2018-02-09 19:50:57

Hello,
I am starting to work on a game. It would be the first person survival game.
You would connect to the server with other players, and...
The round would start, everyone would be given a knife, and the goal would be to be the winner, just be alone on a map. How you would accomplish this depends just on your creativity. Will you fight for your life? Or will you just escape from your enemies? Or maybe you'll use powers of the nature to protect you?
I have some questions, as I don't want the game to be overloaded with the features.
1. What would you like to see in a title like that?
2. Should there be some kind of a points system? For example, you are the winner and you are given some points to spend on upgrading your char for the next plays?
3. Central or player run servers?
I am taking this project very serious, so comments are highly appreciated.
Regards,
N

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-02-09 20:01:49

i think a main servr is better

2018-02-09 20:48:56

Hello noono, i'd like to see your game! it's interesting for me, and so i suggest a central server, a points system, powers of nature would be awesome! Wish you luck in your project!

2018-02-09 20:54:37

Yea, the points system would be avesome, but it would be a trouble for me to balance things out.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2018-02-09 22:32:14

hi, I'd really like to see such a game. What I'd like to see is basically what you described, though I don't quite know what you mean. Would other players fight to the death with each other, or against other foes like in undead assault? What exactly do you mean with "the powers of nature". Do you mean the ability to say ensnare your enemies in a tangle of vines, or crafting better weapons while you are hunkered down somewhere? Regarding servers, I'd actually like to see a system where you would be running a main server somewhere, however if people want to play on their own with possibly less lag, they can set up their own servers. They would be able to toggle whether the server should be public or private. If it is public, you can see it in the server list and everyone can join and host games on it. If it is private, you will have to enter the IP of the server, or its address to connect to it.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-02-09 22:35:37

Connor, sorry for the chaotic post.
The players would be fighting each other, and, by the powers of nature I meant mainly weather.
The game would feature a radar, you will be able to see players, say... 50 tiles of you, but if there would be clouds this distance would be trimmed.

2018-02-10 00:16:37

I think you should have both a main server and a private server. You wouldn't be forced to make your own to play if you don't have the means to make it, and at the same time if you want to play by your own rules you can. I like to play by my own rules, I don't like being moderated by another person or team.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-02-10 00:35:39

One thing I'd say is can the whole item drops on ground. I'd suggest making them found in crates, desk drawers, boxes, cabinets and cupboards and so forth. Also, do fly overs where planes fly over an area and drop crates which parachute to the ground, that way you have to fight for the items.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-10 01:24:18 (edited by magurp244 2018-02-10 01:26:15)

Hm, this is sounding a bit like the Battle Royal style of games that are the current rage in the mainstream.

Generally speaking if your going to have progression outside of the gameplay then you'd need a centralized server to keep track of it, if people can setup their own centralized private servers then you could end up with all sorts of servers competing with each other in a chaotic fashion. Although you could still implement private servers without a progression system, but have the option to connect to your main servers for progression.

With Fortnite: Balle Royal people parachute into a combat zone and scavenge items and weapons from towns, buildings, and crates left all over the place, then murder each other until one person is left. Because of the size of the map there is an ever shrinking circle called the "storm", anyone caught outside of the circle loses heath and eventually dies. This serves to push the dwindling number of players together to keep things interesting and manage game length, otherwise as the player count diminishes they'd have an increasingly harder time finding each other within the map area which could stretch the game for hours of boring crate smashing.

Progression also consists largely of cosmetics, things like character and weapon skins, emotes, dances, sound effects, etc. Nothing that would give anyone any inherent advantage in the actual game. I'd imagine the same could be done with unlockable sound packs for characters, dance music, weapon sounds, etc. Unless you plan on going with more of an RPG power slide, though long term this could produce powerful players and put new players at a disadvantage, and make balance more problematic. Sticking with cosmetics could make things a bit easier, since you could introduce new environments with different audio to shake things up, or new character sound packs, etc. to help take the pressure off adding new items and weapons, which can be done more gradually to help iron out balance issues over time.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-02-10 06:38:59

@9 I see where you're coming from on the centralized server thing, but I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree. Lets say that I want to play the game with a friend, but I don't have the choice of making my own server. Next thing you know, some guy named averagejoe420 is shooting me with a rocket launcher and taking crates and stuff like that, and I don't get a chance to fight my friend because I'm having to give averagejoe420 my attention. We already have tuns of games that all have centralized servers, Red spot and The Killer to name 2 out of the dozen or so that probably exist. Although, I maybe exaggerating a bit as I do confess I'm falling asleep as I right this post.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2018-02-10 06:48:16

just want to ask, what is the theam of the game? , is it tradisional with swords, bows, spears etc, or modern with guns?
it will be cool if it is tradisional like for honor, or dynasty warrior hehehe.

