2017-08-14 06:32:15

Exactly. The only exception in the big companies here is EA which is doing an awesome job. Possibly Nrs too, but that's all dependent on whether they continue improving the framework they built or if they intend to leave it as is. Time will tell.

2017-08-14 07:32:11

Guys: If you start the newest version of the game and press alt v or option v if you are using Mac, you will get speech. Just saying... However, the speech is not stable, but the developers are working on it...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-08-14 12:21:31

As I said earlier, patience is the key here.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2017-08-14 14:22:13 (edited by BigGun 2017-08-14 14:24:55)

Have to agree, Developers are trying, but they are newbies to programming of audio games, as we can put it, and they have no experience with any audio game programming. So be pattiont, use what you can, and in joy!
Kind regards, Aleksandar

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-08-14 14:54:23

Hello, everybody. Thank you for your patience and support, we really appreciate it that you are so understanding smile
I'd like to answer a few questions.

BryanP wrote:

(...) I told her that they were implementing the accessibility mode into the game itself because that's how I understood it, so there wouldn't be two separate versions. (...)

Hello, Bryan. That's correct, the accessible version will be implemented into the normal release version. It was a separate version during Kickstarter, because it was a prototype at that time.

Ethin wrote:

(...) Also, I would like to note to everyone that when accessibility does get implemented don't start ranting and raging and screaming about how it's not up to top-notch specs. This is probably the first time Kevin and his partner have done this,(...)

Hello, Ethin. It's indeed the first time we work on a game that is accessible for visually impaired players. Since our resources are very limited with two people, it is unlikely that we'll find a solution to implement a few of the mini games, but the biggest part of the game will be supported and you're not going to miss any part of the story through this.

SLJ wrote:

Guys: If you start the newest version of the game and press alt v or option v if you are using Mac, you will get speech. Just saying... However, the speech is not stable, but the developers are working on it...

Hello, SLJ. Yes, you are able to start the TTS function, but it only supports all the features from episode 0. There are new mechanics and apps in episode 1 that will not be read out loud at the moment. We're working on it.

We're currently very busy with preparing to show the game at gamescom and we promise to ship the blind-friendly version after that, probably within two weeks after gamescom. Thank you all for your patience!

kind wishes,
Zein from Goodwolf Studio

2017-08-14 15:42:02

But again, why would the publishers care?  They're not going to lose any money on access fixes, since the company's hundreds of coders can internally handle it.

2017-08-14 16:10:12

@56, point taken, but keep in mind that usually when a dev that goes through a publisher wants to implement something so revolutionary, for lack of a better term, the publisher has to know about it, and usually it's the publisher's job to "approve" or "disapprove" of the idea.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-08-14 16:17:45

I'm sorry but I do agree wth the first post on this one. If you have blind people backing your project, at least make it playable on launch... Otherwise, they will feel left out. Obviously...

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2017-08-14 16:44:19

ogomez92 wrote:

I'm sorry but I do agree wth the first post on this one. If you have blind people backing your project, at least make it playable on launch... Otherwise, they will feel left out. Obviously...

But following that logic, that would mean that if japanese-speaking players back the game, we would have to translate it? Or if Playstation 4 users back the game, we'd have to port it? I'm afraid a lot of people don't get what crowdfunding means.
You don't "buy" something. You support a project, that you think is cool and you get a reward for it.

Nowhere in the entire campaign did we promise the game will have accessibilty at launch. It was something people wished for AFTER backing and we said we would do it and we will. We developed a prototype so you could play the game and get a feeling for what it will be like. But please remember that it was never part of the official Kickstarter campaign, nor part of any reward. We already confirmed that we will implement the accessible version of episode 1 soon, because we value your opinion and want to include you. smile

But please remember, when backing a project in the future, you never buy anything. You invest into something.

Zein

2017-08-14 16:58:24

Think of backing a project as donating on steroids, with perks, risks and challenges, and quite a bit of fineprint you should read before donating. That's why you need to read the whole page before investing your time. @Jlove, the unfortunate truth is that if a publisher is close-minded about accessibility, they can make an excuse and refuse, even if it could cost $0.00 on their part. Whether that will change or not with the xbox1 allowing use of the tts api I'm not sure, but for now unless these publishers get a reality check or a dev actually sticks to their guns and protests the publisher, and would sacrifice their relationship with the publisher to add accessibility, going indie seems to be the best thing to do at this point.

2017-08-14 17:24:37

I see this whole debate in three or four flavors.

1. Developers who want to include the visually impaired among their customers and make every effort to make their products accessible to them. The accessibility components of the product may or may not be in place when the product is launched, but if the developer is serious about their commitments, they eventually will be, all it takes is some patience.

2. Developers who's products aren't accessible to the visually impaired, but the developer is willing to consider making their products accessible in future releases. Again some patience is needed, time will tell just how serious the developer is in including us in their product designs. Some developers will follow through, some won't. The best way to deal with these is to vote with your wallet by supporting those developers that are willing to add accessibility into their product designs, and boycott those who won't.

