2018-02-02 08:53:44

Hello.
Earlier, I studied programming as a hobby.
Now I want to move to England, and for the first time I will need work. For this I chose programming.
When I chose the language for WEB programming, I chose Python. Python is more in demand than PHP, and Python is more highly paid.
Now I need to choose between C# and Java.
On the syntax, in C# and Java it looks like.
I'm interested in technology. What is easier and faster to learn?
Java, in addition to SE, has EE, ME.
C# has WPF, WCF, and so on.
I've heard many negative reviews about Java from blind users.
I want to program under Windows and Linux.
Which is better for me?
Thanks in advance!

2018-02-02 13:22:33

Hello
java has java fx, which I think is a good idea, but, it's a new technology, and, I have not seen many people using it.
this for the desktop, and you can use both on windows and linux
the c #, has the wpf too, but, java is a little more targeted to the web and mobile, at least that's what is being applied more
You could try both and see which one you like best.

2018-02-03 00:59:42

I'd highly recommend C#. I've never delved into web programming - Ruby is probably much better for that -- but C# is great for everything you could ever want to use it for if you know how to apply it, and with .NET core, it now has an eve higher competitive edge than Java does since apps that run with it are usually significantly faster (not to mention the out-of-box accessibility on Windows).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-02-03 05:10:01

Why is C# better than Java?
On availability, Java applications are available for the blind. In Java, I can do cross-platform development.

2018-02-03 06:05:45

https://www.cwjobs.co.uk/salary-checker … ity-london
https://www.cwjobs.co.uk/salary-checker … ity-london
C# = £47,500
Java = £77,500
Another source:
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/lond … KO7,20.htm
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/lond … KO7,21.htm
C# = £43,014
Java = £46,863
In all two cases, Java is higher than .NET.
I tend to trust more to the second source, since it has more vacancies.
I need a language for work.

2018-02-03 06:38:27

Go with what your comfortable with. You can write cross-platform apps in .NET too, using .NET core. And C# apps are available for the blind without any special components. You can write a .NET windows forms app with ease and it'll be instantly accessible, whereas with Java you need the Java Access Bridge. Java is probably more popular because of it's various philosophies: security, simplicity, object-orientation, distributional, robustness, architecture-neutrality, portability, interpretedness, high-performance, multithreadedness, and dynamicness. C# has already (for the most part) accomplished the "secure" factor, and is attempting to cross the architecture-neutral barrier as well. It's already simple, very robust, distributed, quite portable (in the right conditions, that is), high-performance, multithreaded, and even a bit dynamic. It is interpreted, in a sense; when you compile your app, it's compiled into JIT bytecode (which executes surprisingly fast). I'd say both are very good languages for work, regardless of income.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-02-03 06:50:40

I think that the correct solution in my cases will be to look at these two languages and decide for myself what is best for me.
I'm familiar with C#, and it's true, Visual Studio is a very handy tool, in C# it's very easy to create a GUI. Now I'll try Java.

2018-02-03 07:39:09

Exactly what I said. smile

My Github

2018-02-03 10:58:46

Well, in a company where I'm currently working as a developer they like both Java and C#. It all depends on what you'll be doing. You can't make apps for Android in C#, you will need Java for that. But making Windows-based apps is certainly better with C#, because the end user doesn't need to enable accessibility before using the app as with Java.

2018-02-03 11:47:11

Hrvoje, in wich company do you worked?

2018-02-03 12:24:36

Hello
in C # yes you can
 make native apps for android using xamarin

2018-02-03 17:05:32

Oh yeah you're right I forgot it. I haven't actually tried to develope with Xamarin though.

2018-02-03 23:42:47

Xamarin is... interesting. And I know that RemObjects Elements can make android, OS X, Native, Java, and .NET apps in Android, though it's very expensive.

My Github

2018-02-04 01:25:33

In my case, I preffer and love c#. If you want try something for web, check ASP .net, when I've tried it, i loved it.

Respect java, well. sincerely if you are going to work with the JVM. Try scala, is a interesting language, or the new kotling. All of them works over the JVM.

2018-02-04 05:01:53

Hi.
I have questions about C, since it seems to be a very interesting language. I started getting interested in c a while back, but got busy with other things, and never got the chance to do anything with it.

First, I heard microsoft was making it so that you could develop for iOs on windows, did this ever get done? I would prefer working on windows to using a mac.
What do you use to run and compile c source code? Can I do this without using visual studio? I tried using visual studio a while back and could never get it to work properly.
Are c and c++ the same language or are there differences?
I've heard c is very heavy on dependencies. Is there an easy way to get them without having to search all over?
Is c faster than python? I would guess that it is, but just want to be sure.
Also could you recommend tutorials for learning c? I looked at something called learn c the hard way, but they said that in the book they make mistakes in the programming so they can show you how to do it the right way after, which seemed counter-productive to me.
And finally how does this xamarin work? Do you include it in your script when you're starting out?

