2018-03-20 11:53:35

hello!
is there an up to date guide for how to get started with the steam client and how to make it accessible?

2018-03-20 12:20:12

Hi, I'm happy to write up some instructions.  Will do it this week when I've hopefully recovered from the flue.   there's no way dictation would get it right.

2018-03-20 15:39:45

I was going to create an account so I could have access to the You Don't Know Jack games, but now the signup process features a captcha with no apparent alternate means to fill it out. Then again I'm not sure those games would run on Windows 10.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-03-20 16:20:54

I'm using windows 10, they run just fine.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2018-03-20 16:50:45

Nice. Those are some of my favorite games. I only wish the Jack Attack questions were accessible.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-03-20 23:41:21

What would need updating? There's the new windows 10 OCR, but from what I can tell the setup process remains largely the same Unless you guys have a cooler method to use steam.

2018-03-21 00:28:30

from what I remember on pc all you have to do is edit your steam shortcut. I don't remember having to tweek anything else. this is for jaws but I assume the same with NVDA.

alter the target in properties for your steam short cut some something like this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -login username password -no-dwrite

obviously replaceing the parts that say username and password with your actual username and password.

also make sure steam doesn't launch automatically or it won't use that method.

it's still fiddly but useable.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-03-21 03:16:19

Yeah pretty much. I don't use steam a ton now days because most of my stuff is on console. I did buy Kotor 2 on steam when the last jedi was coming out because it was super cheap. Everything seemed to work the same really

2018-03-25 03:09:20

well I've apparently broken something in the settings, I can't read any of the window now.  no idea how to fix this. yikes

2018-03-25 12:12:54

hey, i've done as you said and launched the steam client. i can't do anything in it though. is it possible to redeem keys and buy directly from the steam website
instead?

2018-03-26 11:41:53

Hi ghuys! Could you suggest some accessible or at least playable steam titles? I love action games as well as sports and pinballs. Thanks a lot for your help! Bye for now!

Claudio

2018-08-13 00:55:59

Hello i can't do anything with the steam client. any suggestions?

2018-12-07 09:17:46

hi guys, I want to get steam to work, have an account and everything but can't get it to run to work with nvda, have a game just can't get to it to download/play it.
I changed the target destination for the desktop shortcut, still not a change unless theres commands that work better in the client. would appriciate any feedback thanks!

don't look back, cause you'll loose the road ahead.

2018-12-07 09:48:56 (edited by Mirage 2019-04-02 23:21:49)

I'm interested in this client too.
Could someone tell me the state of accessibility as of December 2018?
What works and what doesn't?
What percentage of games on Steam would you guess are accessible?
In your opinion, is it worth the trouble to use the client?

2018-12-07 10:17:21 (edited by JLove 2018-12-07 10:18:35)

Steam is a piece of shit.  I bought a couple of games with Steam back when I was using Windows 8.1 and could actually log into the fucking thing.  Now that I have Windows 10, despite having Windows OCR (which is supposed to be an improvement, right?) I can't even log in.  I can't even navigate to enter username and password.  Fucking piece of detritus is steam, and I haven't noticed that Windows OCR is much of an improvement.

2018-12-07 12:19:05

Hi,

I still use steam, but not via the client. After editting the shortcut, the
-login <username> <password> -no-dwrite
You will get the steamguard, you also will get an email with a code. copy the code, hit enter once in the steamguard, hit CTRL + V followed by enter. It is possible you have to press enter again. Steam will update, if there is an update, and the client will open up.
Go to your prefered browser and go to:
http://store.steampowered.com

Login to your account via the website, it is possible you have to fill out another steam guard, but this one is much more accessible.
When logged in, look up the game you purchased and open it's details page. There should be a play now or something link on that page, cause you purchased it. Allow your browser to open an external program, don't panic, it opens up steam.
When you have the screen in which you can install the game on the front, just hit enter a few times, till the screen closes and steam will download and install your game. When you want to play your game, just hit the shortcut which is placed on your desktop.

Note: This are instructions when you own games, when you want to purchase a game, that are slightly different instructions, but configuring the steam client is the same smile

Hth

Greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2018-12-07 18:27:36

Hi.
Steam seems to work quite differently on different computers. Some people manage to navigate the steam window by using NVDA's object navigation, and others, like me, can't get it to work.
Last time I tried, I couldn't find the play now button on the website, but that might have changed. Steam have still not given me any good experiences yet. However, I have been able to buy games and install games, but it took a lot of patience.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-12-08 00:27:12

ok, set up this shortcut, still no steam guard, shortcut looks like this on desktop
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -login xxx xxxxxx-no-dwrite
the first set of x's being username the second being password, not actual username or password for obvious reasons.
am I writing this wrong? even copied and hit windows r and ran it with the text and just opens steam regularly.
again appreciate any help.

2018-12-08 14:00:52

Hi.
Have you tried to launch stream and do an OCR to see what's on the screen?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-12-08 15:21:20

Hello.
I don't know about you but if I launch steam, the automatic logging in does work indeed, but it throws me to a web format client, not in my web brosser but directly in the steam client; this page contains everything related to the steam shop, but there's no way to access my game list. All I can do is access the different promo or bross through the hundreds of games available on the platforme.
I wanted to install shank on this PC, to see what had change, but there's no way to do so. On the website, I can access the games I bought, but there's no way to install them apparently...

Best regard,
Simon

2018-12-08 20:40:27

the ocr shows nothing, howeverf onces I did hit enter or space and it showed an http sight but I was unable navigate inside it with nvda ocr.

2018-12-08 20:44:59

IN DEED IT OPENS TO THE STORE, JUST NOT ABLE TO INTERACT INSIDE THE PART THAT SAYS the store address, steamstore bunch of letters and numbers. maybe newer steam and newer nda is the problem I;m not quite sure

2018-12-09 01:46:52

How, or why,  the fuck do you make a client that OCR can't even read?  What a fucking waste.

2018-12-09 02:34:50

15: In my experience, just about everything can be used with relatively little effort, and an increasing number of functions in the client are becoming accessible to the point where OCR is not required. Unfortunately as of now, the library and settings screens still require some sort of OCR as of a few months ago when the review cursor seemed to have lost the ability to work with it, but the client absolutely can be used. The only thing I clearly recall not being able to do after fighting with it for a good long while is change my steam library path, but although this was annoying, it was easily solved by just installing the program in the place where I wanted my games. As for whether it's worth the trouble, this is obviously subjective. There are quite a number of games that simply can't be played by us as of now, but there are also a growing number that can, and win 10 OCR is a huge piece of the accessibility puzzle. the difference it made was quite shocking, and in primarily text based games like the yu-gi-oh: legacy of the dualist card game, it turned a title from a zero to a 10 on the playability scale real quick. Of course OCR is just one step on the road to mainstream accessibility, but it's a bit more of a leap in my opinion, as only a few years ago if someone told me i could install a game and read most or all of its text, I would have told them to keep dreaming up rainbows and unicorns. I digress however. IMO, it's definitely worth the trouble if you have access to OCR, as right now that's the only way I know of to click buttons in the library and settings screens. If you're not a win 10 user I admit it won't be possible to use the client at this time, though valve seems to be moving in the right direction with accessibility, so an accessible library is a real possibility in the relatively near future.
20: Press control+f, for whatever reason that rescues your focus from the store :d.