2018-01-31 19:34:34

Hi all,
Nocturnus and I have been talking about developing a game for quite some time. With that said, neither of us is that great a coder. I know a bit and am a quick learner willing to wait and educate myself if I have to, but also aware that having to may take years because we're also in the process of raising children. Nocturnus is a great map builder, writer and describer, audio producer and sound designer ready to undertake development of the sound pack for VIP mud as soon as we have something playable, perhaps even before then. We've been hashing and rehashing the storyline, ideas for events and how we can roll out updates.
We're looking for someone or a group of someones who know MOO, and would be willing to help.
We can discuss details of the game and compensation privately if your into that sort of thing. You're probably thinking that this is like many other topics where someone has an idea and it sounds great on paper, and to some extent you're probably right. the difference? We're willing to pay as much as possible/negotiable to get it going, plus any money we make will go back to the developer as well as resources, maintenance and so on, all for the sake of what we have in mind
we get nothing and want nothing other than a great experience for everyone involved.
Please respond here if you are interested with your credentials and we'll send you a private message to connect with us. We thank you in advance and appreciate your attention

2018-01-31 22:12:26

Hi.
I see, yes this does sound good, however I don't know MOO or how to build muds in general. However, if you want to develop a regular audiogame someday, I'd be happy to code that, I have experience with python and some ruby, and with a little work I can do java and javascript as well. And if your looking to develop for mac or iOs I think I could do that too. I don't have anything to show you, but I've been coding for a long while now.
If you happen to PM me though, please let me know here as I don't check PM's that often.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-01-31 23:10:36

@Guitarman
I sent you a forum email because if you reply I'll get a notification where as if you reply to a PM I don't. Hope this works for you.
Nightshade.

2018-02-01 04:40:45

Hello,
Excuse me, but could someone please explain what moo games are? So far I've only known RPG, FPS and some small board games. Basically, on which latform we play these moo games? do we install them or play in a browser?
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2018-02-01 06:36:27

@amit

MOO stands for MUD, Object oriented. They're like MUDs in that they're entirely text based. A MOO consists of a server and a database. The database is where all MOO code and objects are stored. The server handles connections as well as interprets the code in the database. Examples of MOOs are Miriani, Star Conquest, HellMOO, The Night, etc.

2018-02-01 09:10:06

Hi,

I've had years of experience coding in MOO, and I've even compiled my own custom version of LambdaMOO. I'd be glad to help however I can. Just let me know.

2018-02-01 18:10:26

@Jason SW
Sent you an email.

2018-02-01 21:12:15

I would, but my skills are not up to production value, however, if you needed a builder at some point, as long as you develop some decent build tools lol, friggin @dig is for the birds. When I build in moo, I se it rarely, we have facilities that make it nicer. I also developed a little tool that lets me copy descriptions across rooms.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-01 21:30:46

@Ironcross32
We may be looking for builders down the road yes, and if so we will definitely keep you in mind.

2018-02-02 00:36:57

Evening,
I'm an experienced moo coder and its probably my favorite language, actually.
I'll be happy to teach you moo if you would like to learn.
It's an easy language to get to grips with and I like to think I'm a pretty compitant teacher[like to think].
I can offer to help you with the mud, but do bare in mind I already run one, and as such, would not be able to put in 24 hour support.
Still, I'm pretty darn good at what I do, even if I do say so myself! smile

Drop me a line and we'll see what we can figure out: [email protected].

No money. Money is profit. Profit is businesses, businesses fund the government, governments cause wars, therefore, me charging for my services is bad! smile

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2018-02-02 06:15:24

alright, gimme back donations I made XDXD

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-02 10:41:16

that's different. :d that' volunteary donations, rather than me saying, if you don't pay me x, you're not getting y. All the same.. I have refunded donations before

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2018-02-02 17:15:59

nah I know, jk lol

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-02-07 07:15:52

I'm also a good MOO builder, although I'm still learning. So best of luck. Hopefully it'll be awesome. big_smile

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2018-02-07 13:37:02

got a website up and running; we're freaking serious!  We're gonna make this entirely different from all you've seen in the past, because we're not going to fall into the same mistake of encorporating the past.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-02-07 21:26:05

Hi,
I know MOO as well, however have not worked on anything really with it for a while, so would have to refresh myself on it. However, if you guys are still looking for coders I'd be willing to help. I don't need to be payed though, and in fact would feel bad accepting payment if it were offered because I'm in school, not working, so no matter how much money I couldn't really devote much more of my time to it than I already could because here I think you legally have to go to school big_smile.

