2018-03-23 21:09:40

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1izDQU … m4yw0fXTg4

Controls are simple, you use the directional keys to move around, z to interact and x to cancel. The noise you as you approach objects is a proximity detector; the louder it is, the closer you are to a wall. I'll be adding updates in the next few days to clean up things a bit. The link is also on Gamejolt but I made a few small changes on this one, plus it defaults to the blind mode being turned on.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2018-03-24 02:43:04

This is much more playable than the previous versions of colors.
Their are a few minor bugs like the music not being able to be adjusted after a battle, and the battle music being just a little to loud, however I'm not sure if that's because I somehow went into a house as I was being sucked into a battle or not.
I like that I can adjust the volume of the object tones independently of other sounds as well.
Still not quite sure on how this battle system is supposed to work fully yet, but their is promise, especially as I can now have a battle and know what's going on, though their are way to many blank lines of text in between each action.
Also, does the info layout setting change what keys are used to provide stat info?
I couldn't get either the stats option in the battle menu or the number keys to work, but maybe I'm not doing something correctly.
Still, if this is a pre alpha, I can't wait to see what an alpha, or even a beta, is going to be like.
And, just because I'm curious, is this still in game maker, or some other environment?
Later!

2018-03-24 05:15:30

The info keys are in a different layout depending on which option you choose in the menu. The default layout uses Q W E R T Y at first, the others represent different layouts such as using numbers or num pad. Should just read you something like "27 phys guard".

The battle music was thrown in last minute so it's definitely not finalized...

The battle system has been much more refined. It's simpler. Really all you need to do is focus on the stat boosts and active abilities. No tutorials built out yet so it's still confusing. Basically since colors have 3 parts, and each part can be high or low, so can the stat boosts. And high or low correlates with a specific boost. You'll be able to see the actual boost values in the stat menu. This should work in the game already.

It's still in game maker. Engine is much better built than before. GM has some oddities I like about it

2018-03-24 07:12:16

OK, is time to try this new update of colors, after various monts of the last time that i've tried it. 
Thanks for the update tongue

2018-12-02 17:31:43

Hi:

Just finished playing around with the demo. Is any further work being done on this game? I don't think anyone has done anything like this  before .... but I could be wrong.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2018-12-02 17:41:50

Hey there,

Yeah I'm still working on the game. And I do want it to still be accessible to the blind.

I am hoping I can get a new release out by the end of the year but I can't count on it just because my job takes a lot of my time and energy away. I'm currently thinking about taking some of the visual work (yeah, the stuff you guys dont' care about but everyone else) to a 3rd party but I need to figure out what my budget will have to be for that.

I've decided though to stop marketing it as a blind game. Both the media and the average gamer thinks that a game that blind people can play is a game for blind people, not a game for everyone. But I still am making sure that things are blind accessible, so I will be posting updates here as they come. It's just that I only work on the project for maybe a weekend or two at a time because my current job is a lot more demanding than previous ones.

Thanks for continuing to play, I really appreciate it.

2018-12-02 18:12:19

@Daigonite:

Keep up the good work, was really impressed with the demos. I have a full-time job, so I know how that can cramp anyone's schedule. The marketing switch makes sense, it's sad to say. Even marketing  as an accessible game might have the same stigma attached to it. When many people hear "accessible game" it seems to translate as "game for the disabled." This is a pet peeve of mine, so I'll try not to rant, but accessible means that anyone, sighted or not, can use a game or app. I can see that this is the idea you're promoting buy creating this game. Again, keepup the good work, and I would gladly pay for any product you  release.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

2018-12-02 19:46:04

@tayo.bethel
Seconded! That's how exactly I want to word it man!
Haven't yet tried the latest update, but always impressed with it so far. Keep up the good work. But remember, your health and happiness comes first. Don't push it.:)

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2018-12-05 00:23:30

this game sounds cool, though I hadn't heard of it until recently, however the game does not seem to be screenreader accessable to me the sounds all work but nothing works in terms of telling me anything, is there a setup task I have missed? thansk

don't look back, cause you'll loose the road ahead.

2018-12-05 02:27:56

Hi"

The game works with Sapi5. If you didn't download the latest demo on this site, which has accessibility already enabled, change access in the config file from 0t o 1, or from false to true, depending on which demo you're using.

