2017-05-25 07:41:18

Well I know nobody has been in this topic for a while, but with may winding down I thought I'd drop in and say hello.

First, my lady and I were both rather shocked about the Manchester attack, especially since I've myself been in the Manchester arena. As always I'm actually more worried about how  "security" might go, (especially I might say in certain countries), than about the likelihood of further attacks, but of course that doesn't stop it being pretty dam awful, although what I know about Manchester did make me a little sardonic at all the news of people pulling together and what not, given that generally the city doesn't have a great reputation for things like avoiding crime etc.

Well in other news, I've been in something of a gaming related funk for a while without the ability to get into anything it seems, this is a shame since there are some games I need! to play for the db, and others I would want to play, but I just seem to have been in a position where nothing at all grabs my interest.

Well yesterday I did get a couple of things done, in particular setting up an Apple Id for my lady (which was a hugely fun process given the horribly redundant corporate idiocy of the process these days), and also setting her up[ MushZ since she wants to try alteraeon.

Doing that I logged in myself, and suddenly found myself becoming a good bit more taken with the game, actually   quiz tower on slo was rather cool. I've also started playing saga of the north wind from Choiceofgamesgames on my IPhone, which I think will be  fun one, though I'll report more in the cog  topic once I've played a little more of it.

I've finished revenge of the sith yesterday, and yee gods it's an awesome book. I read it a while ago (possibly an abridged version), and was actively surprised. Film novelizations tend to be pretty ropy and certainly neither of the two previous ones grabbed my attention, but Revenge of the Sith is something else. Far more character motivations and a really good explanation of why Anakin goes from "I want to save my wife", to "kill the children!" not to mention a  tragic and actually quite uncomfortable portrait (which actually Mrs. Dark appreciated), of Padmay as essentially behaving like an abused wife, even as she sets up what will become the rebellion.

I actually agree fully with This article on tor.com that  almost can miss of the prequel films entirely and just do Matthew Stova's novelization instead.

My lady and I are also rereading the Hunger games trilogy. This is one of Mrs. Dark's favourite series, and as when I read it I was at music school and devoured the books in short order I rather fancied doing them again.

it's surprising how compelling these are, albeit we do get slightly exasperated with Katniss on occasion, which can actually make reading things together rather fun.

Well that is  much enough for a bright summer's morning before 7 am, so hopefully everyone else is doing well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-05-26 20:09:31

End of the month; I have a kitten purched atop my shoulder as I write this post.  I'm not sure exactly how it is she manages to stay comfortable with my shoulders moving slightly back and forth as I do everything it is I do on my PC, but I guess that's her business, and it's quite fun for me, so everyone's happy.  She's fallen asleep across both of them a couple of times now, and when she's not there, she's sitting on the back of my chair looking out the back door... I guess.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-05-28 16:22:17

Cats are lovely. They have the correct attitude to life—the right philosophy.

Just myself, as usual.