2018-02-11 02:40:18

Hi all,

Curious, has anyone tried to use any software to create BGM easily, ex: Music Maker, Band in a Box, etc?

I like the idea of BIAB generating music based on chords you type, would make it easy to produce a pretty good soundtrack that isn't 8-bit, if you're not looking to produce such a thing.

I also no longer have any instruments to hook up to my computer to make anything with now, and GarageBand's onscreen keyboard is, well, let's just say people probably don't create/record entire songs with it.
Thoughts? I know topics like this have come up before, but I'd hope there's a free or way cheaper alternative other than Band in a Box.

2018-02-11 16:55:57

You could get a midi controller for a fraction of the price of a full-on synth. Plug it into your computer and you can play Garageband with it. They can be anywhere from $35 to the low $100s but typically the ones that are $100something are the irig keys keyboards that are designed for use with mobile devices.

2018-02-11 23:44:11

Can I use software synths with those? My mom bought me one a few years back that claimed to support midi with a cable but not sure whether it was a Midi controller.

2018-02-12 02:07:27

Yes, you can.

2018-02-14 07:51:44

Reaper is the best for editing midi and you can download software synths to use in it.  Keep in mind it doesn't have any built in VSTs and you'll have to get them, but if you already have a midi contorller it's really easy to pick up and use.