2017-12-18 14:05:01 (edited by Dark 2020-06-16 16:24:46)

When I started looking into Alexa audiogames a couple of years ago, I didn't realise just how many there would be.
indeed, there are now so many that the short list I began at the start of this topic turned into one article, and now has had to turn into two articles.

so Part 1, letters !/l is here, and Part 2, letters m/z is here.

As usual however, comments, additions and so on are very welcome in this thread.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-18 15:29:51

Here's a couple others to add to the list.

Jeopardy

This game is an abbreviated version of the television show Jeopardy and you get 6 clues that you get to answer each weekday from the categories that will be on that day's episode. If you have Amazon prime, you also get to do the double jeopardy categories as well, at the end of each day you are scored and ranked in what percentile you got in comparison to other players. You also get this at the end of the game on Friday for the entire week. The game responds to the voice very well.

Codename Signus: same as audio game for Android and  Ios, but sounds pretty good for the Alexxa. Earplay, which has the rights to  it and promises to release their other titles on Alexxxa as they become available, including hopeful new chapters and missions for codename signus., of which they already have several planned.

Vauly trivia showdown,

same game in principle and rules as the family one mentioned above except you play live with a real human opponent. Answer 7 true or false questions, each with increasing point values, though the 7th question is high enough in point value to make the others almost meaningless unless one player or another is doing very weel while the other is doing poorly.

I'll have to try chance dungeon though for sure and I've tried some of the others too. Also thought escape room was something else, so I might try that too.

Thanks for all of this.

2017-12-18 15:47:15

Thanks Bookrage, actually Mrs. Dark is quite keen on trying Jeopardy. Being as in the Uk Jeopardy is comparatively unknown it is probably not one I would've done, but we'll give it a go.

i've edited the first post a little to include more games and will go on as I find them, perhaps eventually turning this into a short article.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-18 17:12:52

If you are a Star Wars fan, I just discovered "The Jedi Code", it is described as an interactive story. I just enabled it, but haven't tried it yet, so I can't tell you if it is any good or not, but since I'm a huge Star Wars fan I'm always open to anything related to it.

2017-12-18 20:30:42

found another little something out there.

Dungeon Crawler: Exactly what it says, you walk through what seems to be a completely linear dungeon trying to find 10 treasures. I never had to say where I wanted to go but I used the word "continue, a lot." You'll either come across a room with treasure, empty rooms, or a monster. As with the classic XY monstername formats, usually you'll come across a monster with a couple adjectives tacked onto the beginning of its name that gives you some hints as to its nature. My favorite I found was the "dark dark knight." (not a mistake, "dark" was repeated twice.")

I'm not sure whether I like that game or chance dungeon more. The first time I played chance dungeon a few minutes ago, I didn't even get to chose anything because I got in a trap that killed me in the second room I went in so it was a "you follow the path to the north." and then after a few stock phrases "you are locked in a cage" game over. But I played it some more anyhow. Best I've done is 9 rooms and 1020 gold, with no monster fights. The one time I had a monster fight I fought an ogre and it beat me to a bloody pulp... literally.

I'm hoping both of these games are still alive and well, just wanted to put that one in for you and tell you I love Chance dungeon even though the game is sadistic.

2017-12-18 20:32:31

I'll have to say in Dungeon crawler, you get a bit more control over combat, as you can chose to slug it out with the monster or run away. If you flee you still go onto the next room. I don't know how to track my hp in it though.

2017-12-18 21:20:55

Unfortunately Dungeon crawler doesn't show up in the skills list over here god making this thing region locked is so bloody stupid  when all of the skills are free anyway, though I'm not sure if the blaim for this resides with Amazon or the  developers who forget that places outside their home country actually exist so don't bother enabling their skill for distribution elsewhere.

Dungeon crawler sounds very cool, perhaps people in the  states could do a bit of constructive developer pestering?

I've  spent a bit more time with Chance starship than chance dungeon, though on that one I've got on fairly well, got  over 85 power cells at one stage but didn't run into anymore before the aliens and space pirates got me big_smile.