3. Developers who simply refuse to consider making any changes at all or give any consideration to making their products accessible. While patience won't resolve this situation, neither will verbally abusing the developer, that will just make them more determined to ignore us. The best way to deal with this type of developer is to boycott them. Besides the problems the clients frequently cause, it's one reason why I won't consider using Steam. Why should I reward Valve's very wrong attitude towards the visually impaired community by patronizing their service?

4. And then there are the developers that promise great and wonderful things in the works, and then start ignoring us while at the same time taking our money for preorders that will never matterialise. Breakerbox Studios and their Steam Punk Neverland and Watch Tower Chronicles is a perfect example. He came on the forums promising all kinds of wonderful things and even said that for the low price of $25 you could reserve your copies of both games. That was two years ago. Has anyone who paid the $25 ever received their games? They also said they had playable demos of their games for us to try before buying, yet at this time all of the playable demos that did exist are no longer downloadable and attempts to get a response from them regarding this have gone unanswered.

The people complaining that code 7 isn't accessible on launch need to open their ear and listen for a change. There are only two people behind the Code 7 project and two people can only do so much. They aren't a Valve or an Electronic Arts with hundreds of coders available to do the work. It's just the two of them. Grow up and cut them some slack and be thankful that they are working on making the game accessible. As they have said, accessibility wasn't in the original tgame design plans. They could just as easily have ignored us and Code 7 would be for sighted players only.

I for one am very thankful that I have Code 7 to look forward to and intend to support these developers by buying the game when the accessible version is released.

2017-08-14 18:23:04

Orko wrote:

I see this whole debate in three or four flavors.

1. Developers who want to include the visually impaired among their customers and make every effort to make their products accessible to them. The accessibility components of the product may or may not be in place when the product is launched, but if the developer is serious about their commitments, they eventually will be, all it takes is some patience.

2. Developers who's products aren't accessible to the visually impaired, but the developer is willing to consider making their products accessible in future releases. Again some patience is needed, time will tell just how serious the developer is in including us in their product designs. Some developers will follow through, some won't. The best way to deal with these is to vote with your wallet by supporting those developers that are willing to add accessibility into their product designs, and boycott those who won't.

3. Developers who simply refuse to consider making any changes at all or give any consideration to making their products accessible. While patience won't resolve this situation, neither will verbally abusing the developer, that will just make them more determined to ignore us. The best way to deal with this type of developer is to boycott them. Besides the problems the clients frequently cause, it's one reason why I won't consider using Steam. Why should I reward Valve's very wrong attitude towards the visually impaired community by patronizing their service?

4. And then there are the developers that promise great and wonderful things in the works, and then start ignoring us while at the same time taking our money for preorders that will never matterialise. Breakerbox Studios and their Steam Punk Neverland and Watch Tower Chronicles is a perfect example. He came on the forums promising all kinds of wonderful things and even said that for the low price of $25 you could reserve your copies of both games. That was two years ago. Has anyone who paid the $25 ever received their games? They also said they had playable demos of their games for us to try before buying, yet at this time all of the playable demos that did exist are no longer downloadable and attempts to get a response from them regarding this have gone unanswered.

The people complaining that code 7 isn't accessible on launch need to open their ear and listen for a change. There are only two people behind the Code 7 project and two people can only do so much. They aren't a Valve or an Electronic Arts with hundreds of coders available to do the work. It's just the two of them. Grow up and cut them some slack and be thankful that they are working on making the game accessible. As they have said, accessibility wasn't in the original tgame design plans. They could just as easily have ignored us and Code 7 would be for sighted players only.

I for one am very thankful that I have Code 7 to look forward to and intend to support these developers by buying the game when the accessible version is released.

Have to agree with this post. There are only 2 persons that do the real job of coding, not to menschen that they know nothing about programming accessible games, this is complitly understandable. I haven't noticed the campaign, but I am going to give it a try and support in any way I can.
Kind regards,
Aleksandar

2017-08-14 18:38:09

Biggun: The Kickstarter campaign has come to an end. But you can still regularly support them by ordering a season pass.

2017-08-14 20:21:39

Yeah I know.

2017-12-05 18:58:56

Hey guys!
Just to keep you up to date: the accessible version is done and currently tested by blind players from the community. It will be available in about a week.

Cheers,
Zein from Goodwolf

2017-12-05 19:13:54

When the accessible version is released, how can I get it? I have the game on my computer, and I'd like to know how to get the blind version. I paid for the game, so if there is a accessible version, I want toknow about it. I hope I don't have to buy the game again.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2017-12-05 21:02:02

That's why I'm waiting for it to be immediately available before spending my money.

2017-12-06 21:28:01

One question I have is, what did you mean it was unusual to have German voice prompts with English voice actors? If you only have English actors, how would you make a German version? I'm confused. Also, it wouldn't be difficult to make the TTS prompts in German.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2017-12-07 10:36:22

staindaddict. If you purchased the game, you will get access to the accessible version. It is just an update of the game. If you have bought it on Steam it will automatically update, if you have bought it DRM-free, you just need to re-download it. No need to buy it again, don't worry!

shotgunshell. For now we will only have an accessible version for the english language, sorry.

2017-12-07 21:35:09

I don't speak German myself, I'm just curious as all.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER