2018-01-31 05:02:00

Would be cool a possibility to affect allies effects like teleporters and heal.

2018-01-31 05:20:53 (edited by zakc93 2018-01-31 05:25:07)

To poison a square can already be done, just make a poison effect. But it might be interesting to have effects that only effect a unit and not a square, although with the large number of units usually in a game I don't know if it'll make much of a difference to target a single unit like that.
Healing on an adjacent square can also be done, make a healing unit similar to holy vision (no presence and invulnerable) and let your healer summon it on an adjacent square with a certain time limit.

2018-01-31 05:39:12

zakc93 wrote:

To poison a square can already be done, just make a poison effect. But it might be interesting to have effects that only effect a unit and not a square, although with the large number of units usually in a game I don't know if it'll make much of a difference to target a single unit like that.
Healing on an adjacent square can also be done, make a healing unit similar to holy vision (no presence and invulnerable) and let your healer summon it on an adjacent square with a certain time limit.

It doesn't make sense if it works only for a unit.

2018-01-31 14:56:40 (edited by brian.kurosawa 2018-01-31 14:57:17)

What i mean is for affect all units on a square, effects like poisoning or armor, but keeps damaging then even if they leave the square. But i don't know if Python would suport it without lozing performance. About healling i mean affecting your allies on multiplayer not only you. Not only healling effects but also teleports, portals and recalls. Also thrading resources bettween players would be awesome

2018-01-31 16:04:20

brian.kurosawa wrote:

What i mean is for affect all units on a square, effects like poisoning or armor, but keeps damaging then even if they leave the square. But i don't know if Python would suport it without lozing performance. About healling i mean affecting your allies on multiplayer not only you. Not only healling effects but also teleports, portals and recalls. Also thrading resources bettween players would be awesome

What i mean is for affect all units on a square, effects like poisoning or armor
yes, And that's what I mean too

2018-02-02 16:44:02

@brian, friend, python supports all things that your need. is a very powerful language tongue

2018-02-03 02:26:14

good, Hope to make a new version at an early date, I can't wait.

2018-02-09 21:15:49

@pragma

I have reviewed the changes after alpha 9. Most changes are good. The sensitive, "experimental" changes started on the end of August 2014, a few weeks before my computer broke down. Maybe that's why the changes are not complete. On May 2016, after alpha 10, the effort continued, with several steps in the right direction, but not enough to convince yet.

The next version, if it happens, will tell. My current opinion is that the changes, once complete, won't disturb the way current mods and maps are working. It might even fix a very old disturbance, when the catapults were given an all-or-nothing range of one square.

Initially, when SoundRTS was still a MUD, the fights were supposed to happen only near the center of a square, not near the exits. The current changes are trying to fix this issue by allowing fights near exits.

In order to experiment faster, I simplified sight range. This was supposed to be temporary. Maybe I forgot. The sight range should be a circle covering a square, maybe less. This way, a unit near a border will detect a small part of the next square, not all the square, and only if there is an exit or if the observer is on a higher ground, a"plateau".

This change have another issue: a unit near a border sometimes should and sometimes should not retaliate to a ranged unit attacking it or another unit nearby. The solution is either to give more precise orders to the units (like "hold ground"), or to make the units smarter, like in defensive mode, so the units behave the best they can with the information they have and without disobeying your orders. Maybe both solutions will be required.

When sight range and unit behavior have reached a convincing combination, we will know if the changes are compatible with the current mods and maps.

2018-02-12 20:06:11 (edited by SoundMUD 2018-02-13 03:43:29)

Pragma wrote:

this new default vision requires bigger maps, but we know that SoundRTS becomes too slow when a map exceeds something like 225 squares.

A bigger map isn't automatically slower, if the additional squares are empty obstacles (empty squares without any exits, representing a mountain, a lake, a sea or a river). The number of connections between squares will slow the game, because it will affect the shortest path research algorithm.

For example CAN5 could be:

(r = resources, b = bridge, m = meadows, .=nothing)

rmm.r.mrm.r.mmm.m.mmm
mmm.m.mmm.m.mmm.m.mmm
mmmbm.mmm.m.mmm.mbmmm
....m..b..m..b..m....
rmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
....m.....m.....m....
mmm.m.rmm.m.mmm.m.mmm
rmmbm.mmmbmbmmm.mbmmm
mmm.m.mmm.m.mmm.m.mmm
....m..b..m..b..m....
mmmmmmmmmmrmmmmmmmmmm
....m..b..m..b..m....
mmm.m.mmm.m.mmm.m.mmm
rmmbm.mmmbmbmmm.mbmmm
mmm.m.rmm.m.mmm.m.mmm
....m.....m.....m....
rmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
....m..b..m..b..m....
mmmbm.mmm.m.mmm.mbmmm
mmm.m.mmm.m.mmm.m.mmm
rmm.m.mmm.m.mmm.m.mmm

An editor could be useful to ease this kind of modification, especially to add new rows. Maybe I will add an edit mode accessible from the game mode. Don't do this by hand.

