2018-03-14 09:05:36

Moderation!

@Steve, Remember this forum is a place to discuss audiogames and other related matters.
Your very welcome to be here, but might I suggest you leave the issue of your identity and possible discussion aside. For one thing people will probably not believe you, simply because that is the nature of the internet, and for another there are far more matters you could offer us your opinions and expertees on rather than rehashing your identity.
You know who you are and are happy with it which is fair enough, others can believe or not as they wish.

To everyone else, regarding Stevejobs identity I'll suggest people cool off a bit.

Remember the rules on this forum state that people should respect each other and not launch personal attacks.

Either A, this is indeed Steve Jobs and we have a very unusual circumstance, in which case welcome Steve, or B, this is not Steve Jobs but a member indulging in a bit of harmless fantasy, in which case also welcome Steve big_smile.

Either way, no harm is being done here, and as the saying goes, no harm no foul.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-14 09:22:31

I never mean any harm. I am here to be honest with everyone and try to be helpful. Please do not misunderstand this. Now, can we discuss the proper topic here.

You can't connect the dots looking forward.  You can only connect them looking backwards.

2018-03-14 21:47:43

Right, the homepod. Honestly, I think that Apple thought people would like it because of the quality of the speaker, and they were partially correct. A lot of people said that if they could remake the homepod, they'd keep the speaker but put Google Assistant or Alexa on it. So yeah, people are definitely willing to get it for just the speaker.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-03-14 22:14:17

I just received my amazon Echo. Now, I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

You can't connect the dots looking forward.  You can only connect them looking backwards.

2018-03-15 00:14:25

You can either set it up through an amazon alexa app, or alexa.amazon.com

2018-03-15 01:07:06

Which seems to be more accessible?

2018-03-15 02:47:59 (edited by Chris 2018-03-15 02:51:29)

The product is going to flop unless Apple gives Siri a much needed overhaul and adds integration with other content services. I would rather purchase the Google Home or Amazon Echo.
I have a strong suspicion that HomePod is going to get major attention at WWDC. Apple knows they're lagging behind their competitors. It's sad when you consider that Apple was the first one to boast about how awesome computer voice  technology would be.

edit

It looks like the HomePod includes a Bluetooth radio. Why hasn't Apple activated it yet? I'm starting to wonder if this product is going to be just like the Apple Watch. If it offers no third party device and app support and costs just as much as the Apple Watch, I'm not interested.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-03-15 03:08:19

I generally don't do this, but allow me to Share a joke I thought of. What is the difference between HomePod and a block of wood? The block of wood may actually serve a purpose someday.

2018-03-15 06:12:04

Awesome joke, but it's also true. The apple watch has way more of a chance to turn into something useful than the homepod.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-03-15 08:19:32 (edited by Ethin 2018-03-15 08:20:02)

I generated a complaint letter using a complaint letter generator and specified the target to be 'Apple'. What's so amazing about it is most of what it talks about is actually true and is what Apple does. (It does no research and no data gathering or anything, just puts together a coherent and sensical letter that's meant to be humorous.) You can find it at https://pastebin.com/raw/FutZ2hwE. Do remember while reading this to not get offended. smile

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-03-15 10:17:15

@Stevejobs, with regards to alexa and the amazon echo setup isn't too bad at all provided you have an uptodate browser.

If you go to the alexa amazon site and the "settings tab" you can follow the instructions to connect the echo to your wireless network and setup your account, it's all fairly simple so long as you do it online, just navigate by links and headings.

Just don't try it with the Ios alexa ap as it's still pretty ropy to use.
For some fun things to do with Alexa such as accessible games see This list I put together

With regards to Apple, I'd like to try an Apple watch at some point, especially for games, intigration with aps and navigation purposes, though not quite enough to fork out the cash for one, but I see no point in the homepod, especially for someone like me  really can't stand Itunes and all this library rubbish and would rather you know, own their own music?

One annoying thing about the Alexa though, is the amount of times it tells you to look at the alexa ap. Want to examine your settings, learn about new skills, change voice or even delete a reminder? your told to go to the ap, heck even to browse wikipedia your told to go to the ap.

This really bugs me since hay if I wanted to turn a computer on and  websites I would not be using the damn alexa in the first place, I thought the hole point of  voice control device was to be controlled by your voice, not have you constantly running to your computer?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-15 11:04:40

Everything seems to work well. I just don't understand how Joan is able to tell Alexa to play a certain type of music to help her sleep. I haven't figured that out yet.

