button on a form, how to make the button interact somehow with the text in the box, a simple example would be to pop up a box that says you typed bosom. Also a little off topic, but its 12:45AM Or, if you live most other places in the world other than murica land who for some damn reason still tend to stick to using imperial  units of measure, even metric is a fuck ton easier math wise, but people are sheep and sheep chew their cud and well, giraffe? and I'm slipping into loopy mode here laying in bed cogitating the possibilities of my existence.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-26 19:04:54

@Ironcross32 I thought you were all into Python. Now it's C#? What sparked the change?

2018-03-26 22:04:30

Oh nothing really, just playing around, C# I have used in the past, truth is I'm pretty shit at coding and I just want to see if there is something I can learn.

End racism
End division
Become united