2018-03-12 21:14:41

hello there, I have a few questions about VIP mud. Is the 30 dollar purchase a one time thing? Is there a way to read more than the 9 lines with control-number, like if I want to read 20 lines behind, without going to the output window. Is there a way to save triggers? I have made a few but everytime i open Vip, I have to redo them again. thanks!

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2018-03-12 21:17:56

yes the 30 dollar purchice is definitely one time, I bought my copy in 2010 and have been using it ever since on sevral machines.
The only miner issue is the  need to change license keys when you change computers, but since Gma games has an automatic process for this it's not too much of a problem.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-13 03:31:31

ah, good to know. I feel like the layout and interface is clanky though. Any tips as to reading text without going to the output window. And how to play a loop file, for background music?

because x is always 10!

2018-03-13 10:27:37

I'm afraid I just use Vipmud to play muds, scripting has never interested me.
Also I actually find the output window is one of the features I like most inn Vipmud since it makes text so much easier to read or hit enter on or even do a find function for the spelling of a word, most of the time I don't find I need to use it anyway because of the speaking of oncoming text.

In a mud like Flexible survival it's a godsend because you can  arrow up and down through the battle text after each round  get the important information about what's happened and cut out the rubbish, almost like playing a browser game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-03-13 16:54:03

I don't think it can do music, I think it has like one or two sound channels that can play simultaneously, it also can only play MP3's of a certain bit rate and sample depth. I did buy and have regretted the purchase. I can't remember what formats it supports, but I have heard complaints from sound pack developers who say that this certain sound will not play in vipmud when it will in their media player. It also uses a proprietary scripting language, so no lua or python or anything like that. That being said, the ability to create triggers and stuff from the input window is kind of neat. Saving triggers is confusing to me. It involves creating them and then saving them and I honestly forget how to do it, its a clunky process. I also think that 1-10 is all you get without having to view the output window. Now, I've heard people talk about channel buffers similar to what you can do with Mushclient, but I've never seen a pack with this implemented into it so I cannot attest to whether this does work or not.

You'll be most likely to find a sound pack for VIP over any other client, so if you just want to drag and drop them into your data folder and play, its a good option, but if you want to have any say over it, develop your own sound packs, I wouldn't bother, I'd honestly go with another option. I'm partial to MUSHClient because it is very powerful, and with certain plugins like lua audio, channel history, output functions, auto retyping and others,it can become very functional, and of course mushreader to get it working with screen readers. This process of setting it up is certainly an entry barrier though, and I couldn't blame anyone for not using it just on that basis because it is a bit of work to get things running smoothly. Also, sometimes installing sound packs can be a bit of work too. VIPMUD does have MUSH beat in one aspect though, the ability to tab between the output and input windows, with MUSH, you cannot do this with tab alone, you need to add control to it. You do get the control 1-0 to review last 10 lines if you use output functions though, you also get ALT 1-0 to read the last 10 of the selected buffer if you use channel history, and then configure it for use, or if its already in a pack you use. I have a NVDA addon that puts focus into the output window, which isn't the same as the control tab window, but is the main window of the client. I personally will use NVDA review and object nav to review the window. Between this, and the control numbers for last 10, and alt numbers for last 10 of buffer, I rarely need to use the control tab window. It does come in handy though for when text is scrolling fast and it will not auto scroll you to the bottom, it will store your position and keep you there until you leave it, and then it will start updating again.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-03-13 17:34:06

Okay, I will do my best answer questions.  If you want to save triggers 1 .  Create the trigger as normal 2 if it says save to world hit enter 3 you should see the default set file for the mud that you are trying to play add it to that note this work.  One time I was doing it, if it does not work, that I may be missing a ffew steps, but I'm just  giving what information I have done before
cheers
tyson

“The fear of loss is a path to the dark side. Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy.
The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” —

2018-03-13 20:58:33

It's worth noting that you will have to pay for upgrades to a major version. For example, upgrades to 1.0 were free. The upgrade to 2.0 was not, although there was an upgrade discount for existing version 1.0 users for a while. Any upgrades to version 2.0 are free.

2018-03-15 00:41:41

ah, good to know thanks. Well the only reason I decided to try vip,mud, was because I thought it woud make my mud experience on the iron games much easier, but it seems I have more trouble than with mushclient. thanks though, for all the answers quite helpful. I may keep trying it just to see if maybe things will get more comfortable over time.

because x is always 10!