2017-10-24 15:02:04 (edited by GameCoder 2017-10-24 15:14:22)

Greets. I'm an old school DM. I do this to help my sons on the Autism Spectrum: I write code for medieval fantasy as a hobby (been a D&D DM for years), but I'm also a writer and merged the two (like a MUD or Text based RPG collaborating medieval fantasy interactive character building while writing  asynchronously with other writers, is it possible? Can you alter a medieval fantasy story made for everyone? Do it on your laptop or mobile anytime without having to install an app for free? Yes, you can do all: https://www.RulerOfKings.com

Understanding special needs I believe the game is accessible for the blind, deaf as well as those who have social anxiety.

There are lots of videos there that explain everything. Looking for writers to come on board and help build the world!

Note: Please understand that the game runs within a cultured community thus catering for a more mature user that is interesting in writing and not merely passing through.

Support thread for Blind users: here
Other support is in game using the support button.

2017-10-24 15:46:34

Hi game coder and welcome.

Interestingly enough this isn't the first we've heard of Ruler of kings albeit I think at the time it was around I was a little taken up with other things so never got to try it, still there was a major discussion of the game in This topic so if you fancy looking at some people's questions that might be handy, indeed feel free to share any thoughts on the game and how it's played.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-10-24 15:56:40 (edited by GameCoder 2017-10-24 16:12:52)

Thank you for the welcome. That topic seems to be from awhile back. The game is ever evolving so things change. The one key thing to note about ROK II is to actually understand it and all that it involves one really does have to play the game. Many do not read the opening pages, create a character with little to know skills and then think they have the game figured out, however ROK II is a thinking man's game and visualizing being around a tabletop may help. I collect feed back for the game here: Discuss otherwise it would be difficult tracking what people will like to see from various parts of the internet.

2017-10-24 16:26:11 (edited by brad 2017-10-24 16:32:37)

Hi GameCoder.

Can I ask, how does writing a game like ROK2 help your suns who have Autism? I have slight anxiety and really think it's awesome that people with anxiety are included in this game.

i'm just about to read the opening pages and make a character and think this will be a lot of fun.

I'm gone for real :)

2017-10-24 16:32:06

Hi GameCoder.

I've noticed that when using NVDA with the latest version of firefox that the text boxes for registration do not have text labels tied to them.

For example, the please choose a username heading is fine, but then the box has no label for screen reader users to know that what they are filling in is a username field.

To find out more and how to make your website more accessible to screen readers when it comes to forms,  click on this link.

https://webaim.org/techniques/forms/

2017-10-24 16:40:02

Brad, thanks for the feedback that is great to know (text boxes) as it is the first time someone told me about it and I want to help all users be able to easily use the game.

About Autism, sure I wrote a short article about it: Autism & RPGs. Also, sometimes people do not want to be around a group or communicate live because they want TIME to think about what they want to say. ROK II and our other RPGs provide that environment.

2017-10-24 17:05:59

Hi GameCoder.

Is there a forum I can bookmark or subscribe to where I may see the changes to the game? For example accessibility changes?

2017-10-24 17:18:32 (edited by GameCoder 2017-10-24 17:19:29)

Sure, I listed it in the first post:

Support thread for Blind users: here
Other support is in game using the support button.

Please list there anything you feel needs to be changed / added to make it easier to use as I also use that to track what I need to do for future updates.

General updates and discussion is here: Discuss ROK II

2017-10-24 17:34:58

Hi GameCoder.

Thanks for your replies.

2017-10-24 18:00:04

Hi GameCoder.

I am unable to post links to help you with things like labeling and alt text on the International Discussions  forum so unforchenetly I am unable to help in that way.

2017-10-24 18:02:56

Brad, I sent you an Email, you can please reply to the same. Thanks.

2017-10-24 18:06:10

Hi GameCoder.

Will do.

2017-10-26 05:26:32

I played this game before and lost interest in it. I'm trying to re-sign up to the International Discussions community, as that's the first part to getting into ROK. However, I try and login using Twitter and it appears to be broken. After authorizing Twitter the page appears to be blank.

