2017-12-15 12:07:01 (edited by pulseman45 2017-12-15 12:14:33)

@22: To be fair, in the first episode of the series, you could unarm your opponent, not by knocking him/her down, but by breaking his/her weapon. Simply put, if one used the guard too much, he/she had to fight unarmed for the rest of the round. It was cool but I doubt it will return anytime.
@24: It's definitely good news. Once I played Soulcalibur V and then Soulcalibur on dreamcast, and it felt much more fluid, and Soulcalibur II is close to that.

2017-12-15 18:37:58

@assault Hey I'm with you man, but sadly the hype is real for the guest chars big time! lol You know how it is, especially with a game like SC known for kinda awsom guest chars all things considered, but yeah you'd think that knowing the base roster would take priority. As for me, I'd like for Yun-seong to be included, as I had a lot of fun using him in SC4. They've also hinted that Kilik will be returning to his original fighting style, so that'll be nice if it happens.

2017-12-15 19:25:50

I wouldn't actually say SC is known for guest characters. SC 2 was the only one that was praised for its guest character choices. 4's inclusion of Darth Vader, Yoda and the Apprentice weren't terribly well received, especially Yoda's overpowered condition compared to everyone else. Ezio in SC 5 was a little better, but I still wouldn't say this series is as known for its guest characters on the same level as NRS games. Especially after how many one of characters thre were in SC 5, people will be more concerned about this game's base roster than any guest characters that might be coming. And I'm not quite sure if the hype you're talking about is yours or the hype of other gamers. haha. Bt we will just have to wait and see!

@pulseman45, I don't think that will be coming back.. that was a mechanic from Soul Edge AKA Soul Blade in the US if I remember. The unarmed fighting was way underpowered, which has something to do with why it hasn't been seen since that game, I think. But I was glad to see a similar mechanic come back in 4 and 5 which effected the damage to a certain part of the body if an equivalent piece of armour was broken. Though now having said that, Heihachi did do a good job as the only unarmed character in Soul Calibur 2 on the ps2, so something clearly went right there...

Discord: clemchowder633

2017-12-15 20:12:41

Almost every article or video I've read or watched on the game mentions guest characters in some way, so yeah I'd call that hype lol. Or maybe it's not hype, maybe it's just normal to talk about guest characters when discussing SC, because everyone knows that they're going to be in the game. I was actually under the impression that the Soul Calibur series started the trend of including guest characters in fighting games, or at least made it hugely popular to do so, but I could be wrong about that. I figured I'd bring up guest characters, because that's usually what I see people discussing with the most enthusiasm when talking about Soul Calibur, which could very well be a coincidence. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, the fact that Link was in the gamecube version of SC2 is what got me into the series in the first place.
What I am most excited about with 6 however is the game being a reboot, because no one will be killed off which means no limets as to which characters can be in the game. Also, I'm betting that the story mode will be improved.

2017-12-15 21:38:30 (edited by assault_freak 2017-12-15 21:48:33)

Articles and videos mention it right now because those are the only details we know so far. Guest characters have been announced... but at leastin the videos I've seen or thngs I've read, it's not any milestone piece of news. Again, SC 2, 4 and 5 were the only ones to have guest characters. 2 had one on each console, and 4 started with the same and eventually all star wars characters were available on both platforms. Having said all that though, I'm interested to see what guest characters will be included this time round.

Technically, the first fighting game to include a guest character started in X-Men, Children of the Atom, where Street Fighter's Akuma was a guest character outside of the marvel universe. Then the Street Fighter Alpha series brought in characters from Final Fight, which have since become a mainstay in the series. big_smile

2017-12-15 22:09:40

Interesting, I always did think Soul Calibur was the first fighting game to do that. You learn something new every day haha.
Anyway,  I think articles and videos mention guest chars right now and will continue to do so because we're talking about soul calibur, and everyone talks about guest characters when discussing soul calibur these days, seems that way to me at least. I would also think that guest chars bring people to the series, so they'd want to keep that topic alive. But yeah, definitely nothing newsworthy yet, just a bunch of top 10 lists and people saying which guests should absolutely be included in the game for various reasons.

2017-12-16 12:23:05 (edited by pulseman45 2017-12-16 12:27:02)

@28: Yes, it was a part of Soul Edge/Soul Blade. Speaking of unarmed combat, I wish I could have tested the Devil Jin style in SC5, but I never got the occasion to do it.
@29: If the game is a reboot I hope Hwang will come back, I liked his SC1 rendition and he is essentially another reason why I hope for a console release of SC3 Arcade Edition eventually.
I'm not especially interested in guest characters, but it is indeed not surprising they are here, even more so now that Tekken is also including guest characters. That doesn't mean I necessarily won't play as them, but I wouldn't care if they weren't there.