Please provide links if you can. And sorry for all the questions, I'm a little unsure about all this right now lol!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-02-04 07:39:34 (edited by Ethin 2018-02-04 07:45:40)

@15, allow me:

First, I heard microsoft was making it so that you could develop for iOs on windows, did this ever get done? I would prefer working on windows to using a mac.

It's already been done -- with Xamarin, which is Microsoft's cross-platform development system in visual studio (though .NET core certainly works too). Xamarin allows iOS and Android development, whereas .NET Core only allows developing apps for Windows, Mac OS and Linux. Also, Xamarin is not available for C++ developers.
Second:

What do you use to run and compile c source code? Can I do this without using visual studio? I tried using visual studio a while back and could never get it to work properly.

You could, using things like Cygwin or MinGW. However, I would not recommend this; Visual Studio, by far, beats both of these platforms hands down. Yes, you have the disadvantage of not being able to use most GNU software, but you have the advantage of an excellent development environment that will assist you as you go. By "a while back" do you mean when VS2015 was the latest or when VS2013 was the latest; or do you mean when you tried using the latest version, VS2017? I encourage you t remove all prior VS products and install VS2017 -- it will be a much more pleasant experience if you do.
Third:

Are c and c++ the same language or are there differences?

C and C++ are practically the exact language, though there are differences; for example, what you can do in C you can do in C++, but not vice versa. I'd say C++ mainly adds a lot onto C; C++ was based off of C, after all. What C++ adds that C does not have are things like classes, inheritance, namespaces, polymorphism, references, exceptions, Construction, Cleanup, Copy, and Move semantics, operator overloading, special operators, class derivation, Class Hierarchies, Run-Time Type Information (RTTI), templates, generics, specialization, Instantiation, metaprogramming, the standard template library (STL), etc.
Fourth:

I've heard c is very heavy on dependencies. Is there an easy way to get them without having to search all over?

Nope. That's the simple answer. In fact, you will find that every language relies heavily on dependencies. There is not a language that does not. A language may have a huge standard library (like Python, for example) but you'll need to branch out of the standard library eventually.
Fifth:

Is c faster than python? I would guess that it is, but just want to be sure.

Generally, the answer to this question is "yes." Most natively compiled languages will be faster than interpreted or auxiliary-compiled programs simply because the program doesn't have to do anything special to run -- it runs and it works. However, the line of "native code is faster than auxiliary code" is quickly being blurred as more and more languages find more methodologies of optimization and increased performance advances, as well as the fact that computers are starting to have more and more processors and processor cores; and, by extension, more and more power. We've reached the end of processors "getting faster and faster," and are now getting to the point where instead of getting faster, we get more power instead. Speed is pretty much irrelevant now. But the general consensus is that native code will always be faster than interpreted code, no matter what you do with it, though with the advent of JIT (just-in-time) compilers we most likely won't have a language that is truly "interpreted" by 2040.
Sixth:

Also could you recommend tutorials for learning c? I looked at something called learn c the hard way, but they said that in the book they make mistakes in the programming so they can show you how to do it the right way after, which seemed counter-productive to me.

This, actually, is probably one of the best ways to learn how to code. If you are shown the wrong way to do things, you are less likely to write code "the wrong way" than if all you'd been shown was "the right way." Granted, you'll still make mistakes -- we all will and do -- but it's better to be shown "wrong code" than to end up writing that very "wrong code" because all you were shown is "right code" and end up shooting yourself because of it. As for tutorials, I'll take it a step further and recommend entire books -- I've always found good books to be much better than tutorials, myself. And since I'll be giving you C++ books (I do not recommend you learn C unless you really, really need to, which I'll explain why in a moment) you'll learn both simultaneously. Anyways, to the books (and read these with the first two always first, then the others -- they are more advanced ones):

1. Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++, 2nd ed., by Bjarne Stroustrup, ISBN 9780133796742.