2018-02-10 06:52:34

I tend to agree, central servers are cool for mainstream games who have thousands if not tens of thousands of players, but the thing is, there are more than one of said servers. You have maybe 2 or 3 in each region, for big countries, like the U.S. its like 3, but you will also have 3 European servers, etc. The problem here is that we have players from all over the globe, and while that's cool in one aspect, its not in another. The issue here is that travel distance. If the server is located in the U.S., people in eastern Europe will lag it out with their traffic. If its in say, Australia, U.S. people will lag it out, and so forth. It could be somewhere in Asia, in which case, extreme ends of the globe would lag it out. Travel time isn't a big factor, but here's what is. It is unfortunate to note, but it is the truth, a lot of people here are from developing countries with not so great of an infrastructure for the internet. Whenever you have this, it badly lags a server. You could have people averaging say 60ms ping to the server, but some guy who is pulling 400's is gonna cause the server to have to slow way down to keep everything in sync. The opposite is true too for people who have extraordinarily fast pings, like 20ms and everyone's averaging 100, its creating sync issues.

So, I don't think its fair for people with worse connections to bring down everyone else's experience, but I also don't think its fair to exclude them because of circumstances outside their control, so, the compromise is let players run their own servers, and have a main server only for validation or some such thing. And if someone in India wants to play with their friends in Australia, fine, if a group of people from the UK want to play with one another, fine, but I don't like playing games where people have bad connections that just make the experience go downhill for the rest of the people. I tend to get into games, especially online ones, and when there's constant issues such as lag, etc. it just takes me right out.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-10 09:08:18

You guys are making some great points out there.
And yes, I was inspired by the Battle  Royale genre, I just forget the name? Planes with items? Cool idead
And about the map, it will be randomised by each game play, to prevent old players memorizing all the strategic spots smile

2018-02-11 20:41:58

sounds very cool. Reminds me of pub g if anyone knows what that is. Players can go in teams of up to 4 and work together or play alone. up to 100 people can play on each round. They parachute out of a plane and onto the map which is randomised each time. There are various items to pick up, IE things to defend you like bullit proof vests and helmits, various guns and boms and many more things. Planes perform drops every so often with new items. There is also a feature that you cannot just stay well away from the action and try to win by doing nothing. You start taking damage if you are not in the correct zone, for example a zone can be made around players to draw them more together. Just some ideas there.

2018-02-12 10:45:12 (edited by User100 2018-02-12 10:47:13)

I am glad to see a new online PvP project with (probably) big potential. Nevertheless, want to warn the author: do not repeat Redspot mistakes! Each player must be first of all a human of flesh and blood, not a tank with large-caliber gun and 200-mm armor. This is the reason why I am against the points system. The influence of character stats should never be considerable, cause it will lead the game to highs and to total disbalance. The only way the points system can be safely used is an online raiting. Simply raiting, which does not give any game advantages.
I think that it should be right to make one central server (absolutely no personal servers, because they are only splitting the community), but implement an arena on main server, where people can fight by prior agreement.
Hope a replacement of Redspot will come soon smile Good luck!

2018-02-12 13:06:43

@user100 Sure, if you would find an item like an armour, it will slow you down because it's just heavy, ah, and surely no thousants of guns in the backpack!

2018-02-13 14:49:26

Borrow the best parts from pub g & fn
Leader boards for the amount of battles u or your clan have won
No perks to give anybody a upper hand
They never work out helping to get new players stay
Instead give funny perks in sounds & accessories
Dumb sayings & taunts
Funny taunts u can say after u have took someone out

2018-02-17 12:42:54

Status report: basics of basics work, autoupdater, map loading, walking, config saving/loading, basic serevr connection.
Thanks to Nyanchan for the advice whenever I need it.

2018-02-17 12:58:19

ah, seems interesting, i hope this won't be another of those dissappointing repetition of an hack and slash online game! and by the rate you're goin dude, you are gunna bring change in the status of online games! we ceriusly need somethin good reguarding online shooting games and such. lately the games have been realy, meh. no offense to anyone, just my personal views smile

Abay chal.

2018-02-17 13:02:12

nice. Sounds like it's coming along nicely. keep up the good work and hopefully we can make a really good game.
Just one thing, how will the turning system work. When a played redspot a while ago i hated that turning system where you had to use q and e to turn quickly. I hope the turning system will be better so it's easier to turn and fire quickly, maybe just like control arrows turns you quickly to left or right.

2018-02-17 17:17:25

Thanks for the good words guys! You are making me motivated!

2018-02-17 20:39:30

nuno, are you coding this in a language that allows gamepad support? If yes, I'd really like to see it in your game.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2018-02-18 11:50:45

Yes, HSP supports gamepad through joyforce I beliieve. I will look into this.

2018-02-20 00:11:08

I hated the redspot and STW turn thing, like a little ways off to the left, nice job dip shit, but your little ways off to the left is a long ways when you start side stepping or turning and running.

End racism
End division
Become united