The number of objects, meadows included, especially in the same square, will slow the game too, because it can multiply the computations if there are loops inside loops implying objects (for example: choosing a target).

Pragma wrote:

And of course I forgot to say that this vision by default has inconveniences for the mods, because the vision of the adjacent squares is simply used like an advantage for some units.

I'm not sure yet. An advantage in vision can be done in at least two ways:
1. increase the range
2. see through walls and obstacles (usually because the unit is at a high altitude)

I have checked Starcraft 1 and 2. A zergling (land) and an overlord (air) have similar vision ranges, except that the zergling won't see through walls, and won't see units at a high ground from a lower ground. The vision areas are discs, minus the zones masked by obstacles.

2018-02-12 21:51:10

hello all I have a quesstion, what should i do on chapter 2? please help me

2018-02-13 01:49:14

Hello folks! masroor.rahmani, it is not hard. Keep making soldiers, about 5 should be enough. Wait untill the enemy attack and then go search for the remaining units.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2018-02-14 03:55:57

Hello @soundmud, interesting your investigation at starcraft vision thing. With that, you know that you're on the right way respecting to the vision on soundrts engine tongue

Well, some questions that I can't do a issue on github, because... aren't a issue:

Currently the bonnus_height flag is a int value? or a simple bool value. make a difference if I put bonus_height 2? It give to that object a vision of 2 scare radius?

Other thing. in mod html manual, says about the shortcut setting, that you can put in rules.txt for upgrades / skills. But... If i'm not wrong, that parameter goes on style file. So what is the final location for that setting? for all objects?

And well, if you can add this as a issue. Create areas completeli unaccessible. So like very high mountains that the flying units can't fly through  them.

Or for a far future, custom terrain types so you can define if a unit can walk or not over a certain type of terrain, buildings that can be builded or not over that terrain (bio creep like) etc

And well. This engine goes better and better. You gean do a really great job with this engine. For now, is the definitely RTF engine for blind gamers. And do something better is really hard.

¡thanks for all!

2018-02-14 05:43:08

It would be great if the terrain can be realized.

2018-02-14 20:47:53

bonus_height = 1 for units like towers or giants. Really tall ones. Even if they are at a lower ground, they should see all the units on a plateau. Air units have a height of 2. I'm not sure if I will keep this parameter.

In the modding manual, shortcut is in the style subsection.
https://github.com/soundmud/soundrts/bl … odding.txt

2018-02-18 12:32:22

Hi all, is there a good podcast how this game is played? Sort of an audio walk-through? That'd be really great!
Thanks
smile

2018-02-20 01:24:29

@soundmud, thanks for your answer. about the bonus_height well, is a good idea, specially if you want to fix the sight_radius for any plausibly unit on the game.

2018-03-03 05:31:57

hi everyone, jl5 map have high ground, Can this terrain really work?

2018-03-03 07:43:11

hello @拓海

yep, high grounds works fine tongue
If you want, you can add that type of terrain to your custom maps.

2018-03-03 13:01:44

sanslash332 wrote:

hello @拓海

yep, high grounds works fine tongue
If you want, you can add that type of terrain to your custom maps.

yes, I have added.
And there's another problem
splash 1:What does this attribute represent?

2018-03-04 05:24:36

I hope Add a function, when Common terrain catapult vs high ground unit, The hit rate will fall

2018-03-11 07:18:43

hi soundmud, Can you add the function that allows the player to customize the default command?

2018-03-11 07:27:42

hmmmm @拓海 what is your idea?
Change the default option of a certain type of unit at playtime, for example, to change the default action of certain soldier to cast some hability when you move it instead to default move?
Or change it at configuration level / modding level, to have the option to create units with a diferent default action.

In the first case, i think that isnt good idea, because is a type of automation of the game. For make faster your playtime, use the shortcuts of each unit or hability. The second case will be interesting tongue

2018-03-11 07:48:24

sanslash332 wrote:

hmmmm @拓海 what is your idea?
Change the default option of a certain type of unit at playtime, for example, to change the default action of certain soldier to cast some hability when you move it instead to default move?
Or change it at configuration level / modding level, to have the option to create units with a diferent default action.

In the first case, i think that isnt good idea, because is a type of automation of the game. For make faster your playtime, use the shortcuts of each unit or hability. The second case will be interesting tongue

Yes, I hope it's the second design
In addition, I hope to subdivide the capabilities of a remote attack unit
For example, some units can't attack adjacent areas Partition walls, have to have a path to the next door.

2018-03-11 09:58:50 (edited by Tuohai 2018-03-11 10:01:36)

Is the volume of each unit the same?
For example, the trebuchet and farmers are the same size
Logically speaking trebuchet much larger than the farmers
So the trebuchet should occupy a large space

2018-03-11 10:27:11

The observation range of each unit is also need subdivided
Now all units can observe adjacent areas
can let It is possible for some units to observe only can the northernmost side of the adjacent area, Some units can see further