I've had fun with dungeon adventure, though I had to look up  additional tips which you can only find on the facebook site, including all of the actual commands (sort of weird they didn't list those in game), and information like the fact that the game actually has quests.

for that info see this post and no you don't need to log in to facebook for that.

2017-12-18 22:09:02

actually, the thing that all Alexxa skills are free isn't exactly true. While activating any skill is almost always free, some have stuff on them that you have to pay to unlock via the Alexxa app on your phone before you can use them on your Alexxa Echo device. They are extremely rare but they exist.

I don't see though why regional blocking for apps ought to keep American apps out of other countries' acess, especially for other English-speaking countries.

Also, another game. World Detective.

World Detective is sort of like a version of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego. It has different scenarios I think but you will talk to locals and they will tell you hints about where the target, whether it is a missing person or a criminal, has gone and you have to guess the country. The goal is to use the fewest clues you can to get to the end of the game. My record is 11 right now.

2017-12-18 22:10:37

If you like adventure games, take a look at the Colossal Caves adventure, Colossal Caves is the first ever computer adventure game and was originally written way back in the 60s. There is also the Zork unofficial fan version.

As for who to blame for the region locking, I'd blame the developers, Alexa is just a service doing what the developers tell them to do.

2017-12-18 22:41:49

yeah bookrage I've  noticed that some skills require accounts, and charge eg shadow realm mentioned still either way it's not a reason to lock out people from other countries from playing, to be honest I wonder why Amazon even has the facility, fair enough if games are available in other languages, but even then there are plenty of people in different countries who are fluent in a first language not their own  and could play games in it, (my lady is fluent  in German for example).

Either way if perhaps people from the states could give the developers of Dungeon crawl some polite hassling about unlocking their ap it would be appreciated. I'd do this myself accept that I can't get access to the comments or contact pages for the ap without it being on the amazon.co.uk store.

@Orco, I'm progressively updating the first post and put in a listing for colossal cave adventure just now, that is one reason I'm using headings, so people can check what is in there more easily.

2017-12-18 22:44:43

you might be able to find it it is called "dungeon Crawler" not "Dungeon Crawl" so maybe that might help?

but pestering the developers/Amazon is definitely something we Americans could and should do.

2017-12-18 22:45:56

sorry for the double post, forgot you got the name right the first time. sorry about that Dark. didn't mean anything by it.

2017-12-18 22:55:01

Actually I didn't see your first post because I was editing the top list big_smile.

I actually did! find dungeon crawler on amazon.com via google, the problem is it doesn't show up in the co.uk version of the page or the alexa ap which as I said is most off pissing big_smile.

2017-12-18 23:14:07

So I haven't the time to read through the posts right now, but can someone tell me how to use this? I think I'm getting a dot this Christmas.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2017-12-18 23:46:17

@Dragomier

You might want to look at this forum topic:
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=23727

and this one:
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=23750

2017-12-19 06:12:04

Here is a list of some games.
1. American train empire
You build up a train empire.
2. British train empire
You do the same as the first game.
3.Pages
Just like the video game and audio game.
You walk around a dark forrest looking for eight pages.

2017-12-19 08:49:06

Wow. What an awesome huge list of games.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-12-20 06:55:30

Okay, I have actually now turned the big list into an article, find that Here in the articles room, I've also edited the first post to reflect the change.

Feel free to continue making comments etc here though, I'm interested in people's thoughts and the article will be updated further.

After all while I was busy christmas shopping today I did discover a great use for the Alexa, the first time I've ever been able to play random rpg dungeons while washing up big_smile.

@Psycho, The british train empire was the only one listed in the Uk alexa app which makes sense, even if it's a miner pest. Plus I think the game you mention as being called 8 pages was called three pages, still I'll check it out.

2017-12-20 10:30:54 (edited by queenslight 2017-12-20 10:39:38)

Interesting list you have there, I like it!

Most of these, if not all are available for US users.

In the future, I will make a general list of all Google Assistant Apps pertaining to "games." Unlike Alexa though, some of these are exclusive to the assistant via Google Home, vs the Assistant for Apple 9.0+ devices and Android 5.0.+ Phones/6.0+ tablets.
Yes I know, confusing.

