2017-12-15 10:43:54 (edited by User100 2017-12-17 09:47:43)

Hi, gamers.
I would like to present you one of my audio games. Its first version have been released in Russian comunity at the middle of 2016, and now I finally decided to make an English translation.

USSR, December 1942. World War II. Leningrad is completely blocked by fascist troops. There is only one way connecting the city with the country. It passes across the ice of Lake Ladoga and called “The Road of Life”. Food and ammo is delivered and the inhabitants are evacuated by this road.
But even this narrow gap is extremely dangerous. The mild winter makes the ice thin, and trucks often sink. In addition, the road is attacked by German aircrafts. No wonder that the drivers who worked on the lake have gave it another name: “The Road of Death”.

http://www.nuno-srv.pl/TheRoadOfLife.zip
(thanks to Nuno69 for hosting this file)

P.S. The game does not have an online scoreboard, so i propose you to post your achievements right here, in this topic. I really want to look at that person who will overcome the ice track! If such person exists... smile

2017-12-15 12:23:57

What kind of game is this? A driving game? Thanks for sharing!

2017-12-15 12:44:57

Orko wrote:

What kind of game is this? A driving game? Thanks for sharing!

Yes, this is a racing game with shooter elements

2017-12-15 13:37:38

Downloading...

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-12-15 13:42:14

sounds amazing. Can you fight with your enemies and shoot yourself or do you just have to avoid them? If you have made more audiogames, it would be fantastic to see them as english Versions as well. It's always good to have new things on here.

2017-12-15 13:47:42

Hi, I'm  having a problem. When I start the engine and try to turn, nothing happens.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-12-15 14:04:28

Ah, OK. I hope everyone enjoys the game. I myself am not a fan of driving games so I will pass on this one. Thanks for sharing anyway, we need more games!

2017-12-15 14:12:54

Niklas wrote:

Can you fight with your enemies and shoot yourself or do you just have to avoid them?

I tried to make my game realistic and historically reliable. Vehicles with portable anti-aircraft guns installed on them was too heavy to move by ice, and lite trucks had not any weapons for defence. Rifles are not enough effective. And how to shoot by a rifle when sitting in a truck cab and driving in the same time? smile No, player can't fight against enemy airplanes. He should only hope on stationary anti-aircraft battery, which are located on the shores and the islands. But you can reduce the chance of getting hit. See readme for details...

2017-12-15 14:25:58

nuno69 wrote:

When I start the engine and try to turn, nothing happens.

Turns are possible only when you are moving, not standing. To start successfully, you must turn on the engine, then switch to the first gear, then press the accelerator and keep it pressed. All control keys are discribed in Readme.

2017-12-15 15:26:45

download link not working

2017-12-15 16:31:21

I just tried it and for now it is working. As more people download the game, Dropbox will eventually block the file because it is being shared with too many people. The primary reason why I don't use Dropbox.

2017-12-15 16:39:12

Orko, thanks for information about dropbox. I will reload the game soon.

2017-12-15 16:51:10

Try this link:
https://yadi.sk/d/zmn4aHSS3Qed6X

2017-12-15 18:12:47

So when I go to the latest link provided, it takes me to a website, in a different language. I see a link that says install, but I don't know if it is the install link for the game or not.

Audio game king

2017-12-15 18:20:36

I just had a thought that makes my test of the download link meaningless. If dropbox keeps a record of who's downloaded the file, it probably noted that I was one of the first people to download it so it didn't block me. But when Andkuk tried they probably decided that too many different people have downloaded the file so they blocked him.

2017-12-15 18:57:10

Any tips on not falling in the lake? I just can't get enough speed because when i'm on the ice i get always killed in a second.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2017-12-15 19:07:12

Direct link without intermediate pages:
https://cloclo14.datacloudmail.ru/view/ … %40mail.ru

2017-12-15 19:07:50

Ok I got the game, and I love it! So many interesting elements.

Audio game king

2017-12-15 19:22:28

arnold18 wrote:

Any tips on not falling in the lake? I just can't get enough speed because when i'm on the ice i get always killed in a second.

