2017-03-17 23:28:02

Disclaimer

Firstly, I am not creating this topic to bash Sam Tupy, Redspot, or any other game that he has created. I am posting this topic to see if any of you have had this issue, and to hopefully get a fix. Please refrain from causing drama on this topic.

And With That Out of the Way:

So, I was playing RS with a team, and was attempting to enter a base. I had 12000 health, along with a very large collection of items. As I entered the code, redspot.exe became unresponsive and crashed. I lost all my items, and had to restart. Another incident occurred after receiving a large number of wood. As soon as I received the wood, my game crashed. And this has happened even when I had default stats. I signed on, and boom, the game crashed.
I know my internet is not at fault, as I have 50 MBPS up and down, so what could be causing this? Have any of you guys experienced anything like this?

TGC

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2017-03-18 00:48:55

Allmost certainly a bgt bug, bgt games generally don't crash with this message if it's a programming error, they'll throw bgt runtime errors instead.
So this issue is not going to be solved without an update to bgt.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2017-03-18 02:05:16

roelvdwal wrote:

Allmost certainly a bgt bug, bgt games generally don't crash with this message if it's a programming error, they'll throw bgt runtime errors instead.
So this issue is not going to be solved without an update to bgt.

Damn! So you're saying this is a BGT issue, not a coding mistake on Sam Tupy's part or something else? Damn, just damn.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.

2017-03-18 03:05:31

Another thing that I've found: I logged out of Redspot, and logged back in 1 minute later. It said my name was already logged in, and when I went to the main menu, I heard status messages like "keven is back", "marko is offline", ETC. What, the, heck?

2017-03-18 03:47:48

all that has happened to me too. And also too many lag is caused by a large number of robots or lots of barricades. I have experienced all these things. The your name is already loged in, that too. I've been wondering if it has been a bug or something.

-
"There is beauty in simplicity."

2017-03-18 04:07:26

audiogame wrote:

all that has happened to me too. And also too many lag is caused by a large number of robots or lots of barricades. I have experienced all these things. The your name is already loged in, that too. I've been wondering if it has been a bug or something.

Yes, yes, yes, all of that.

2017-03-18 08:31:38

And something else: When I'm in the base that we create, when I have to press escape to get out of the menus, the game exits. I know I only press it once, too. I think this is also a bug.

-

2017-03-18 13:51:32

audiogame wrote:

And something else: When I'm in the base that we create, when I have to press escape to get out of the menus, the game exits. I know I only press it once, too. I think this is also a bug.

HMM, never experienced that one...

2017-03-18 22:18:48

Hi there. It just happened to me a few minutes ago. I had a large number of items and 8 item grabbers. Um, never seen it in another game. Something's going on because stw doesn't do that and god only knows how big that game is. So I wouldn't say its a bgt bug, never seen this happen before. I think its time for Mr. Tupy to use the garbage_collect(); function.

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2017-03-18 22:21:25 (edited by ivan_soto 2017-03-18 22:22:09)

As for your problem with the name thing, that's because Sam added a thing where if you disconnect, you can't come online with the same name until someone kills it. The players are stored in an array, and sam doesn't remove your name from the server, and making it think you're already playing. That's kind of stupid, but that's about the only fix you can get for people who go offline in the middle of an attack. You'll have to either get someone to kill that player or just change your name. Annoying but o well. The net event problems, that's an easy fix. Just destroy the network object when you go to the main menu.

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2017-03-19 11:45:01

For the name being logged in, that was actually a feature designed so that people couldn't go offline during a fight then come back online 2 seconds later ready to kill.

2017-03-19 18:18:20

Hmmm, maybe garbage collecting would fix the issue. It's still a bgt bug though, if I remember correctly, in the manual it is stated that the garbage collector will just run full speed when it's needed, and slow things down, not crash.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2017-03-20 01:15:05

blink_wizard wrote:

Hi there. It just happened to me a few minutes ago. I had a large number of items and 8 item grabbers. Um, never seen it in another game. Something's going on because stw doesn't do that and god only knows how big that game is. So I wouldn't say its a bgt bug, never seen this happen before. I think its time for Mr. Tupy to use the garbage_collect(); function.

