2017-06-19 01:28:56 (edited by guilevi 2017-06-19 01:30:57)

After about two weeks of work on this, I think it's ready for release.

Dark Defender is my second attempt at making a  game with elements similar to an old arcade. In this case, as the name suggests, the base for this game is... Defender. I wasn't feeling very imaginative, sue me. tongue

There are versions of this game for Windows and Mac OS, and if you have Google Chrome, you can also play within your browser.

Remember, this is a beta release and I do expect there to be inconsistencies. Any reports are appreciated. I am really hoping this system will work well for everyone. smile

You can read the manual and download/play the game at http://guilevi.tdrealms.com

Enjoy!

A fight we cannot lose.
An enemy we cannot defeat.
A destiny we cannot escape.
Follow me on twitter @guilevi2000

2017-06-19 01:32:26

I'm diggin' this! smile
I think the web has a lot of untapped potential. This also includes breakage. Let's see how it goes! Might be useful wink Good luck!

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2017-06-19 02:31:04

This game is awesome! But, i'm just curious: this was made using javascript?

2017-06-19 02:53:10 (edited by Muhammad Hajjar 2017-06-19 06:33:40)

It sounds cool. But I don't know why I feel I'm sounding a bit stupid in my question here big_smile but, what speech engine does this game work with? Since it didn't work with my nvda nor even windows' sapi, though it's running fine and I could still play, but I'm like a deaf man at a wedding procession, since there's no screen reading. Thanks for the game.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2017-06-19 03:34:13

it should work with nvda... or at least it does over here
I just have a couple comments
first, was it really intended to have to travel so far to reach the edge of the map? especially once I've gotten to level 9 and 10, there were so many captures I couldn't do anything about it became a question of which bullet I was eventually going to be hit by, lol
and is it just me who's having trouble telling when there's a ship that's basically right on top of me, but so far above the pitch modification makes it very hard to hear? and you can still hear it, but with your own ship's background it's kinda hard, at least for me
I've also been having a bit of trouble actually catching the humanoids after destroying the ships they were in, sometimes I can do it but others it just fails, horribly and I'm not actually sure if they're falling faster than I'm going down, or if I'm just flying under them and I'm actually going way faster than I have to
but over all I like it, it's a neat concept

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2017-06-19 06:39:16

Well it worked now, after a couple of restarts to nvda while the game is running. It's a good game, will give it a try. Thanks again.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470

2017-06-19 06:59:41

I am so, so, so!!! happy that a game like this exists, where you can play it on a Chromebook.

By  default its set to "Aria," though in the menu you can change it to using "Web TTS," at least if you are using the Chromevox screen reader.

2017-06-19 08:22:25

Even not going so far i like the consept.

2017-06-19 09:15:23 (edited by JasonBlaze 2017-06-19 09:16:11)

for those who has a problem with NVDA, just hit NVDA+space. and there you go.

2017-06-19 11:31:22

@Muhammad, by default it uses an Aria Live Region, which means you might have to alt-tab out of and into the web view sometimes if you're having issues. I haven't heard of that happening often but i guess it's a possibility.

@DD Planetoids do not get smaller with every level. I have never gotten a perfect run anytime past level 3. I am actually surprised you got to 9 a few hours after release. big_smile If people find this an issue, I could make them smaller with every level, but that would also mean that the activity would be in a smaller area.

As for your altitude comments, I usually have no problem with that, maybe I'm just used to the sound that the abductors make, I'm not sure if it's a matter of practice.

Catching humanoids is definitely something you get used to. You'll have to get usd to finding which pitch of the sound is above you, and when you get there just fly really tight circles. There is actually a quiet signal if you are right below a humanoid, but at high speeds it is not very useful at all, maybe just as a reference point for your circles somewhat.

@Trenton I was wondering when someone would try this on ChromeOS! smile I'm happy that it works, I assume this is one of the few audiogames you can natively play on that system.

I'm glad you guys are liking the game!

A fight we cannot lose.

2017-06-19 15:49:35 (edited by queenslight 2017-06-19 15:52:50)

Thanks!
Yep? One of the "very!" few.