2018-03-16 06:44:35

I thought music playback required a bluetooth capable device, as it does with most external speakers these days. If this is not the case, simply tell me. There is no need for an insult. I thought she could connect the Echo to her phone and play music like that.

2018-03-16 10:18:54

What is that like? I haven't been there, and I don't want to be there for a long time. :d

2018-03-16 11:37:37

Moderation!

Assault freak, I'm afraid your post actually was! rather insulting.

As I said in post 26, if this is a member indulging in a bit of harmless fantasy, that fantasy is harmless and no reason for launching attacks on the matter, Stevejobs deserves the same consideration as any other member.

@Stevejobs, You can find a lot about the echo under the "things to try" section of the Alexa ap, and look into bluetooth connectivity in settings, though the Echo has its own relatively okay speakers I believe where the Echo dot does not.

Myself I don't tend to bother using the thing for music playback much since the selection isn't that great, besides I don't like the idea of paying to rent a music service, I prefer to actually own my own music and play it when I like, but still the options are there if you want.

2018-03-16 12:04:27

I believe the Echo Dot is great for smaller rooms that are generally used by only one person. I find the speaker to have excellent sound, considering the size of the device. I am no music expert however. The music expert in this house is asleep. I have heard recordings of the Google Home Mini, and it is just too loud for a small speaker. @dark, we have an Amazon Prime account so we can make use of Prime video. Does that also include some sort of music service? We need Prime video for Press Your Luck. Joan and Eliza love the whammies.

2018-03-16 13:24:49

Sincere apologies, and both posts have been deleted. There are times when I let my sarcastic side get the better of me...

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-03-16 14:10:45

Apology accepted. Feel free to contact me privately if you want. I can take. a joke.

2018-03-16 17:36:16

I'm less a fan of the echo dot's speaker, its okay for audio or monno sound but compared even to the sterrio system in my bedroom its pretty dire, still as I said Amazon's music   capabilities weren't great  what with it either getting music requests wrong or trying to get us to subscribe to unlimited music half of the time, I'd rather just buy stuff and download.

Mostly Mrs. Dark and I use the thing for games, facts those sorts of things, which it works for very well.

2018-03-16 20:47:47

We don't need anything extremely loud. Besides, space is limited here. Too many obsolete apple products lying around. *smiles*

2018-03-25 07:51:31

Has this topic fallen asleep?

2018-03-25 11:28:27

@dark,
audio junkies and music lovers use the echo dot to make their existing  sound system smart - as in make them Alexa-powered.

So if you have a great stereo system in your room, you can connect the dot to it and make them smart.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2018-03-25 22:38:06

We use the echo as a stand-alone device, and we aren't disappointed.

2018-03-26 04:55:29

Gosh, the Homepod is a joke, a sort of me-too product from Apple. Amazon, Google, and even Microsoft have given out speakers. Only thing is, the others' work with other apps. Take this example. I have Apple Music, although I may swap that out for paid Spotify or something since I use my Windows computer more than my Mac now.
Google Home:
Hey Google, play some music.
Google: Okay, playing some music on spotify.
HomePad:
Hey Siri, play some music
Siri: It looks like you don't have an Apple Music subscription.See how disheartening the Homepod would be? Sure, there's the workaround of sending music to your Homepod, but then you're not even using the Homepod, you're using an iPhone.
So, Apple needs to "hit refresh" as Microsoft has, and start playing with others in the playground and stop trying to build it all in their little sandbox. Yes, I have an iPhone, a MacBook, and an Apple Watch. I've probably given Apple over $1000 worth of in-app purchases. But Siri, Voiceover, Mac, and even Airplay are falling behind, majorly. Did you know that you can't even send audio from an iPhone to a Mac through Airplay? Well, you can, but gotcha! Pay this company $25 or so, and you can do all the Airplay you want. Freaking greedy Mac developers.
Ah well. Microsoft gets it now. So we'll see what comes of them, now that they take accessibility seriously, and they want to "delight" their customers. I don't even think Apple looks out of their company anymore. Its like they think they're the only company in town, and that'll get them nowhere. Come on Microsoft, make the next big thing, something to replace this iPhone. I really, really can't wait.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2018-03-26 08:10:36

Do I have your permission to send that post to Apple? It is your right to complain to the company if you don't like something. I agree with everything you have said. Apple is not the Apple of twenty years ago.