Guy Gavriel Kay

2019-03-27 00:43:38 (edited by daigonite 2019-03-27 00:46:18)

Hey there everyone.

So I wanted to give an update

I was working on the next release which had a lot more content, and then my hard drive was destroyed. No backups. This happened in January. To put in perspective how absolutely mind numbingly frustrating this is, the game was literally a week from releasing the new version. I was just cleaning out some bugs in the compiled release.

I decided to start working on the game again in Monogame instead of using Game Maker. This allows for a couple of upgrades:
- Support for NVDA/JAWS (still need to test it to make sure it doesn't conflict with input, when I get a release I'll let you guys know)
- Optimized game engine
- More precisely built accessibility system.
Irrelevant to blind players, but also, it is also being ported to Linux but IDK how to hook it up with a screen reader. There is no Mono support for speech yet.

What I think is most important though for everyone here is the accessibility system. I've decided that the best way to get my system out there is to make it Open Source and free to use. That's right, I'm going to make a fork of the game project that offers an accessibility engine that only uses the XNA libraries to work. I believe that after 6 years of fumbling around like an idiot and figuring my way around making a better and better accessibility engine, it's necessary for me to release it both open source and license free.

I want to make an impact across the entire gaming industry and set an example with this project, and having it be open source means that anyone here can also contribute towards the codebase and make their own forks.

My goal since 2013 was to make games more accessible across the board and even though I've had to deal with so much B S in my life to get here I'm proud that I am still working on this project. I really am dedicated to this game despite the number of complete disasters I've dealt with during its production and I feel that this build will be the one that brings it to production; and also be the build that produces a powerful engine that ANYONE, blind or sighted, can add to their projects.

I've just started building out the basic outline of the engine, working on the proximity detector right now. It's basically a replica of the one I built in game maker for the last release, but a LOT less hacky.

Anyways, I'll make a new thread when I release my first version of the source so that everyone can check it out.

For now, the new game won't be available for some time. I'm working full time and utterly exhausted, and I'm trying to figure out ways to dedicate more time onto development of the project. Instead I want to focus on getting the accessibility engine out there and focus on making the game lose its "blind game" stigma - yeah, that's a thing. People thought a game about colours was just for blind people, like as if the whole point of accessible gaming isn't to give an equivalent experience!

Anyways, thanks for putting up with my crap for the last 6 years. I'm not gonna let you guys down with this.

2019-03-27 03:11:12 (edited by defender 2019-03-27 03:12:03)

Damn! sounds like you've been through allot, but also learned allot along the way. I hope your making both physical and cloud backups now...
Major props for not giving up after so long, many others would have.
The licensing thing must have been a tough decision, but at least you can open up a donation page with those licenses still right? Maybe even put a message about it in the game when you open-close it and an item in the main menu?

Outside of the game's progress, it's nice to hear from you again.

2019-03-27 03:51:46

The game itself will be closed source, but I think that making the accessibility engine open source is a necessary move in the right direction for accessibility.

Sure, I can put up a donation link but I don't really think it's necessary to donate. The reason why I'm doing this is because I'm sick and tired of this attitude towards accessibility that things should be proprietary. Think about how much that holds accessibility back, think about how much things like NVDA changed everything. Knowing that the old implementation of my accessibility engine seemed to be a solid start for what I'm trying to do, I figured that releasing it in this way isn't just the best way to make it a better end product, especially with blind developers adding their input, but also makes it much easier for other developers to implement some level of accessibility into their sighted games.

And honestly I'm really just tired of the fake B S that was floating around a few years back. I had a thing that worked with my last build and I wanna make that thing work. I'm just so frustrated with my luck and my negligence. At least I'm finally moving away from Game Maker.

2019-03-27 05:25:26

Definitely gonna check the engine out when you open-source it.

Also hyped for the next game update!

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2019-03-29 04:26:25

O! is really amazing ear about you! Daigo!

Waiting with a lot of expectation to see what lovely things you will add to the engine smile
I love monogame, and my last experiments (only dumy things) were  developed on that framework, and is awesome smile

well waiting for more updates, and thanks for appear again!

Remember! create a git repository for every important project that you have! Bitbucket offers to you private repositories withou any cost!

smile
see ya!

2019-03-29 16:37:58

congrats!