2017-10-26 11:03:35

Thanks for letting me know. Its fixed now.

2017-10-26 12:09:45

This looks awesome, however, I have tried to login over and over and my name is right, my pass is right, my math answer is right, and yet I must be doing something wrong.
A

2017-10-26 13:11:04

The regular (manual) login works fine. Maybe there is something in the password. Please use the option to reset password. If not, please send me an Email via the contact page and I will assist.

2017-10-29 13:44:37

Hi.
The game sounds interesting, but I'm still not sure on what to expect from the game. Anything which makes the game unique? I'll check out the game later on, but it would be nice to see a list of features, know how many quests there are or how big the game is regarding to places to explore etc.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-10-29 15:15:52

A list of features is a good idea. I will make a page for that on the main site. As you read the 'Start/Rules' it will tell you what makes the game unique.

2017-10-29 21:47:38 (edited by GameCoder 2017-10-29 21:48:14)

As requested from SLJ I added in a list from the top of my head but it will be expanded later as I add / remember elements of ROK II: ROK II Unique List.

2017-10-30 09:48:37

Wow. Thanks a lot for the features list. This motivates me so much to give the game a try...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2017-10-30 13:34:28

Hello!
I've played this game before.. Its very good, I had a good time.
However, I had to stop because it came to a point where my coins ended and to obtain more, I had to eiter post a video, write a text in second person (which is difficult, because English isn't my first language).
Question is, have things changed? I remember this game really got me addicted to it.

2017-10-30 13:42:03

You are talking about PPs not coins. There are lots of ways to make coins, make sure to explore all your options including taking up work for a year. I guess you do not check Emails (maybe they go to junk folder) or stay up to date with Upgrades? See here:  ROK II Discussion. That is for ROK II updates and Discussion.

2017-10-31 11:34:06 (edited by Luel 2017-11-05 11:29:08)

Hello.

I have a problem with gaining pebbles too.
I found out I am to experienced for Lady Fluke's quest, her jobs are impossible for me to do and I keep losing in Gallows pebbles I used up my remaining FP for.
I never thought I would regret being to experienced.
As things are now my character's body stat is to low and I have no enough pebbles to train it with Lady Fluke.
I cannot learn any body-related skills.
So I am basically stuck with no way to fix it.
Not to mention writing is not easy for me either, but I managed it so far as long as it was plain English.
I see no sense in playing the game further.
I like the game but I just cannot see a way to fix my situation.

2017-11-04 20:27:28

Hi.
I have created an account, waited like 15 minutes to get my introduction approved so I could continue. Then I filled in all the stuff to create my character and reached the page where I have to write my background, which also needs to be approved. I find the process of creating a character way, way too long and complicated. I have spend like 45 minutes on all this so far, and I haven't seen for myself what the gameplay is like yet. I just wanna give the game a try, and don't wanna go through a ton of writing regarding to my character description and background even before I have given the game a try. All this approvement and waiting for that is driving me crazy. Why not let people play a few turns or find an other way to get an idea about what the game is like, and then force the players to go through all that stuff. In this way, people will do it, if they really find the game interesting. I'm leaving because I don't wanna go through all this before I have at leased tried a few turns and got an overview of what the game is like. I don't wanna spend that much time on creating an advanced character just to realize the game is not for me. I hope something can be done about this, because I don't think I'm the only one who is having an issue with that...

Best regards SLJ.

2017-11-05 13:17:03 (edited by Luel 2017-11-05 15:07:12)

Hello.

I may be wrong, but I think forcing people to write stuff is a way to ensure that only players determined enough to play will stay.

When I first was required to write something about my character I did not want to do it.
I was required to make up a background for the character from the game I knew very little about.
My first impulse was to just close the window and be done with it.
But I was curious about the game and wanted to try it.
So I ended writing something just to get me in the game so I could start playing.

I like reading and I have no problem with having to read carefully the text, but writing is another issue.

I do not mind waiting for approval, in fact, I am grateful for it.
If I am going to having to write, I am glad someone makes sure my writing is at least acceptable.