2017-07-21 14:27:40

AUTHOR: ARIELLE PARDES
Wired magazine, GEAR
20 July 2017
WHEN HE WAS in school, Michael Hingson created a Braille computer terminal so he could study like all the other students. Fresh out of college, he worked
on the development of the Kurzweil Reading Machine for the Blind, the first commercial text-to-speech machine for the visually impaired. He's used white
canes and guide dogs, voice controls on his smartphone and virtual assistants like
Alexa,
all in the name of doing things on his own despite being blind since birth. But something as simple as reading a comic book, or finding the split pea soup
among all the cans in the pantry? Until recently, that just seemed impossible.
https://www.wired.com/story/wearables-for-the-blind/

2017-07-21 14:36:11

So is this basically like wearing Google glasses that has headphones or something so you can wear a mini-computer all the time?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-07-22 00:25:40

That brainport electric lollypop thing sound weird as hell. I'd love to try it, but 10 grand.... no chance.

2017-07-22 02:31:28

Agreed.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-07-22 13:03:00

I think that the article was mostly about Aira
launched six months ago and counts about 400 blind or vision-impaired subscribers.
It didn't talk about "Be My Eyes" which is like
Aira but is free and I think only uses WiFi in your home.
not  signals.

2017-07-22 21:40:57

Be My Eyes uses volunteers, and only runs a video call while Aira is a video call/still photo/gps/location combination along with the Google Glass that the agent receives through a call.