2019-04-03 19:23:18 (edited by daigonite 2019-04-03 19:27:22)

Idk how helpful this video is but I got the proximity detector working last week. When I get windows up and running again I might convert it to Naudio though to have more control over panning.

https://twitter.com/SPECTRUM_JRPG/statu … 37667?s=20

The game is being rebranded as SPECTRUM btw.

I'm really excited about using monogame because it would make it a lot easier to port the engine to unity and stuff.

This week I'm going to build out the pathfinding system. Idk who played the last build but the pathfinder basically would make a sound path from your current position to a destination and you can follow the sound to where you want to go. It even takes into consideration collisions.

And yep this game is now on a private bit bucket repo so it's not going anywhere. Once I finish the engine I will start porting it for the module I promised + get a public repo for it

2019-04-06 05:27:56 (edited by sanslash332 2019-04-06 05:31:33)

@daigonite are you using some specialized library for the sound engine?

Or only the built-in engine of monogame.

I ask because... well some engines have interesting things (that aren't so hard to implement) like 3d positioning, using hrtf  for 3d virtual audio scenes and something similar. smile

smile

A few days ago, I was making some experiment with fmod and... well, I have to refine some things to work properli but I got playing audio xd

and yep, mixing fmod and monogame with c#

:)edit:
about the proximity detector, hmm... I guess that will be a good option, give to the user the possibility to enable more highers (in pitch) sounds.
For me, these sinusoidals sounds are low; i preffer more higher sounds, like these Aaron backer use in Paladin of the sky, or manamon in the classic detector mode.

smile

2019-04-06 05:31:27 (edited by daigonite 2019-04-06 05:35:18)

Hey there sandslash, Right now I'm only really using monogame/XNA's libraries and I'm developing in linux cuz I dont have much in the ways of a computer right now.

Right now I have the following done with the audio engine:
Music player
Sound effects
Sound Emitters
Proximity Detector

And I'm currently working on the pathfinder tool. Also the game has a TTS class but I haven't tested it cuz mono in linux doesn't support TTS

I want to use NAudio for the proximity detector to see if I can do something that gives me more control over panning. It works for now in the XNA-only build but it would be better if I had more control over the sound itself, and also it could allow me to do other dynamic processing of the sound stream. But that's kind of way head of the game, I still need a system with Windows to even start building that out, so I'm just focusing on the core elements.

In response to your edit, I just chose a low pitched sound for now so I can just change the wav sample that it uses to use a higher pitched one.

2019-04-06 05:34:11 (edited by sanslash332 2019-04-06 05:36:14)

interesting, interesting smile

So, in the preview post I've posted some comments about the demonstration showed in your previows post smile

I paste it here:
about the proximity detector, hmm... I guess that will be a good option, give to the user the possibility to enable more highers (in pitch) sounds.
For me, these sinusoidals sounds are low; i preffer more higher sounds, like these Aaron backer use in Paladin of the sky, or manamon in the classic detector
mode.

sorry for the edit... dummy submit button.

what are you using exactly for develop in linux?

A VPS? or your have installed linux in a old machine

smile

2019-04-06 05:35:55 (edited by daigonite 2019-04-06 05:38:31)

I'll just say it again then lol.

Basically, the sound sample I'm using is low pitched; I can replace it with a different, higher pitched sample instead.

I'm just using mono in ubuntu, with monodevelop to develop natively.

I'm not really that experienced in linux its just all I have right now.

2019-04-06 05:40:25

@daigonite jajajaja sorry, sorry.

Is hard talk using edits xd.

Hmmm.
In the past I tried to use NAudio, but I don't like it because it crashed randomly and you have in your code some rescue code to catch the crashes and re-instiatingthe engine.
So because that on that moment, I changed to irrklang (a beautiful an easy to use library) and well, on these days openal or fmod sounds a very good libraries. Both supports hrtf, and control over each sound emitter (or channel) plus the listeners, master channel or  something else.

I didn't check whats news have NAudio on its last updates smile

2019-04-06 05:41:45

I'm concerned about licenses though.... I'll have to look into those options as well.

2019-04-07 03:01:08

Haven't thought about this game in quite a long time honestly. Glad to see it's still on the table despite all the setbacks. I look forward to seeing what ultimately emerges.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!