2018-02-07 21:32:04

@Lucas1853,
You're missing the mark; if you got paid you'd get paid for being a coder who contributes something, not for being available every day of the week.  I'm not interested in how many hours you put in, but how much you put in every hour and how interested one is in the project overall.  It's been my experience that most devs end up getting burned out on a project and losing interest, which is what ends up killing the project for devs and players alike.
Something I never seem to get across as well to everyone I talk to with perhaps the exception of one individual now, is that we don't care how long it takes to release a quality product; we'd rather release something good than release something that claims to be great and has tons  of features that need ironed out.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-02-11 18:41:56

We'll also be taking some builders at this time. We're still open to more coders as well. If your interested, send me a forum email as I don't check PM's offen.

2018-02-17 04:27:16

Hi nightshade I sent you an email.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2018-02-17 19:54:15

@stirlock I replied. Note we are still looking for more coders and builders. We do not mind teaching building at all.

2018-02-19 01:51:02

Hmm, PM or email? I didn't see it, I'll look again.

2018-02-19 01:54:28

Yeah I didn't receive anything, my email is stirlock at gmail dot com

2018-02-23 20:49:21

This is the information we've posted in several places. We are still looking for coders, builders, and people with ideas. We want to know what you like with the currently existing games, what you wish they'd change, but they won't, new features you'd like to see that no one has. Anyone can connect, and let us know if you are there to code, build, or to just give ideas for features, events, changes, etc.
Hello to all and thank you in advance for your attention:

We have a project in the works we would sincerely appreciate your assistance with. for quite some time we have wanted to build a futuristic game set some 150 years from now. We have story ideas, a fairly sizable to-do list which includes a ton of features and content, a myriad of possible plans to generate a modest income, and a ton of desire to continue working toward an end goal that satisfies the reasonable and rational. the end result, we truly believe, can be achieved with your help and devotion. Instead of asking for a monetary donation, however, we're asking for a bit of your time.

While we have 2 spectacular programmers working on our security, account system and other back-end features that have helped get our system up and running more efficiently than we otherwise could have done, we want someone to dedicate themselves to enriching our environment with actual game mechanics and features. At present our system is coded in moo and we'd like to keep it that way. While we currently can't offer you any financial reward for your services, we do hope to be able to do so and believe we can accomplish this as we enter a beta stage. We're being upfront about this aspect in particular, because we want no one to feel like they've been suckered into a scam or cheated somewhere along the way. We desire your time and talents, your understanding, and your generosity, as a group of gamers that want to make a game that blends both old and new concepts, creates a world that is enjoyable, and lives up to high expectations and always keeps giving its fan base more and more.

Given all of the above, we intend to make no profit off of this platform
I can't stress this enough. Any cent earned will first be put to server costs and the like, then to our coders. We walk away with nothing other than the public relations management, dealing with the devil, and encouraging you as much as we can, all the while giving you no time constraint, deadline or unreasonable request. All we want is willing hearts and open minds.

Apart from coders, we also want to take on a team of builders
these would be volunteers who are willing to put together content and drive the story a little further in doing so. there immediate task would include coming up with and building areas which could contain any number of things from non-player characters to shops, to the objects sold in said shops, to heavily described planets with roads and parks and houses and anything else imaginable. If you're a writer and you enjoy the various Sci-Fi worlds or simply want to take a stab at building one, this is your chance, as this part of the game requires no prior coding experience.

If you feel you're who we're looking for, feel free to connect to seranis.net port 2018 with your mudding client of choice, create an account, and give us a shout! We hope to see you soon, and thank you once again for reading!

2018-02-24 18:44:33

So if you haven't noticed, english is not my first language. I'd say I'm a decent writer, but having someone go and check for grammer issues in what I create would be nice. I know the general rules and I do spellcheck anything that will get viewed by the public, or rather, spellcheck anything that my teachers/other players in a game would see. My point is, if you're willing to work with me and my writing I'll be glad to do it on weekends as those are the time when I'm actually home. I am willing to learn how to improve my writing, too, that is, if you want to teach me.

2018-02-24 19:52:21

We would be glad to, amerikranian and anyone else who would like to try!