Yeah. That's why I have a hard time believing that it's a BGT bug.

blink_wizard wrote:

As for your problem with the name thing, that's because Sam added a thing where if you disconnect, you can't come online with the same name until someone kills it. The players are stored in an array, and sam doesn't remove your name from the server, and making it think you're already playing. That's kind of stupid, but that's about the only fix you can get for people who go offline in the middle of an attack. You'll have to either get someone to kill that player or just change your name. Annoying but o well. The net event problems, that's an easy fix. Just destroy the network object when you go to the main menu.

That's just plain stupid. GRRRRRRRRR! Why do people have to abuse a game to the point where a dev has to add a feature that doesn't take you off line. So now, if I want to go offline, I had better just kill myself. Just! Plain! Stupid!

2017-03-20 04:27:13 (edited by TheGreatCarver 2017-03-20 04:39:14)

Another Crash

GRRRRRR! Was just playing with Brandon on RS when my redspot crashed... again... and I lost 98 wood. Sam, you need to fix this right away! This is very annoying. If you can't fix it, at least add an account system where all your items, kills, ETC. get saved unless you are killed, like STW. Seriously, I am thinking of just plain quitting RS if this is going to continue being ignored.

2017-03-20 04:32:02

Okay, so apparently the RS server crashed, kicking everybody off. What the... this is annoying as all heck, and something needs to be done about this reel quick.

2017-03-20 16:47:32

I have had a crash like this, its really frustrating when it happens, I was in fact going to my base to store items when it crashed. Really frustrating, especially since its a bitch to get back to that level of play where you have enough health and shields to fend off people.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-20 18:17:07

I've seen the error can not set main volume when going to the main menu.  But being as how I can't log in, I've given up on it.  All the lag issues are bad coding practices from Sam.

2017-03-20 19:10:45

From what I see, the game doesn't even keep logs, so yeah... Unless they're kept in a place that's not the installdir, anyway, without logs, its gonna be hard to find out what's going on. Unless some useful info is getting logged to windows event viewer.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-20 20:35:32

The game crashed to me earlier, because RBB launched about 150 robots, this may seem like a joke, but I can assure you that that happened.

-

2017-03-20 21:27:01

Lag is probably the server having to deal with a buuunch of messages getting sent back and forth, -- it is processing messages from 20 some odd people, looping through and sending it back to every client to let them all know what just happened... and who knows. If Sam is sending a message every time someone walks or fires a new bullet out of their gun... plus the base messages and everything else, there's no telling.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2017-03-20 23:24:30

According to Aaron Hewitt, Sam is not very good when it comes to network traffic management. I took this comment with a grain of salt at the time, but the issues being experienced by not only myself, but other users may add credibility to Aaron's statement. I also talked with Ivan Soto about the issue, and he said it was a memory leak of some sort. I have no coding experience, so can not say yay or nay to the memory leak theory, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ivan wasn't that far off.

2017-03-20 23:26:47

audiogame wrote:

The game crashed to me earlier, because RBB launched about 150 robots, this may seem like a joke, but I can assure you that that happened.

For clarification, RBB was a quite large team with a very large amount of resources.

2017-03-21 00:25:03

That comment you took as a grain of salt is very much anything but that. Launch 10 small projectiles, and jump in a straight line while doing so. You'll see.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2017-03-21 01:55:30

He could nail it down if he wanted to. he's got that admin team, they could launch a secondary test port on the same server and spawn grabbers or something just to get a bunch of items. Also, it wouldn't hurt to release an update which makes the game write log files, I don't know the first thing about development, but I know logs help.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-21 02:29:51

severestormsteve1 wrote:

That comment you took as a grain of salt is very much anything but that. Launch 10 small projectiles, and jump in a straight line while doing so. You'll see.

Yeah. No kidding.