PS. Many of the same Alexa Game Skills can be found on Google Assistant platform, though not all of them. In addition, there are many exclusive  Google Assistant Game apps, such as the "Disney" specific ones, and Google's "Lucky Trivia."

2017-12-20 17:10:34

I'm afraid having no experience of Google assistant or devices I don't know anything about the correspondence between that and the amazon Alexa, so a separate list there might be a good thing.

Eventually I do plan db pages for some, if not all of these, but manifestly there is a lot out there to add and there is only one of me big_smile.

Btw, I have found two very amusing uses for the Amazon echo now. Firstly, the ability to dungeon crawl and play other games while I do the washing up is pretty cool, and secondly, mrs. Dark is quite a fan of word of the day and Jeopardy.

Jeopardy I am less keen on, since I've noticed many of the questions are rather Us centric, eg, out of todays round there was one question about American Advert jingles and one other one about the capital of Texus, still it's a fun thing to do together, and the speech recognition is pretty good.

The audio rewards in word of the day are indeed getting rather more amusing big_smile.

2017-12-20 18:08:01

If Mrs Dark likes Word of the day, she might also like question of the day.

2017-12-20 21:36:06

Thanks Orco we'll have a look at that. She does enjoy trivia games, we often watch the quiz show chase together, or with my dad when we're staying at my parents.
I'd love to see a true trivial pursuit style game for Alexa rather the way Trivia crack used to be on Ios before the accessibility went bye bye.
she also loves crosswords and has demolished all of the spoonbill ones that aren't cryptic, and is trying to find more  (though sadly there isn't a lot else around unless you want to  fork out 40 quid  a go to Azabat, for eighty crosswords (which is 53 dollars according to Alexa)which  is rather on the steep side. That is one reason I'm checking out word and trivia games as well as my usual interests such as roleplay, but hay then again I'm a relatively omnivorous gamer, the only type of games that I find an active turn off are sports and motor racing, and even those I will at least try out if they're real time (though sports stratogy I find too incomprehensible to really play).

Getting back on track however, it now turns out the volley link people who made several of imho the better skills on the list such as world detective, yes sire, jeopardy  and strange halls also make several others that aren't around in the uk including Yes Mr. President (something I would love to try despite not being American), and a song quiz game.

Weirdly enough their holiday song quiz is available, but their regular one isn't.
Since however I dug their email off the web I've dropped them a line, so we'll see what happens.

2017-12-20 22:22:15

I have and have finished all of the Azabyt crosswords, they were pretty good and some were quite challenging, however the audio quality was disappointing in that there was static whenever an s or p was pronounced, as if a microphone was picking up the wind from the speaker's breath.

2017-12-21 03:23:34

Hmmm, well it turns out that they are £20 not £40 as I thoughtt, that is 26 dollars each which isn't quite so bad, albeit since we have the spoonbill program that can make accessible crosswords in various common file formats from the internet, I'll look around to see what I can find before I go forking over that sort of cash.

Just a note, i've been trying more skills and pdating the article,  two different versions of Hunt the wumpus, two battle games and an animal sounds quiz, so keep checking back.

2017-12-21 03:24:00

just some info about "Six Swords." I thought I'd share with you guys. I first played it about a month and a half ago. I like games that update frequently and I get a little bummed at dead games. I checked their facebook page routinely over the last month and a half without playing and didn't see anything except that there is a "Six Swords Kids." too. When I tried to play it again today, I found that about for every week I had been gone, there was a major content update, so the game is definitely alive and well.

I'm having a lot of trouble clearing dungeons. I have it so most of my characters have low-end magic items and most of them are decent in terms of fighting ability (though they are all still level 1) but even the easiest dungeons (measured by cheapest reward for clearing them." are kicking my but. 8 skeletons is a lot and 19 at once against a party of six is... wrong. But I played the game for hours today, so I couldn't have been that annoyed. I plan to try out a few more dungeons soon enough.