The only other audio game that acts like an audio game on Chrome OS that I know of, is "Quentin C's Playroom,"
which works extremely  well, and no issues with the interface what-so-ever.
If there are any other html5 accessible  games that folks know of, please feel free to share here or create a separate topic.
(Besides that "alpha" RS Games web client...) *Sigh*
BTW, I have an Acer Chromebook 11 currently.

2017-06-19 16:44:42

@guilevi actually now that I'm more used to the game it is a little better, lol I wasn't thinking the field get smaller with each level, but just by a little bit in general
on the humanoids, I figured out my problem... lol didn't know you could only actually carry one at a time, at least from my playing so far

2017-06-19 17:31:37

The problem I have is not being able to see the enemies. When I see them it's usually too late. I don't know, if I hang around high or low altitudes.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2017-06-19 18:40:30

Nice game.
Defender always was a favourite of mine.
I do think the tutorial might be nice though since currently I'm getting used to when the pitch of an abductor  indicates when it's shootable, it'd also be nice to turn down the volume of my own spaceship engines.

Lastly, I have one bug to report.
when you get game over and a final score, the game just seems to sit there, or at least it does on windows with nvda, I had to exit with alt F4 and then restart to have another go.

You might also  including Sapi output to windows users who don't have Nvda.

I'll be interested to see where this one goes though, defender was always one of my favourite old arcade games from the Atari days and it's about time we had more audio remakes of classics than just space invaders, (I'd love to see an audio berserk or joust).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-06-19 21:31:22

OH wow, thanks guys it's working now directly with nvda without an issue. Thanks guilevi for the nice game, it's really fun.

Kind regards!

2017-06-19 21:38:16

@Dark it already works with sapi, you just need to change tts in options to web tts. Plus it should work with any screen reader as it uses Aria which pretty much any screen reader today supports. I'm curious if you could get touchscreens supported somehow, since this is a web game it could work even on Android.

2017-06-19 21:59:39

I haven't downloaded this game but I think there should be a tutorial option because I never know when the ships are going to either shoot at you or I just have to try my best.
also are there some pre-recorded Voices for this game or is it just sapi5 or screen reader friendly?
also does this game have a main menu?
and can you add a learn game sounds option?

2017-06-19 22:18:36

Nick, If you didn't downloaded the game why you're asking these questions? just get it and try it for your self.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2017-06-19 22:31:18

Lirin, you can play the game in your browser. smile

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2017-06-19 22:38:05

About the android thing i don't think it'll works, the game must be optimised for it propperly.

2017-06-19 22:41:15

It works on Android for me, you need to have a keyboard connected and have the latest chrome. I run Android 6, can't speak for any other version.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2017-06-19 22:42:18 (edited by guilevi 2017-06-19 22:48:19)

@Nick, there already is a learn sounds option, which even lets you play with the pitch with the left and right arrows, so you can see how it sounds. The ship shooting is somewhat random but still of course has a pattern, so I am not going to tell you when they are going to shoot, follow your instinct and try to time it! tongue

I just released an update to the game, fixing a bug with the shield sound getting stuck and adding separate speech to the items, since people using Aria on Windows are having trouble with screenreaders interrupting the item name when they get them.

@Dark, I don't think I will be able to have the tutorial ready for a while, I am going to be pretty busy for the next few weeks, but I'll do my best. The pitch is really the only thing you can rely on, that's how altitude is represented.

A fight we cannot lose.

2017-06-20 00:30:08

at about what level do the enemies fly at as in the how many times do you press the up arrow to fight them. An aproximation will help. This is so that I can know what they sound like. I wish there was an example of an enemie properly lined up.

2017-06-20 01:01:35

There is one. That is the default pitch in the learn sounds menu. You can press the left and right arrows in that menu to mess with it, but the default pitch is the normal one. They of course fly at different levels.

A fight we cannot lose.

2017-06-20 02:16:50

well, I can definitely say now that if you get to a high enough level, the sound starts going completely insane... lol
I managed to somehow open goldwave, create a new file and start recording a makeshift gameplay around level 12 or so, I cut a part off that involves my last stand, if anyone's interested
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8fyg9k0ja6mt … y.mp3?dl=1
the recording was originally like 15 minutes long, so I cut this last part off just to demonstrate what I mean
if anyone actually wants the full recording I can put that up too