2. The C++ Programming Language, 4th ed., by Bjarne Stroustrup, ISBN 9780133522853

3. Professional C++, ISBNs 9781118858059, 9781118858066, or 9781118858134

4. Mastering C++ Programming: Modern C++ 17 at your fingertips, by Jeganathan Swaminathan, ISBN 9781786461629

5. C++ Templates: The Complete Guide, 2nd ed., by David Vandevoorde, Nicolai M. Josuttis, and Douglas Gregor, ISBN 9780134778747

6. C++ Multithreading Cookbook, by Miloš Ljumović, ISBN 9781783289790

7. Mastering C++ Multithreading: A comprehensive guide to developing effective multithreading applications in C++, by Maya Posch, ISBN 9781787121706

8. Modern C++ Programming Cookbook: Over 100 recipes to help you overcome your difficulties with C++ programming and gain a deeper understanding of the working of modern C++, by Marius Bancila, ISBN 9781786465184

9. The CERT® C Secure Coding Standard: 98 Rules for Developing Safe, Reliable, and Secure Systems, 1st ed., by Robert C. Seacord, ISBN 9780132702461

10. The CERT® C Coding Standard: 98 Rules for Developing Safe, Reliable, and Secure Systems, 2nd ed., by Robert C. Seacord, ISBN 9780133805291

You may have noticed that I recommend both the first and second editions of the CERT(R) C secure coding standard. This is because the first edition has all the guidelines that make up secure programs; the second edition is just a supplement to the first edition and does not reiterate the contents of the first edition of the book with the new rules appended to the old ones as most books do. If you do want a quick and fast-paced introduction to C and/or C++, though, try https://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/c and/or https://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/c++. Now, the reason I said you should learn C++ rather than C is for a profusion of reasons, but mainly that C++ actually has a string type, but C uses arrays of chars, a very bad idea; C++ has vectors and maps, while all C has are arrays... I could go on and on and on on why C is a bad language to learn first.
And, finally... seventh:

And finally how does this xamarin work? Do you include it in your script when you're starting out?

I really don't know how xamarin really works -- I don't really ever use it, even though I have it. big_smile

My Github

2018-02-04 11:06:19

I wanted to develope my Android app in Kotlin, but my mentor just told me "Use Java". They probably don't wanna switch to a programming language that is still new. If you ask me, I prefere C# over Java, though both of them have their own strengths and weaknesses.

2018-02-04 14:57:32 (edited by victor01 2018-02-04 14:58:56)

Hello
Xamarin works basically
is a type of project that you create in visual studio, which has a basic class to run on the mobile
using mdk, they interpret the code in c # and transcribe it to c ++ or java.
I do not know for sure
but it works very well. you downloading the vs 2017, check the options for that and connect your cell phone via usb
and create a project xamarin and compile and be happy

2018-02-06 00:26:26

Hi Ethin.
Thanks for the post it was very informative!
I got visual studio community, but when I tried to install it it said something like error an instance of the program could not be loaded. And then when I got to the part where you check the things you want, everytime I checked a box it said something could not be found. I've tried redoing it several times but the same thing always happens. Could I have some help? I ran the installer instead of downloading it could this make a difference? How can I rid my computer of everything having to do with visual studio so I can reinstall from scratch?
Thanks.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2018-02-06 01:10:59 (edited by Guitarman 2018-02-06 01:15:38)

Hi.
Woops, the computer froze and then posted multiple times for some reason. I'll delete the extra posts when I have the chance. I can't believe my computer did this what a mess!
Alright all the multiple posts are gone so that's done thank goodness lol!

Guitarman.

2018-02-06 02:11:50

@19-20, rofl! To get rid of VS2017:
1. Download Total Uninstaller (https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvsu641tftstc … er.7z?dl=1).. (No, I didn't make this myself. It's one hell of a useful utility though.) Extract it.
2. Run Setup.ForcedUninstall.exe as administrator and follow the prompts. And even if it takes hours, let it do it's work. Do not interrupt it.

My Github

2018-02-06 04:25:06

Hi Ethin.
I ran total uninstaller, and I think it got rid of everything, but I get the same result when I run the installer. The same thing happens whether I run the installer from the website or download it. I sent you a PM.
I really need access to the ide as soon as possible.

Guitarman.

2018-02-07 15:54:01

@Guitarman if you have problems with the installation of vs community 2017, well you have various things to try:

Firts, downgrade and try to install vs community 2015, is very well too and works fine for your purposes, if the only that you want is start to try and learn c#

Other option, is get a full offline installer of vs 2017, like a complete iso of a retail edition of something similar. Simply browse it in TPB or similar site.

¡good luck!

2018-02-07 16:17:06

@23, two problems with that idea.
1. VS2015's installer is very difficult to use and can cause problems with VS's functionality. I wouldn't do that -- no, it's not a good idea in practice.
2. Downloading VS ISOs from TPB is not a good idea. Over 80 percent of those supposed ISOs contain some kind of malware. And why would you want to download it from TPB? WTF, man?

My Github

2018-02-12 01:13:07

1. hard to use? wtf? are you crazy mi man. Simply install it with the default options and OK
2. em... If you have a good criteria to download an iso from tpb are OK.a Small scan with your antivirus is OK. Or simply find the iso on any other warez website.

Are options if the official distribution didn't work for hem.

And of course, if you have access to dreamspark of MSDN for your work, school or university, well definitely that is the best option, but not everyone have that luck.