Accelerate in advance. If the ice is cracks under the wheels, it is too late. If you have to accelerate by one gear, start doing it two-three hundred meters before the thin ice. If you need acceleration by two gears, start it five-six hundred before.

2017-12-15 19:33:51

Wait a second, maybe i'm doing something wrong. This is strange. I start moving ahead, that's fine. But if i turn to the west, i just sink under the water for some reason, my speed is at 15 though. When should i turn to the west?

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2017-12-15 21:04:04

I'll probably pass on this one too. thought it was a ww2 shooter at first when I saw the first part of the post.

2017-12-15 21:07:26

the link does not work again. I really want this game and the download link shows an error when I try to get it. Please fix this the game sounds cool!   Or can someone else post a link to it?

2017-12-15 22:01:51

hi there,
upload to cloud mail.ru
it's better than dropbox

2017-12-15 22:46:31

Hi,
How do I find out how many meters I've travelled, I died at cracking ice because I didn't know that I was about to hit an unstable stretch, is there a way you can press a key to find how your current distance travelled?

2017-12-16 03:00:31 (edited by defender 2017-12-16 05:17:17)

This is a nice game, and I like history allot, so it's nice to know another piece of it.
Can you imagine the nerve racking hell of doing this in real life, knowing that you could lose your life horribly at any moment from even one small mistake, or just fate, and never see your family or friends again?
They wouldn't even be able to find your body!
But of course if you don't, who will, and people will starve to death, (a much more drawn out death than falling through the ice and drowning) if you don't take this risk, the life of 1 for the life of many...

When I understood that 0 degrees is west in this game, it all got easier.
See, you are already facing west at the start, but the game makes it look like your facing north, so just drive forward.
You start at 75X, 0Y, the middle of the road, so if you turn west, actually now south, than you will go to the left side of the road and crack threw the thin ice there, because you will decrease your X past 25.
I wish the degrees were accurate, I honestly think the conversion makes it less intuitive, not more so.

Some tips.

Even at 15MS, you can easily reach the edges of the ice quite quickly, so turn as little as possible when avoiding the holes, and move back that way as soon as you can when you pass them.
So watch your coordinates closely when turning, and listen for the buzz sound that tells you your going straight again, holding shift will avoid turning too far to the right or left, but remember to release the arrow before releasing shift.

Also, remember that speeding up takes quite a long time, because every time you switch gears you lose some speed and then have to regain it, so if their is a stretch of ice ahead where you must go faster, than start speeding up well ahead of it.
You will not break through the ice by going too fast, only too slow. It will just be harder to avoid the holes do to having less time to react.

Someone asked how to check how many meters you've gone. Just press C, and the second number is that.
Press Q to find out the next dangerous stretch faster, but keep in mind that you must select one with tab and shift tab before hand.

Also, the islands might be confusing to some people who aren't as familiar with coordinates, I admit I first thought it was a typo in the readme when it said 125 to 1125 X.
So basically, they are both on the right side of the road, where the ice is usually thin, 125X, and the first one starts at 9800Y and ends at 10200Y, while the second one starts at 17800Y and ends at 18200Y.
It's easier to think of them like peninsulas or sand bars than islands, as they are long, thin strips that extend to the right aways.

To get to them safely, what you wana do is (right when you reach the start coordinates of one) turn quickly right while holding down shift until you hear the buzz sound, and make sure your facing 90 degrees, then slow down by changing gears downward (with Z) as fast as the truck will let you.
I would try to stop at at least 500X if possible though, to make it easier to get back out again.

exiting one is trickier; you wana start up your truck, and while remaining in first gear, turn left while holding down shift again, to around 300 degrees.
Once you've done that you should start speeding up to 15MS and checking your coordinates with C, until you get up to about 10100Y, or 18100Y, depending on which island your on, at which point you should quickly turn left to 270 degrees while holding shift.
Check your coordinates often, until you reach 125X (no sooner!) and immediately turn right to 0X while holding shift.

Good luck, and I'll edit this post if I figure out anything else or find better ways to do stuff.