2017-12-16 21:15:29

Pulseman pretty much has the same stance as me regarding guest characters. I'm interested to see who they pick, but I'm definitely going to be happier if they bring back more SC favourites or spend the time designing decent newcomers. And for the record, I never tested the devil jin style either. I still have the game though, so you never know.. haha.

2017-12-16 21:36:18

I never could figure out how to find the devel jin style in the create a char menu, which is really a shame! And now that my third ps3 has burned out on me, it seems I'll never get to test it out, but from youtube vids I've seen it looks awsom. Pretty sure they even included his 10string.

2017-12-17 00:23:15

Same thing for me. I thought the character creation menus would be too complex so I didn't find the courage to try it.

2017-12-17 00:36:23

I played v a long time ago, and loved it I played four and wasn't really in to it we'll see how this goes!

2017-12-18 20:28:35

Just found the two following gameplay videos, but I'm very disappointed and worried if this is what the final game will come out like - stereo character select screen audio, but the gameplay isn't in stereo in terms of the combat audio?  Hopefully this is an earlier build but if not, then I think we may have cause to be worried as to the accessibility of this franchise.  Interested to hear thoughts on this though, videos are below:
Sophitia video

Mitsurugi gameplay video

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2017-12-18 22:47:57

Well, it's definitely a disappointment, and with 70% of the game done, this sounds like it's the build we're going to get. As to worry, my thoughts on the matter have been well stated before.. and I don't need to state them again other than to say that stereo or not, this franchise is still accessible, at least in my books. Stereo or not doesn't make or break the game for me, but others will feel different, of course, since I think I'm the only one in this particular camp. lol

2017-12-19 00:00:34

Totally not a gamebreaker for me. Will be buying this.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2017-12-19 10:58:19

Maybe it's just me. But after learning to play the games i did as a kid, which didn't have stereo, and still being quite good at them... it's become way less of a factor for me. I do decently well, and if I lose, stereo panning is pretty much never something I can put the blame on.

2017-12-19 18:24:16

Hi,
Agreed not exactly a gamebreaker, however it did effect me with Tekken 7 weirdly. But I  think it would be a shame if this doesn't end up in stereo eventually, as sc always has this epic quality about it. It still retains that factor though, but it does sound strange not hearing it in stereo after all these years. The same thing happened with sc2 online hd though. Even Soul Blade is in stereo.

2017-12-20 04:47:03

Well, like it or not, from the other previews I watched, stereo panning will not be a thing. Get ready for it, folks. Unless something changes, and rarely have I seen a game go from mono to stereo in mid development, close to the end. big_smile

2017-12-20 15:19:39

Well, they did it with a later build of King of Fighters, so it might end up being a post-launch thing if worse comes to worse.

2017-12-20 15:41:36

Wouldn't hold my breath, quite frankly. Namko doesn't have a history doing things like that during updates. But there's a possibility, I suppose.

2017-12-21 19:56:08

Great, I really love SC and a decent story mode as it seems to be would be good to. I wonder if taky will be back, she is one of my favourite characters and I missed her on sc5, even if we had Natsu.

2017-12-21 20:12:23

Think the name you are thinking is Taki... and that depends on the timeline. She was introduced in Soul Calibur 2, so they would have to find a way to fit her in the story if they're going further back than that. And I'm hoping for a very differentstory mode than in SC 5... the concept was good, but the final product was far, far too rushed.

2017-12-25 07:56:12

Well, more videos are out... and it seems mono is here to stay. Not a game breaker for me, but I do wish they'd kept the stereo.

2018-01-30 18:17:47

Hi,
Bringing this topic back: stereo seems to be a thing. I will warn you though, it's a slightly different kind of stereo to the earlier games. It sounds quite upclose, and seems to activate more during a ringout and during some situations. I have heard some bits of stereo in the following vid, especially the first match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPAc2u8CX0

2018-01-31 01:13:09

@48
This reminds me of DBFZ builds pre-release, that were kindof similar to this though the stereo wasn't as clear as it is in this DBFZ video.

I reckon stereo has a chance of coming back just proven by this and the character select screen.  If it doesn't, it'll be a shame but I will probably end up playing it anyway.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2018-01-31 02:31:51

Well, it's definitely a good sign. But in or not, I am going to be geting this game.