2017-11-29 02:47:45

if you have your system set to ask before downloading and installing updates, do not install the latest quality rol out update. shows on mine as 204mb roughly. when I checked the information it said it was a bug fix for 4 different things. all well and good. after some things I read recently I made a windows system image backup before I installed it. good job I did. when I let it install and reboot everything went to hell. my security software went mental and it wanted me to set permitions for all kinds of things. Skype wouldn't run, team talk wouldn't connect, outlook went crazy. basically it's the update that installs all the tellemetary stuff they have pushed on to windows 10 users. do not, apsoultely do not let it install.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2017-11-29 11:21:36

Perfectt timing! I just got notified that updates were available. Though I usually wait until after I do my weekly back up to install any updates, just in case.

2017-11-29 11:55:17 (edited by Orko 2017-11-29 13:35:06)

I just looked at Windows update and the only quality roll up listed was this one:

Windows Update wrote:

2017-11 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x86-based Systems (KB4051034)

Download size: 124.8 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/help/4051034

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/help/4051034

Apparently SirBadger is running a 64 bit version of Windows. In the future it would help to let people know what version of Windows you are running as I'm sure that the updates offered for each version are slightly different from each other.

I'm running 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium

2017-12-01 17:55:08

After backing up my computer so I'd have a fall back if needed, I went ahead and installed this update and got none of the behaviors SirBadger claims to have gotten, which makes me question the validity of the claim that this update contains the Microsoft Telemetry components.

2017-12-02 05:18:41

I thought the telemetry components had been rolled out long before this point. I haven't been following it all that closely, since I'm running Windows 10, but I thought I had been reading about it before this.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-12-02 14:53:16 (edited by Orko 2017-12-02 14:57:39)

I saw something that said that Microsoft has been rolling out various components of Telemetry since some time in 2016, so for one to two years.

And consider this, don't you think that if Microsoft was actually key logging everyone that there'd be a huge back lash and that news organizations large and small would pick up on it? Yet not one single news source I'd consider even halfway reputable mentions anything about it.

I have a feeling that this is what President Trump likes to call fake news.

2017-12-02 15:07:18

I'll have to say I did download something of some sort on Wednesday and everything is working fine, actually better than usual to be honest. Perhaps Badger got some sort of Trojan windows update that attacked their computer somehow through windows update? That happened to me on my other machine once and it was hard to clean up. Not sure how the Telemetry stuff fits in if that is what happened, but might explain the trouble.

2017-12-06 00:00:45

Yes, if there was rampant keylogging going on, all of the reputable independent tech organizations would be all over that. One way to avoid a lot of the shadier stuff going on, such as your files possibly being submitted to the cloud for analysis, is to use a local account rather than a Microsoft account. You can disable, most, if not all, of the telemetry services using third party applications. And if you're worried about Windows Defender submitting files you'd rather not have analyzed, you can either use a third party antivirus, which admittedly is a contentious topic given how few of those are accessible, or disable the relevant settings (i.e. cloud protection, automatic sample submission.) This should be enough to ease most people's minds, given that we're in an increasingly connected ecosystem. As much as it sucks, we're going to have to increasingly sacrifice more and more of our privacy if we want the latest and greatest features. it shouldn't be this way, but until common people start becoming more informed, and any backlash isn't mostly seen as the ravings of conspiracy theorists, we've got a long way to go before any real change can be made on that front.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.